Buffalo Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
taxnstuff

Bronze

Re: Buffalo Class of 2014

Post by taxnstuff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am

Last edited by taxnstuff on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm

taxnstuff wrote:84 puts UB ahead of Villanova even, at half the price.
...and Buffalo has the added advantage of not having dirty liars in their admissions department :D

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:23 pm

jetergrl2ss wrote:
taxnstuff wrote:84 puts UB ahead of Villanova even, at half the price.
...and Buffalo has the added advantage of not having dirty liars in their admissions department :D

plus buffalo has rick generette- Game. Set. Match!

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

hey guys Im looking for a roomate for the upcoming fall if anyone is interested pm me.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Last edited by taxnstuff on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QueenCity1L

New

Post by QueenCity1L » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:01 pm

taxnstuff wrote:1. Ok so question on housing. Everything I have read has directed me to look for housing off campus, but right near the law school. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a database or webpage online dedicated to such housing. I know absolutely nothing, zilch, zero about Buffalo as I have never been there, and this only makes my issue more confusing. Would I be better off living on campus until I get my bearings straight? Unfortunately I won't be able to visit the school due to tax season until its most likely too late to secure good housing, and I don't want to get left in dust and stuck living with a mouth breather or someone I would want to kill within 2 weeks.

2. When do they give us scholarship info/financial aid? I only have received an email with acceptance. I want to be sure I can fund tuition with stafford loans 100%.

3. Any graduates lurking through the boards that went into tax law? I know the median starting salary is 68k for private but am curious what this number is for a tax attorney with a cpa, or if it will be no change.

Also, Northwood who is rick generette.
I would not recommend on-campus housing. Here are a number of apartment complexes I know off the top of my head:
--LinkRemoved-- (check out the northtowns apartments)
http://www.colonieamherst.com/ (where i live; very nice units, well-insulated-economical)
Keep an eye on Craigslist. About 2-3 miles away from UB down Sweet Home Road there is a development with very reasonable duplexes. Not uncommon to pay less than 300 a month there.

In prior years the admissions department has compiled a directory of enrollees in search of a roommate. I would keep an eye out for that in the coming weeks. That's how i found my current roommate. Also, you might want to check out the FB group for the Class of 2014. I'm sure there are others with your situation. But yeah, can't drive this home enough: on-campus housing is overpriced, you will regret it.

Scholarship information is usually included with the acceptance. I received my financial aid a few weeks after I was accepted.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

QueenCity1L

New

Post by QueenCity1L » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:22 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. When you say included with the acceptance, do you mean the mailed packet? I haven't actually received it yet, Only heard through email.
It came in the envelope.

Any other questions feel free to fire away!

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QueenCity1L

New

Post by QueenCity1L » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:44 pm

I personally don't know anyone who plans on practicing in Canada. I know a few peers studied at UTornto and McGill for their UG, but I'm not sure what their career plans are.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

taxnstuff-
rick generettee( know i misspelled it) is the play by play announcer for the buffalo sabres on tv. Hes amazing to listen to!

notojess

New

Post by notojess » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 am

I put in my seat deposit and I will be attending in the fall!! So excited! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 am

maggiejeter wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:
OGR3 wrote:I would strongly advise everyone to visit the school before coming to a decision.
Student at UB Law, you just had a bad visit, or you heard something from someone?
I went to their admitted students day last year. Let's just say it was underwhelming. Buffalo went from #2 or #3 on my list to "there's no way I'm going here" over the span of the morning. I left at lunch to get hot wings at the original Duff's and then skipped town.
This was your mistake. Duff's wings are gross and Anchor Bar is overrated. Bob & John's all the way!

I have no interest in UB law, but I clicked on this thread because I grew up in Buffalo.

Two points:

1. Duffs is better, just ask President Obama

2. Someone said the whole city feels like a strip mall...Amherst (where the law school is) is not Buffalo. It is a suburb. I'm not saying Buffalo is some awesome hotspot of urban activity, but there are some good areas, such as the Elmwood Strip.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Anyone hear anything from financial aid ( i know i posted this in the other thread, but since there are 2 buffalo threads- i decided to post twice)

notojess

New

Post by notojess » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

No, nothing yet. Well, besides what was in my acceptance letter. Although, I attended the last accepted student visit and apparently they are behind so I wouldn't expect anything before the end of the month.

