Loyola Law School Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
gothamm

Silver

Re: Loyola Law School Class of 2014

Post by gothamm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm

From what i have read, they do not stack sections

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 pm

thepete wrote:For those whose decisions are not set in stone and still might be debating between the choice of USD and Loyola, check this out http://blogs.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen ... ke-160000/. Isn't it interesting how USD's average starting salary is higher than both Pepperdine and Loyola, especially roughly by 6k?? I am now in a greater dillema than before..
it is laughable to think that usd grads are making more than emory, ND, Hastings and about the same as texas

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Don't see why you are placing Hastings on a pedestal higher than USD. They are more or less the same. Hastings has to deal with much stiffer competition.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 pm

I AM IN!!! I AM IN!!!! AHHHHHH!!!

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:20 pm

gothamm wrote:I AM IN!!! I AM IN!!!! AHHHHHH!!!
haha congrats man! about time!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:50 pm

gothamm wrote:From what i have read, they do not stack sections
You are correct, the school does not. Every section has a good mix of scholly and non-scholly people.

And
gothamm wrote:
thepete wrote:For those whose decisions are not set in stone and still might be debating between the choice of USD and Loyola, check this out http://blogs.forbes.com/kurtbadenhausen ... ke-160000/. Isn't it interesting how USD's average starting salary is higher than both Pepperdine and Loyola, especially roughly by 6k?? I am now in a greater dillema than before..
it is laughable to think that usd grads are making more than emory, ND, Hastings and about the same as texas
Yeah... Something smells funny with the data.

jramirez05

New

Post by jramirez05 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:43 am

Hey future classmates. I'll be seeing all of you in the fall! I finally decided and sent in the 1st deposit.

In case anyone hasn't gotten the info, the Preview Day is 4/15 2:30-8:00pm. I'll be there. So 2 questions:

1. I know the following course list is for the 1st year, but does anyone know which ones specifically will be the 1st semester?

Civil Procedure
Contracts
Constitutional Law
Criminal Law
Legal Research and Writing
Property
Torts

2. Living- ah the problem with LA. So which do you think are the safest, closest, yet most reasonably priced areas? I was looking at Los Feliz, Glendale, and Culver City.

I am also thinking of living in the O.C. and commuting (more likely). Is anyone else doing this? Carpool???? This would be my ideal option as I wouldn't have to carry a gun to protect myself and not carry $20 in change to give out everyday. So if anyone is planning to commute from the OC, I would be more than happy to carpool! I'm thinking of living in the North OC (Fullerton, Brea, etc.)

IamKristieHi

New

Post by IamKristieHi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:49 am

jramirez05 wrote:Hey future classmates. I'll be seeing all of you in the fall! I finally decided and sent in the 1st deposit.

In case anyone hasn't gotten the info, the Preview Day is 4/15 2:30-8:00pm. I'll be there. So 2 questions:

1. I know the following course list is for the 1st year, but does anyone know which ones specifically will be the 1st semester?

Civil Procedure
Contracts
Constitutional Law
Criminal Law
Legal Research and Writing
Property
Torts

2. Living- ah the problem with LA. So which do you think are the safest, closest, yet most reasonably priced areas? I was looking at Los Feliz, Glendale, and Culver City.

I am also thinking of living in the O.C. and commuting (more likely). Is anyone else doing this? Carpool???? This would be my ideal option as I wouldn't have to carry a gun to protect myself and not carry $20 in change to give out everyday. So if anyone is planning to commute from the OC, I would be more than happy to carpool! I'm thinking of living in the North OC (Fullerton, Brea, etc.)
1) At this point I'm pretty much set on Loyola as well, so I will be there in the fall too :) As for your first question, your classes depend entirely on which section you are placed into. Some people have Torts first semester, Property second semester, and then do Contracts year-long, while others may do Property first semester, Contracts second semester, and then Torts year long. It's kind of hard to explain. Two things for sure though - you will have Criminal Law first semester, and you will have Legal Research and Writing all year long.

Loyola is also switching up required courses this year for their 1Ls. We no longer have Constitutional Law in the 2nd semester. It used to be you take Crim Law 1st semester and Con Law 2nd semester. Now, instead of taking Con Law, we will be allowed to choose an elective for 2nd semester (I believe there is a list of six to choose from), and Constitutional Law will be pushed to our second year.

2) Don't live in OC unless you want a commute from hell. I myself am going to be living in Norwalk (only because I have to), and am dreading the drive. There is constant traffic in LA, especially on the I-5, which you would have to take from OC. If you have a choice of where to live and want to feel safer, then I'd definitely go with Glendale, or West L.A. Prices in Glendale don't differ much from OC anyway. The downside to West LA is that it's expensive. Los Feliz for example is really nice, but you're paying for it in rent.

