Denver Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
greyfoxhound2985

New

Denver Law 2014

Post by greyfoxhound2985 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey All,

Just wanted to see if anyone else knew they were going to Denver yet? Let me know what you think about housing, classes, etc.

Antonio

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Re: Denver Law 2014

Post by Gatorbull84 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 pm

I have been accepted to a bunch so far but Denver is in my top 3. Its between Denver(20K), DePaul(18K), and Kentucky(not sure yet).

I am really feeling Denver

Adrian Yale

New

Post by Adrian Yale » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Same feeling...

Denver would be a sick place to stay for 6+ years...

No idea about housing, but I've got a 2L buddy who I'll try and get on here to do a writeup.

bakerka2

New

Post by bakerka2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Got into Denver (20K) and Loyola in LA (23K) so far, just applied to 9 more...

As of right now I'd go to Denver.

Bors32

New

Post by Bors32 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:31 pm

I got into Denver with a scholarship. I visited and loved the building/environment, and I've always loved the city. I've been given a scholarship to Arkansas and have gotten into Tennessee as well. It's all down to those visits now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joshua1415

New

Post by joshua1415 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Nice to meet all of you. I got accepted to DU along with numerous other schools, but after a lot of consideration I have decided that DU is the best choice for me. I hope to see all of you in the near future. Is anyone going to the DU ASD? I think its on March 26th...but don't hold me to that.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 pm

joshua1415 wrote:Nice to meet all of you. I got accepted to DU along with numerous other schools, but after a lot of consideration I have decided that DU is the best choice for me. I hope to see all of you in the near future. Is anyone going to the DU ASD? I think its on March 26th...but don't hold me to that.
March 25th, next Friday. I know I'll be there, Adrian Yale is going, and typ3 will be there as well. I'm sure others will go, otherwise we'll be a pretty sad lot of 5 people at ASD!

Post-ASD happy hour is also in the works - right now we know there will be drinks, food, and name tags made from duct tape.

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 am

Sadly, I can't attend the ASD this week, but I wanted to check in and say... looks like I'll be there with you all next Fall! Where is everyone thinking of living?

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Tag! DU is currently my first choice, though I'm still considering CU, too. Either way, I'm excited to be in Colorado for the next 3 years.

ETA:

I am also interested in hearing about housing searches so far. Is everyone focused on being very close to campus? Any luck so far?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Omega10 wrote:Tag! DU is currently my first choice, though I'm still considering CU, too. Either way, I'm excited to be in Colorado for the next 3 years.

ETA:

I am also interested in hearing about housing searches so far. Is everyone focused on being very close to campus? Any luck so far?
Thankfully, it's been a long time since I've had to search for housing, but hopefully I can help people out with some suggestions:

There's a lot near DU, but it can sometimes be either pricey or trashy, sometimes both. Pro: walk to campus. Con: Lots of frat/sorority action, lots (lots) of traffic

Capitol Hill/Cheesman Park (often written Cheeseman, though that's wrong) is fun, hip, young, and can also go from cheap to expensive, depending. Pros: near downtown, lots of stuff to do, very 'urban' Cons: kinda far away if you don't drive (though the #12 bus goes right to Downing and Evans, about 1/2 a mile from the law school)

Final option: I'd be willing to let out my somewhat-finished basement for $200 per month, per person. Pros: super cheap rent. Cons: Cold, buggy, have to walk to 7-11 to use the bathroom (or use mine for another $50 a month), I require all inhabitants of the basement to change their name (legally) to C.H.U.D.

Let me know!

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Omega10 wrote:Tag! DU is currently my first choice, though I'm still considering CU, too. Either way, I'm excited to be in Colorado for the next 3 years.

ETA:

Thankfully, it's been a long time since I've had to search for housing, but hopefully I can help people out with some suggestions:

There's a lot near DU, but it can sometimes be either pricey or trashy, sometimes both. Pro: walk to campus. Con: Lots of frat/sorority action, lots (lots) of traffic

Capitol Hill/Cheesman Park (often written Cheeseman, though that's wrong) is fun, hip, young, and can also go from cheap to expensive, depending. Pros: near downtown, lots of stuff to do, very 'urban' Cons: kinda far away if you don't drive (though the #12 bus goes right to Downing and Evans, about 1/2 a mile from the law school)

Final option: I'd be willing to let out my somewhat-finished basement for $200 per month, per person. Pros: super cheap rent. Cons: Cold, buggy, have to walk to 7-11 to use the bathroom (or use mine for another $50 a month), I require all inhabitants of the basement to change their name (legally) to C.H.U.D.

