UGA Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
eandy

Gold

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Post by eandy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 pm

splittinghairs wrote:Has anyone signed up for the Summer Advancement Program that runs from 8/1-8/10?

Or does anyone know what its really about or know anyone who's done it and is it a worthwhile program to attend?
I know people that did it last year and really liked it. It was a mini con law course with Coenen. If that is what it is this year, I would definitely recommend it. Coenen is a great professor, and if you are nervous about the socratic method, it'd be a great introduction. He is really hard on you, he will make people cry, etc. However, he is one of those professors that makes it very much he cares a lot about his students. He will ramble on with thirty minute pep talks telling you not to give up blah blah. I think it would be a really good experience to have, and it will give you a headstart on making friends. It's not offered to everyone, but if you have the opportunity, and you will be in Athens already anyway, go for it.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:54 pm

eandy wrote:
splittinghairs wrote:Has anyone signed up for the Summer Advancement Program that runs from 8/1-8/10?

Or does anyone know what its really about or know anyone who's done it and is it a worthwhile program to attend?
I know people that did it last year and really liked it. It was a mini con law course with Coenen. If that is what it is this year, I would definitely recommend it. Coenen is a great professor, and if you are nervous about the socratic method, it'd be a great introduction. He is really hard on you, he will make people cry, etc. However, he is one of those professors that makes it very much he cares a lot about his students. He will ramble on with thirty minute pep talks telling you not to give up blah blah. I think it would be a really good experience to have, and it will give you a headstart on making friends. It's not offered to everyone, but if you have the opportunity, and you will be in Athens already anyway, go for it.
I signed up for it. I heard from a another 2L that it was a really good program. He basically said all the things Eandy said. I figure it can't hurt. Since it was offered, I went ahead and signed up.

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 pm

IndigoPoet wrote:
eandy wrote:

I signed up for it. I heard from a another 2L that it was a really good program. He basically said all the things Eandy said. I figure it can't hurt. Since it was offered, I went ahead and signed up.
This is encouraging to hear. Gonna fly into Atlanta on 7/31 so it would be a quick turnaround to do this program.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:26 pm

splittinghairs wrote:
IndigoPoet wrote:
eandy wrote:

This is encouraging to hear. Gonna fly into Atlanta on 7/31 so it would be a quick turnaround to do this program.
That will be insanely quick. Be sure to get some rest sometime in between.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:40 pm

IndigoPoet wrote:
splittinghairs wrote:
That will be insanely quick. Be sure to get some rest sometime in between.
Yeah--if you do the program be extra prepared the first day. An example will be made of the first person not super prepared. That goes for pretty much every class though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I can't really help it, almost all of the leases start on Aug 1. I just pray that the reading materials are provided early.

HawksJetsFalcons

New

Post by HawksJetsFalcons » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:03 pm

I wanted to do the program, but I move in on Aug 1st, so I don't want to be juggling moving in, getting to know Athens(mostly the bars) and trying to take a class. It seems like a great opportunity though.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:41 pm

What did you guys mention in your application ? I fit into one of those categories they listed as being more geared for the program (splitter, holler) and think the program would be cool and definitely keep me out of trouble for the 3+ weeks before classes I'll be in Athens.

edit - and by trouble I mean ending up drinking a ton because there's nothing to do 8)

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:42 pm

The beginning of the year is all about getting into trouble. If you don't do early start, you will not be bored. There will be plenty of people around looking to have a good time. I know some of my friends are planning on having parties in August and want to invite the new 1Ls--I'll do my best to let you guys know when that happens. (Obv. I can't post on TLS the specifics, but I can have you guys PM/fb me).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Sandro wrote:What did you guys mention in your application ? I fit into one of those categories they listed as being more geared for the program (splitter, holler) and think the program would be cool and definitely keep me out of trouble for the 3+ weeks before classes I'll be in Athens.

edit - and by trouble I mean ending up drinking a ton because there's nothing to do 8)
I am also a splitter, but I didn't even mention that because I figure they would know that based on my application. So I just mentioned how my UG major did not have the same type of writing involved compared to other majors and how being exposed to legal writing would be benficial for me. I wrote to them asking if I could find out their decision soon because I'm from out of state and I would like to make traveling arrangments and housing arrangements, and they were nice enough to tell me that I was in 2 days later.

Jimsta

New

Post by Jimsta » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Sandro wrote:What did you guys mention in your application ? I fit into one of those categories they listed as being more geared for the program (splitter, holler) and think the program would be cool and definitely keep me out of trouble for the 3+ weeks before classes I'll be in Athens.