Hope this helps :)

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 am

Hi Kristie. Fellow Norwalk(ian?) here. Actually, I live in Artesia. Have you ever commuted to loyola on a weekday? how long did it take?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Loyola is copying Southwestern's model for 1L electives. Good move.

jramirez05

New

Post by jramirez05 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks Kristie! Any idea on the times of classes, at least for the 1st year? I can only assume business hours (8 or 9 to 3 or 4) but am entirely guessing.

I'm going to look at Glendale and West LA, thanks. It seems that I may live in OC in the end unfortunately, which would definitely suck, do they sell parking passes for the I-5? :D

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:47 pm

jramirez05 wrote:Thanks Kristie! Any idea on the times of classes, at least for the 1st year? I can only assume business hours (8 or 9 to 3 or 4) but am entirely guessing.

I'm going to look at Glendale and West LA, thanks. It seems that I may live in OC in the end unfortunately, which would definitely suck, do they sell parking passes for the I-5? :D

If you live close, you could take the train to downtown and use the complimentary shuttle the school provides to go to and fro.

jramirez05

New

Post by jramirez05 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:24 am

NoleinNY wrote:
jramirez05 wrote:Thanks Kristie! Any idea on the times of classes, at least for the 1st year? I can only assume business hours (8 or 9 to 3 or 4) but am entirely guessing.

If you live close, you could take the train to downtown and use the complimentary shuttle the school provides to go to and fro.
Yea, I was thinking about doing that. My only concern is the shuttle times and consistency, which when I took the tour my guide did not know the answers to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:09 pm

jramirez05 wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

Yea, I was thinking about doing that. My only concern is the shuttle times and consistency, which when I took the tour my guide did not know the answers to.
That is pretty silly on the guides part to not have that info, not going to lie... From my experience occasionally using the shuttles, they are pretty consistent and have a set schedule. During peak commuting times (early in the morning and after 3pm) it runs on like 15/30 minute intervals. Other times you can call it on demand. And it runs until about 10ish.

IamKristieHi

New

Post by IamKristieHi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 am

gothamm wrote:Hi Kristie. Fellow Norwalk(ian?) here. Actually, I live in Artesia. Have you ever commuted to loyola on a weekday? how long did it take?
I traveled from Norwalk to Downtown L.A. on a weekday during afternoon rush hour on the I-5 and it took at least a good 45 minutes. I think I'm going to try taking the 105 to the 110 to get to and from school, although traffic there will be bad too. I think the key will be to schedule your commute around heavy traffic times.

I found the 1L class schedule from fall of last year. You can see how classes and class times are different for each section. It should give you a good idea of what our schedule may look like.

http://reg.lls.edu/2010fall/documents/2 ... ourses.pdf

If you do decide to live in OC, I hear the train is actually a good option. You can even study during the commute that way :)

major32

New

Post by major32 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm

can't wait to get to LA this summer! took them long enough to accept me.

balls

New

Post by balls » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:39 am

anyone tried the commute from manhattan beach?

chance i might live there, but dont know what the drive would be like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeLaOhLaLa

New

Post by DeLaOhLaLa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

I applied ED so I'm happy to say I'll be there this fall! so excited to meet you all.

danielle9281

New

Post by danielle9281 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Does anyone know if Loyola allows for paid internships/externships?

IamKristieHi

New

Post by IamKristieHi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm

danielle9281 wrote:Does anyone know if Loyola allows for paid internships/externships?
They allow you to do externships during the school year (2nd and 3rd year) for academic credit. Paid internships are usually done during the summer.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Last edited by 071816 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm

balls wrote:anyone tried the commute from manhattan beach?

chance i might live there, but dont know what the drive would be like.
I have not personally tried it, but during orientation the student body president said that some people do it; people also commute from Northridge, Irvine, etc. Not that I would recommend it or discourage it; you do what you gotta do, as they say.

jramirez05

New

Post by jramirez05 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 am

So I've decided to live in Orange County. Train-subway-free shuttle is about 1hr 5min plus a little waiting time. The school pays (from what I've read) for 50% of the train pass, which comes out to about $85 a month.

It's a lot safer, cheaper, and less of a headache in traffic. Great deal!

If anyone is going to do this, or considering it, let me know! It would be nice to have a train buddy :)

shaunaucla11

New

Post by shaunaucla11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:52 pm

I got into loyola and pepperdine too
I chose loyola :D

anybody looking for a roommate?
let me know
My email is shauna.ucla11@gmail.com

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 am

shaunaucla11 wrote:I got into loyola and pepperdine too
I chose loyola :D

anybody looking for a roommate?
let me know
My email is shauna.ucla11@gmail.com
Shauna, you may want to try using the roommate classifieds the school provides... No need to put your email up publicly on an unsecured forum like this...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”