CU - Boulder class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
queenlizzie13

Silver

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:20 pm

upfish wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
I am curious if the margaritas will be able to beat the margaritas I get right by my house currently..
Yeah, same here.

One of the costs of CO will definitely be moving away from killer cheap Mexican food.
Seriously in Sweden we all went to a mexican restaurant because we missed mexican food (this was about a month and a half into the study abroad program)

not that the food was that good, but it was still enjoyable after not having it for so long.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:21 pm

oldhippie wrote:do they have good mexican food in CO? i was hoping so just by virtue of it being closer to mexico than i am now :D
Oh... they better have good mexican food in CO. I survive off mexican food.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:22 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote: Yes!!!! I lived in boston for a year and not having any good cheap mexican food around was a terrible experience that I vowed I would never suffer through again!
Haha, yeah.

Btw, I saw you were going to the diversity dinner. I was thinking about going too, but I'm not like, visibly "diverse." I'm Cherokee, but I'm on the lighter side, and I was worried about having to constantly re-explain things. Do you think that would be a big deal? =/
Haha actually ptblazer and I are the same way and we we're talking about our concerns about that the other day too. I'm cherokee too, but I show my german roots from my moms side more and pt is the same way. We felt better about going once we discovered each other, so no twee, you will fit in with us pale natives! Welcome to the club! Lol
Awesome! I was worried I would be the one white kid looking like a total douche. I will RSVP for the diversity events too, then. :)

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 pm

ptblazer wrote:
oldhippie wrote:do they have good mexican food in CO? i was hoping so just by virtue of it being closer to mexico than i am now :D
I haven't heard good things, but a CO native who has been to South TX or CA might be able to help us out with our fears haha.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 pm

ptblazer wrote:
no kidding!! because i also tend to subsist mostly on mexican food :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote: Yes!!!! I lived in boston for a year and not having any good cheap mexican food around was a terrible experience that I vowed I would never suffer through again!
Haha, yeah.

Btw, I saw you were going to the diversity dinner. I was thinking about going too, but I'm not like, visibly "diverse." I'm Cherokee, but I'm on the lighter side, and I was worried about having to constantly re-explain things. Do you think that would be a big deal? =/
Haha actually ptblazer and I are the same way and we we're talking about our concerns about that the other day too. I'm cherokee too, but I show my german roots from my moms side more and pt is the same way. We felt better about going once we discovered each other, so no twee, you will fit in with us pale natives! Welcome to the club! Lol
Awesome! I was worried I would be the one white kid looking like a total douche. I will RSVP for the diversity events too, then. :)
I RSVP'd for the diversity event as well.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Alright so drinks after the diversity dinner then since a good portion of us are going to it?

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Alright so drinks after the diversity dinner then since a good portion of us are going to it?
I am obviously pro this idea. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Alright so drinks after the diversity dinner then since a good portion of us are going to it?
Prediction: all the tlsers are going to be hungover during the diversity brunch on saturday.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
Prediction: all the tlsers are going to be hungover during the diversity brunch on saturday.
Haha. I don't drink, so it is going to have to be all-1.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm

ptblazer wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
Haha. I don't drink, so it is going to have to be all-1.
Haha actually, lets make that -2 because I know how to hold my booze :wink:

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

thewarflamingo wrote: Haha actually, lets make that -2 because I know how to hold my booze :wink:
This is true, haha. By the time you get to law school, I would hope you don't drink like an 18 year-old. It's an important life skill to be able to hold your (in my case) liquor! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote: Haha actually, lets make that -2 because I know how to hold my booze :wink:
This is true, haha. By the time you get to law school, I would hope you don't drink like an 18 year-old. It's an important life skill to be able to hold your (in my case) liquor! :lol:
Haha yes, although the altitude will probably kick my ass lol

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:33 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
Oo, I hadn't thought about that! I'm nearly at sea level here!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:39 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
Oo, I hadn't thought about that! I'm nearly at sea level here!
+1.

Also running is going to be very difficult for the first few weeks. I am going to be huffing and puffing along the trails...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:51 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote: +1.