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am

Hey guys i just put my money down and I applied to live in flint village on campus in the law school apartments

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jln82

New

Post by jln82 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 am

Anxiously waiting for financial aid news? Submitted complete FAFSA early-mid February and was accepted into UB around late Feb. Anybody have a guess when I'll find out?

twister52

New

Post by twister52 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:07 am

I attended UB for my grad program. Here is what I used to find off-campus housing:

http://www.subboard.com/och/

There are a lot of options available within a couple miles of campus. Be wary of living close to South Campus though, that area can be rough. If anyone has any questions about the area pm me.

NYCbound96

New

Post by NYCbound96 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey Guys!

Congrats if you're coming to UB next year. It's an amazing law school and I'm sure you won't regret it. I am just finishing up my 1L year and I am so glad I picked UB.

To weigh in on the housing issue, on campus housing is terribly overpriced and especially for the area. Two bedroom apartments here typically go for around $950/month. Also, if you decide to live off campus, they often tell you that living downtown near Elmwood is an ideal location. Having taken that advice, I would disagree. The commute to school in the winter from the Elmwood area can get upwards of 25-30 minutes. Unless this commute does not bother you, I would strongly suggest an apartment nearer to campus. As a 1L you will typically have earlier classes. This year classes started for some sections at 8am, 8:50am, etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions about UB, I'd be happy to help you out if I can!

notojess

New

Post by notojess » Mon May 23, 2011 12:11 pm

I still don't see an answer to the pending financial aid question. I know that for me once I set up my UB e-mail account there was a letter there saying that my financial aid was done and calculated. Followed the link and there was my financial aid package! I figured it would get sent to my other e-mail account but apparently not. Hope that helps!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:55 am

So I just applied for a room in Flint Village and was confirmed. Anyone have any knowledge as to what the on-campus apartments are like, with Flint Village in particular?

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

ohmylord wrote:So I just applied for a room in Flint Village and was confirmed. Anyone have any knowledge as to what the on-campus apartments are like, with Flint Village in particular?
They're pretty nice. One of the more recent housing complexes built on campus. You get your own bathroom and room, which are both decently sized. The living area furniture is somewhat comfy. You get your own lock/key for your room as well as one for the apartment. You're only only a 5 min walk to the law building, which is nice in the winter. Utilities are included so you can blast the heat as much as you want. They seemed to have cleaned the hallways a lot during the week. The exercise room is small, but I never had a problem getting a treadmill/equipment. Plus the huge gym is close by on-campus. Also a track and a giant sports field are right next to the buildings.

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
ohmylord wrote:So I just applied for a room in Flint Village and was confirmed. Anyone have any knowledge as to what the on-campus apartments are like, with Flint Village in particular?
They're pretty nice. One of the more recent housing complexes built on campus. You get your own bathroom and room, which are both decently sized. The living area furniture is somewhat comfy. You get your own lock/key for your room as well as one for the apartment. You're only only a 5 min walk to the law building, which is nice in the winter. Utilities are included so you can blast the heat as much as you want. They seemed to have cleaned the hallways a lot during the week. The exercise room is small, but I never had a problem getting a treadmill/equipment. Plus the huge gym is close by on-campus. Also a track and a giant sports field are right next to the buildings.
That sounds nice. I didn't end up in a room with the law students but with the undergrads. Do you know if sound is muffled in any way? Don't want to disrupt others and vice versa. And how many rooms/floors per building? Just out of curiosity, my former school's apartments had 4 rooms per floor, 3 floors per building. Everyone's rooms were nicely sized.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:13 pm

ohmylord wrote: That sounds nice. I didn't end up in a room with the law students but with the undergrads. Do you know if sound is muffled in any way? Don't want to disrupt others and vice versa. And how many rooms/floors per building? Just out of curiosity, my former school's apartments had 4 rooms per floor, 3 floors per building. Everyone's rooms were nicely sized.
You won't hear the apartments next to you, but you will definitely hear the one above/below you through the vents. Each building has two floors. The law buildings had 12 rooms per floor I think, not sure about the undergrad ones. I'm guessing its the same. Did you get your schedule/section yet? If so, I can tell you about profs if I had them/possibly get you outlines.

Edit: If you're with the undergrads it might not be a 2 bedroom/2 bath. They have some 4 bedroom/2 baths sprinkled in there too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”