Let me know!
Wow, haha thanks for the offer. In all seriousness, at least I know I won't be homeless! I've got my fingers crossed that I can find a place with its own bathroom though. Maybe even some windows. (But let's not get greedy.)

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Just discovered this thread, as I was about to make another DU 2014 one. Thank you forum search function. So everyone pretty committed to DU at this point? Too early to start talking about possible roommate situations?

My preliminary craigslist searches have yielded a couple of reasonable house options around campus that range from 3-4 bedrooms anywhere from $1200-$2000 a month. More and more I'm thinking living with like minded 1Ls would be the best option, both socially and financially.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:37 pm

IamAskier wrote:Just discovered this thread, as I was about to make another DU 2014 one. Thank you forum search function. So everyone pretty committed to DU at this point? Too early to start talking about possible roommate situations?

My preliminary craigslist searches have yielded a couple of reasonable house options around campus that range from 3-4 bedrooms anywhere from $1200-$2000 a month. More and more I'm thinking living with like minded 1Ls would be the best option, both socially and financially.
Welcome Askier! I think you might be the first person I'ev seen to successfully use the search function!

I'm committed - turned in my first deposit on Friday. For housing, since no one has jumped on my basement idea, I would note that commuting is pretty easy in Denver, so don't feel like you need to be right at DU. Try Capitol Hill, Golden Triangle, even the Highlands area is only a short bike or bus ride to light rail (or a short drive if you do the car thing). There are some good finds out there, like this one:

--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm not officially committed, but I'm starting to look at housing options anyway. I know I'd benefit socially from having a roommate as I settle into law school, but I really would prefer living on my own in the long run. For now I'm looking at affordable studio and 1 bedroom apartments. It seems timing is everything, as some places are listing their summer availability and claim that they'll "go soon," while others have recommended I check in later when they have a better idea of what will be available. Mixed messages, but I guess the lesson is to be proactive until you get what you want!

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Finally broke it to my boss that I'll be resigning to start law school in August. The convo went suprisingly well. :) Huge relief.

Hopeful_Me

New

Post by Hopeful_Me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Welcome to Denver us! I just made my first deposit today, I'm fully official! Can't wait to get started in this awesome city! Anyone else out there looking for housing? Congrats to all of us and I can't wait to see you all in the 303!

Hopeful_Me

New

Post by Hopeful_Me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

IamAskier wrote:Just discovered this thread, as I was about to make another DU 2014 one. Thank you forum search function. So everyone pretty committed to DU at this point? Too early to start talking about possible roommate situations?

Thinking the same thing! Get in touch! So Excited! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Putting my deposit down tomorrow. See you all in the fall

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Put my deposit down yesterday. Super excited about moving to Denver. I will definitely need roommates though. I'm headin out there in June for a week to find a place. Anyone ever had any luck with those roommate matching sites? Gatorbull are you from florida too?

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Beastie62, Im from Tampa.You?

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:53 pm

awesome, ya I'm from gainesville but I went to usf in tampa. you?? I'm so glad theres going to be a fellow floridian!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:34 pm

haha Im from Tampa but I went to UF and then I went to USF for a masters. What year did you graduate?

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:07 pm

I just graduated in december. thats so amazing we come from the same two towns. we definitely gotta hang out when we get out there. are you in full time or part time? if you dont mind me asking what was your reason for choosing denver and not a florida school?

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 am

Well UF rejected me(which has me a little bitter), FSU has been playing with my app for awhile now, Stetson(got in) but it really doesn't appeal to me, and I never even considered Miami(can't stand the town.

It came down to Denver, Chicago-Kent, American, and Kentucky. Honestly I really want to live in Denver

Beastie62

New

Post by Beastie62 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I've always had my heart set on moving out west. I only applied to one florida school, i dont know if you saw the weird mix of schools i applied to on lsn but denver was the best school by far so the decision was easy. im so tired of sweating my ass off down here too...cant wait for the weather out there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”