Also running is going to be very difficult for the first few weeks. I am going to be huffing and puffing along the trails...
Ahhh damn, I'm a runner too and didn't even think of this. blahhh, but at least it shouldn't be as bad as running in the TX heat and humidity, now that is hell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Ahhh damn, I'm a runner too and didn't even think of this. blahhh, but at least it shouldn't be as bad as running in the TX heat and humidity, now that is hell.
I'm so glad we're all TX runners! I hadn't thought about that either. I thought I hated things here, but now they are starting to seem like my normal conditions. :shock: Maybe it's because I just came from a champagne bar and had a couple of drinks, but I am feeling some sadness about maybe leaving STX.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

I'm so glad we're all TX runners! I hadn't thought about that either. I thought I hated things here, but now they are starting to seem like my normal conditions. :shock: Maybe it's because I just came from a champagne bar and had a couple of drinks, but I am feeling some sadness about maybe leaving STX.
awwww I get sad about the possibility of having to leave TX, too. I think we need to start a support group.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm

So, I'm not very diverse, so I sadly cannot attend the diversity event, but can I still meet up with y'all for the margaritas? :mrgreen:

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:So, I'm not very diverse, so I sadly cannot attend the diversity event, but can I still meet up with y'all for the margaritas? :mrgreen:
Me too!

We can set a time or something and all meet at the bar. I think they have the best margaritas, but DEFINITELY NOT the best Mexican food at this place, haha. You're actually only allowed to order 3 margaritas per visit because they're so potent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 am

upfish wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
I haven't heard good things, but a CO native who has been to South TX or CA might be able to help us out with our fears haha.
What you'll think of the mexican food in and around Boulder is largely dependent on how seriously you take your mexican food. That said, in Boulder, the following are pretty much unquestionable truths:

1. You won't find any good New Mexican food.
2. You won't find any good Tex-Mex.
3. You won't find any place that serves food identifiable to some actual region of Mexico.
4. You won't find anything cheap by anything but Boulder standards.

If, however, you think that paying $8 for an okay big burrito filled with shredded beef and smothered with some manner of sauce—and served along side chips, salsa, beans, and rice—constitutes "good, cheap mexican food," you'll be fine at places like Efrain's. You'll also do fine if you're cool with "Colorado-style Mexican food," which is basically a gringo-friendly mash-up of various northern Mexican regional foods, some Californian influences, and unique Colorado dishes (like the "crispy chile relleno," which is actually some manner of eggroll, and an abomination).

I'm a native New Mexican and a foodie who grew up the only gringo in a hispanic barrio. In my opinion, the closest solid mexican joint is 40 minutes away in Wheat Ridge.
bananeez wrote:We can set a time or something and all meet at the bar. I think they have the best margaritas, but DEFINITELY NOT the best Mexican food at this place, haha. You're actually only allowed to order 3 margaritas per visit because they're so potent.
Rio?

-Pufer

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 am

Pufer wrote:
What you'll think of the mexican food in and around Boulder is largely dependent on how seriously you take your mexican food. That said, in Boulder, the following are pretty much unquestionable truths:

1. You won't find any good New Mexican food.
2. You won't find any good Tex-Mex.
3. You won't find any place that serves food identifiable to some actual region of Mexico.
4. You won't find anything cheap by anything but Boulder standards.

If, however, you think that paying $8 for an okay big burrito filled with shredded beef and smothered with some manner of sauce—and served along side chips, salsa, beans, and rice—constitutes "good, cheap mexican food," you'll be fine at places like Efrain's. You'll also do fine if you're cool with "Colorado-style Mexican food," which is basically a gringo-friendly mash-up of various northern Mexican regional foods, some Californian influences, and unique Colorado dishes (like the "crispy chile relleno," which is actually some manner of eggroll, and an abomination).
This is hilarious because he is so right.
Pufer wrote:
bananeez wrote:We can set a time or something and all meet at the bar. I think they have the best margaritas, but DEFINITELY NOT the best Mexican food at this place, haha. You're actually only allowed to order 3 margaritas per visit because they're so potent.
Rio?

-Pufer
Of course!!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 am

echoing the concerns about altitude, but when we visited in november, at the end of one week we were feeling much better and able to hike for more than 5 minutes without huffin and puffin!
and it definitely makes for cheaper nights out drinking, at least at first :wink:

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:41 am

40 minutes away for a decent mexican place? I can handle that. I wish Santa Fe was closer to Boulder, so I could make some trips to eat at Tomasita's, hmm it may be worth the 5 hour drive though...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”