I'm a fellow splitter. I mentioned that in the application as well as being in the workforce for two years. Two years out of undergrad may not seem like much, but two years working for the government will devastate your ability to reason (I left that part out). If I'm accepted, I'll be moving in the day before the program starts. I can't imagine having any money left for books if I got there 3+ weeks before class started.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 am

splittinghairs wrote:I can't really help it, almost all of the leases start on Aug 1. I just pray that the reading materials are provided early.
I managed to get my apartment complex to let me move in on the July 23 instead of Aug 1. Lucky me. 8 days of pro-rated rent. I really want to get as settled as possible (ie. unpack my ish) before anything gets started.

the11111111

New

Post by the11111111 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Hey guys,

If anyone is still looking for a place Baxter street lofts still has one open. Ill be living there with a couple other 1l and 2ls and it's super nice and cheap. My friend use to live there and the landlord is pretty cool... Oh this isn't like those guys at 755 that come on here just to pub, I'm legitimately trying to help anyone that doesn't want to spend 1000 a month on a one bedroom, this place is nicer and I think the 2 bedroom (that's could be a big one bedroom) is 900.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:45 am

Magnolias Happy Hour Friday Aug 5? Is that a good time for people?

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 am

IndigoPoet wrote:Magnolias Happy Hour Friday Aug 5? Is that a good time for people?
Sounds good, see you guys there.

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm

splittinghairs wrote:
IndigoPoet wrote:Magnolias Happy Hour Friday Aug 5? Is that a good time for people?
Should work for me too, looking forward to it.

jarv1506

New

Post by jarv1506 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 pm

sch0123 wrote:
splittinghairs wrote:
Should work for me too, looking forward to it.
i'm in. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Question - What else (if anything) do you need to do to accept my financial aid awards? I've gotten into the OASIS, just wanted to double check before I accept them.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Sandro wrote:Question - What else (if anything) do you need to do to accept my financial aid awards? I've gotten into the OASIS, just wanted to double check before I accept them.
I didn't notice anything else it requested. I simply entered the amounts to verify what I wanted, then accepted it. I didn't see where we needed to fill out MPN, though I'm sure there will be a request soon.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Okay cool. I've seen some other people at other schools talking about that kind of stuff, havent heard too much from UGA about it.

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:37 pm

sstufken wrote:I am pretty sure I am going to UGA Law as well! I actually go to UGA as an undergrad right now and I live downtown. It's super convenient and the SLC (student learning center)/library are only a few minutes away. I walk to class, to the bars, etc. Check out 909 Apartments, Gameday Condominiums, or the Georgia Traditions. I live in one of those and have friends who live in the other two.

All decent choices, but I have to rep. University Towers. ~$600 rent and as close to the law school as you could possibly get (about a 2 minute walk for me). 909/Georgia Traditions is a further walk than you think and Gameday is just a ripoff (sorry if you live there).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:42 pm

eandy wrote:

Coenen is one, if not the best, professors UGA law has. What sets him apart is he very much cares about his students and it's easy to see. I usually would make fun of you for taking a pre-1L summer course, but taking it with Coenen could only be a good thing.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Sandro wrote:Okay cool. I've seen some other people at other schools talking about that kind of stuff, havent heard too much from UGA about it.
I know. I felt the same way. I also tried to go through studentloans.gov and they told me that UGA doesn't use "their" system for MPN. Of course I could have done something wrong. That website annoys me.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:27 pm

IndigoPoet wrote:
Sandro wrote:Okay cool. I've seen some other people at other schools talking about that kind of stuff, havent heard too much from UGA about it.
I know. I felt the same way. I also tried to go through studentloans.gov and they told me that UGA doesn't use "their" system for MPN. Of course I could have done something wrong. That website annoys me.
Last year I couldn't figure out why I hadn't gotten my loan money and other people had. Apparently you do have to fill something out--UGA didn't tell me about it. I had to go the studentloans.gov website to fill out the MPNs. Maybe they changed it since last year, but that's what I did.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:34 pm

nickwar wrote: All decent choices, but I have to rep. University Towers. ~$600 rent and as close to the law school as you could possibly get (about a 2 minute walk for me). 909/Georgia Traditions is a further walk than you think and Gameday is just a ripoff (sorry if you live there).
It's a 15-20 minute hike from 909. If you are running seriously late you might be able to make it in ten if you get really lucky with the intersections and go really fast. It's still convenient(especially for stumbling home on a friday night), but University Towers owns 909 on convenience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”