Santa Clara Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
scu_2013

New

Re: Santa Clara Class of 2014

Post by scu_2013 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 am

ya, debt aversion is always good, just gotta figure out when it's worth it to you personally, to pay a little more for the school you want more?

I was offered a scholarship, and did try to negotiate it up, but was denied, they took forever to get back to me also if I remember correctly.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:50 pm

scu_2013 wrote:ya, debt aversion is always good, just gotta figure out when it's worth it to you personally, to pay a little more for the school you want more?

I was offered a scholarship, and did try to negotiate it up, but was denied, they took forever to get back to me also if I remember correctly.
Wow that is not good to hear... I wonder why they are so stingy when all the other schools give out a ton more money?

Do you feel like it is worth the price and debt that you are taking on? Have you seen a lot of people getting jobs or is it solely reserved for top 5%?

scu_2013

New

Post by scu_2013 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I am someone who feels like working as an attorney is what I absolutely want to do with my life, so to me I'd pay sticker at a T2, maybe even T3, if that's what it took (provided I felt like the school wasn't a joke). So the fact that I got any scholarship at all, at a decent school in the market I was aiming for, was just icing on the cake.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time Fall semester getting out and getting to know 2L/3Ls, so I can't answer the job question very accurately. I am starting to make more of an effort to attend networking events this semester and club events. I met a 3L with a GPA around top 25-30% who is on track for a gig in the San Mateo DA's office, so I don't think you need to be top 5% to get a good job. But I guess that just depends on what you consider to be a "good job". He told me as long as you are above median, and are a good interviewer, you should have a good shot at some solid jobs.

You should obviously expect to put in more work in building your resume (summer work, internships during the year, journal/moot court, club involvement, etc...) if you want highly coveted jobs where you will be competing against Stanford/Boalt grads, but the school name on your diploma shouldn't be an auto-reject. There are a ton of alumni working in the area that come back for luncheons and after school networking events also, this school definitely plays up and reaches out to it's alumni network, which appears to work. I found a couple 10-20 attorney estate/tax firms over the weekend that were almost entirely made up of Santa Clara grads, most of which didn't graduate with honors or anything.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Again you have been an incredible asset in helping answer all of my questions and I truly appreciate it. Thank you very much!

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:37 pm

scu_2013 wrote:I am someone who feels like working as an attorney is what I absolutely want to do with my life, so to me I'd pay sticker at a T2, maybe even T3, if that's what it took (provided I felt like the school wasn't a joke). So the fact that I got any scholarship at all, at a decent school in the market I was aiming for, was just icing on the cake.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time Fall semester getting out and getting to know 2L/3Ls, so I can't answer the job question very accurately. I am starting to make more of an effort to attend networking events this semester and club events. I met a 3L with a GPA around top 25-30% who is on track for a gig in the San Mateo DA's office, so I don't think you need to be top 5% to get a good job. But I guess that just depends on what you consider to be a "good job". He told me as long as you are above median, and are a good interviewer, you should have a good shot at some solid jobs.

You should obviously expect to put in more work in building your resume (summer work, internships during the year, journal/moot court, club involvement, etc...) if you want highly coveted jobs where you will be competing against Stanford/Boalt grads, but the school name on your diploma shouldn't be an auto-reject. There are a ton of alumni working in the area that come back for luncheons and after school networking events also, this school definitely plays up and reaches out to it's alumni network, which appears to work. I found a couple 10-20 attorney estate/tax firms over the weekend that were almost entirely made up of Santa Clara grads, most of which didn't graduate with honors or anything.
Sorry to bother again but I was wondering what the curve is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scu_2013

New

Post by scu_2013 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

median is usually around 3.0 after first full year of classes

in each class, professors have to stick to:

A/A- | 8-12%
A through B- | 45-55%
C- and below | 8-12%

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:51 pm

scu_2013 wrote:median is usually around 3.0 after first full year of classes

in each class, professors have to stick to:

A/A- | 8-12%
A through B- | 45-55%
C- and below | 8-12%
Do you also happen to know transfer stats and such?

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Also, do you know how much of a market there is for those studying IP law without a technical background? Do you know anyone that is doing that?

scu_2013

New

Post by scu_2013 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:32 am

according to the ABA profile, 23 transfers in last year, and 12 transfers out

without a technical background, I think you are kinda stuck with soft IP/copyright/trademark, which i've heard doesn't enjoy the same amount of job openings and salary as patent/technical law, not sure on the exact numbers/ratios however and this is mostly just hear-say

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kendraston

New

Post by kendraston » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I was wondering if anyone is planning to go to the Early Admitted Student Reception tomorrow?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:07 pm

I couldn't get work off. However if for some reason I can leave early I may make the trek down from Oakland.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

McNulty wrote:
kendraston wrote:
McNulty wrote:Read an article in the Recorder the other week about the growth of the south bay legal market compared to SF. Had some good things to say and made me think a tiny bit harder about SCU. I was accepted with an Emery scholly and am native to Santa Cruz but I'm still terrified about the CA economy. The tuition is brutal as well. Decisions decisions.
Another benefit that really influenced me is the strong alumni network. I have met so many well connected people who went to school here, and not to mention almost all the local judges are alums. Just food for thought.
Whatup UCSC? 8)
Santa Clara isn't part of the UC system, fyi.

kendraston

New

Post by kendraston » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 pm

nshapkar wrote:
McNulty wrote:
kendraston wrote:
McNulty wrote:Read an article in the Recorder the other week about the growth of the south bay legal market compared to SF. Had some good things to say and made me think a tiny bit harder about SCU. I was accepted with an Emery scholly and am native to Santa Cruz but I'm still terrified about the CA economy. The tuition is brutal as well. Decisions decisions.
Another benefit that really influenced me is the strong alumni network. I have met so many well connected people who went to school here, and not to mention almost all the local judges are alums. Just food for thought.
Whatup UCSC? 8)
Santa Clara isn't part of the UC system, fyi.
Duh! We are both from UCSC, homie. Wake up!
Last edited by kendraston on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kendraston

New

Post by kendraston » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 pm

McNulty wrote:I couldn't get work off. However if for some reason I can leave early I may make the trek down from Oakland.
You were missed at the Reception; there was only one other slug representing! Everyone was bear and tree fans. Lol.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow nothing going on in here for a while... Anyone else going? Anyone getting nervous already?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Yes, I'm very aware SCU is not a UC.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

So who's going to SCU?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

verklempt

Bronze

Post by verklempt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:24 pm

It is disconcerting to see how little activity there is on this thread!

I have been saying that SCU is my first choice, and I was accepted with small $, too late for the admit day. The other schools (higher ranked, I might add!) to which I have been accepted have all been much friendlier, phone calls, emails, invitations. From SCU, nothing. I have other concerns, but I'm really wondering if it's the kind of school where they just don't care about the students?

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Fri May 27, 2011 4:20 am

Yay SCU!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Warning: Cluck U closed down

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm

verklempt wrote:It is disconcerting to see how little activity there is on this thread!

I have been saying that SCU is my first choice, and I was accepted with small $, too late for the admit day. The other schools (higher ranked, I might add!) to which I have been accepted have all been much friendlier, phone calls, emails, invitations. From SCU, nothing. I have other concerns, but I'm really wondering if it's the kind of school where they just don't care about the students?
one of the reasons i'm leaving.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”