CU - Boulder class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ptblazer

Bronze

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Post by ptblazer » Fri May 20, 2011 4:09 pm

calified wrote:Does anyone know when we actually get access to our student loans/how we get access to them? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have it to pay my August rent or not...
Haha, I think I know who you are ;)

My understanding is that the money is not released to us until the weekend before classes start at which time they deduct the tuition and refund the rest. So any moving costs and august rent will probably need to be paid without the direct assistance of loans.

However, I could be wrong, hope you get a better answer. :)

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat May 21, 2011 5:01 pm

ptblazer wrote:
calified wrote:Does anyone know when we actually get access to our student loans/how we get access to them? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have it to pay my August rent or not...

My understanding is that the money is not released to us until the weekend before classes start at which time they deduct the tuition and refund the rest. So any moving costs and august rent will probably need to be paid without the direct assistance of loans.

Unfortunately, you're correct. Generally speaking, you don't get your money until a couple days before classes start at the earliest, and a few days into the semester at the latest. Additionally, note that orientation week is the week before classes actually start as far as financial aid is concerned. If they give you too much money (which they always seem to do when you're on scholarship; typically by thousands of dollars), set it aside as they'll notice sometime in late-September and send you a bill for it that's immediately due.

Paying August's rent won't be as big a deal as paying for the $1000 worth of books you'll have to pick up. The answer: credit cards (and move into a big enough apartment complex where you can pay the rent using them). You won't have the money to pay for January's rent or new books either.

-Pufer

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Anyone look at the Admitted Students website recently? There's a summer reading list I didn't notice before and also this letter:

--LinkRemoved--

Has some good information including how to activate your CU email address.

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Mon May 23, 2011 5:07 pm

so I was in Boulder this weekend and took the student-led tour Friday. a funny moment was when the 3L was showing us the commons and this sign she had never seen before was there. CU-Boulder, party school for sure.

--ImageRemoved--

I took more photos and will probably put them in the law school photos thread tonight.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:11 pm

LOL.

How was the tour by the way?
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm

The tour was pretty nice. The guide was cool and down to earth and went through the school pretty quick. We chatted about the student atmosphere for a bit after the tour though. She even introduced me to a 1L who she was getting drinks with after. The building is nice and new, I can see how all the law students get to know each other, regardless of class. We ran into some professors at the clinic who seemed pretty kind and welcoming. In my group there was one other admitted student for the fall, a waitlisted dude and some prospectives.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm

So, I've finally decided that I'm for sure heading to Boulder in the fall after all my wishy-washiness. Heading out in a couple weeks to find an apt and such. See you all in the fall!

calified

New

Post by calified » Tue May 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Pufer wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

Unfortunately, you're correct. Generally speaking, you don't get your money until a couple days before classes start at the earliest, and a few days into the semester at the latest. Additionally, note that orientation week is the week before classes actually start as far as financial aid is concerned. If they give you too much money (which they always seem to do when you're on scholarship; typically by thousands of dollars), set it aside as they'll notice sometime in late-September and send you a bill for it that's immediately due.

Paying August's rent won't be as big a deal as paying for the $1000 worth of books you'll have to pick up. The answer: credit cards (and move into a big enough apartment complex where you can pay the rent using them). You won't have the money to pay for January's rent or new books either.

-Pufer
Thanks so much!! I guess I'll start saving for that and make sure my credit card has a 0 balance. :)

calified

New

Post by calified » Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 pm

ptblazer wrote:

hehe I've been found out! Thanks a lot!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

LeDique wrote:So, I've finally decided that I'm for sure heading to Boulder in the fall after all my wishy-washiness. Heading out in a couple weeks to find an apt and such. See you all in the fall!
Good to hear!!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue May 24, 2011 6:07 pm

calified wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

hehe I've been found out! Thanks a lot!!
Don't worry, your identity is safe with me. haha :)

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 am

morning y'all--
i've been sick as a dog for the past few days but wanted to pop in and say i got a letter with some updated info, how to activate email, more vague info about financial aid, etc...and there is new stuff on the admitted student page if you're interested...
getting closer and closer!!!

oh, and lol at the suggested reading. i mean, we only have until august for heaven's sake!!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed May 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Yeah. You should all probably ignore whatever they're suggesting that you read (although some people really dig Getting to Maybe, if that happens to be on the list). The "required" book for orientation week isn't even all that necessary (I assume this is happening again this year; you'll discuss it for about an hour in small groups over lunch with a professor and maybe a current student or two - skimming the book/reading an online summary is totally sufficient unless you actually want to read it for some reason).

-Pufer

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Wed May 25, 2011 5:46 pm

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Wed May 25, 2011 6:17 pm

nathan. wrote:okay updated the photos thread!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p4430827
Great pictures!

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Agreed. Looks pretty overcast at first when you're driving(?) in, but then most of the shots against the law building have a gorgeous backdrop of blue sky.

Also, the guide was also the girl who our group had on ASD. She had just presented her first case ever in front of a judge for her PD Clinic.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu May 26, 2011 7:54 am

nathan. wrote:okay updated the photos thread!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p4430827
awesome pics!!! i can't wait to get back there!!! and the fact that there is a fox running around the buildings just makes me happier :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for the awesome pictures nathan! Makes me wish I was there already!

The fox is cute :D

nathan.

New

Post by nathan. » Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 pm

I forgot to post this one of Pearl Street.

note the hippie's sign. interesting place.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Thu May 26, 2011 1:20 pm

nathan. wrote:I forgot to post this one of Pearl Street.

Anyone else scanning the CL ads for roommates? I can't help but note the overwhelming amount of people quick to point out "420 friendly." Even had one gal who boasted about having a MMJ card right in her headline. I guess that's a selling point to some people, haha.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu May 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
nathan. wrote:I forgot to post this one of Pearl Street.

Anyone else scanning the CL ads for roommates? I can't help but note the overwhelming amount of people quick to point out "420 friendly." Even had one gal who boasted about having a MMJ card right in her headline. I guess that's a selling point to some people, haha.
haha that's awesome. I haven't been looking for roommates because I'd rather live alone. I'm basically looking at the neighbors immediately east of the law school. Anywhere else I should really consider neighborhood-wise? I know it's come up in this thread before. Guess I'll dig later if no one wants to remind me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Great pic of the undercover narcotics agent !

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Thu May 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Hey guys- does anyone know anything about UG loan deferment? I know that our law school loans won't be dispersed until a few days before classes, but does this have any effect on other loan deferment (I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to pay my UG student loans through August)?

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:Hey guys- does anyone know anything about UG loan deferment? I know that our law school loans won't be dispersed until a few days before classes, but does this have any effect on other loan deferment (I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to pay my UG student loans through August)?
I'm planning on having to make loan payments through August, since most of mine are due between the 10th and 15th, before class officially begins.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu May 26, 2011 2:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Great pic of the undercover narcotics agent !
You see that in Colorado, and can be pretty sure it's actually not a narc, just someone who doesn't have any money to spend on weed because... well, he spent it all on weed.

People smoke it pretty openly here - on the street, at the bus stop, on the mall, whereever. Decriminilization has been very weird (and there's more medical pot shops in Denver than there are Starbucks. Think about that for a while...)

(Oh yeah, I'm not a smoker. Can't stand the smell, which pretty much means I'm always annoyed walking down the street.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”