Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
mcweanis

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by mcweanis » Tue May 31, 2011 10:55 am

soo i mailed my acceptance form and deposit to harvard on the 23rd, but i haven't heard anything and the check hasn't been cashed.. should i be worried?

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 pm

They were a little slow in confirming mine, which I handed to them in person. I would just call/e-mail to make sure.

slee

New

Post by slee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 am

I just got off the waitlist and fedexed my deposit (arrived today). Do I need to wait until after they confirm receipt of deposit and another 2 weeks for UID/PIN to be able to complete the housing application? I understand the longer I wait, the crappier my lottery number will be.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:50 pm

T14 wrote:
nikita wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
nikita wrote:Ditto off the wait list! :D
Ecstatic, but now to figure out financial aid, housing, visas...
Congrats! visas? where are you coming from?
Ontario, Canada :)
Any other Canucks out there?

Vancouver here. At the ASW everyone kept telling me how many Canadians were at HLS... but I never actually met any! :shock: :mrgreen:
A Rising 2L Canadian here! If anyone has any questions about HLS, ask away.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:35 pm

slee wrote:I just got off the waitlist and fedexed my deposit (arrived today). Do I need to wait until after they confirm receipt of deposit and another 2 weeks for UID/PIN to be able to complete the housing application? I understand the longer I wait, the crappier my lottery number will be.
I filled out the application before I even sent in my deposit. I'm not sure if the procedure would be different for people accepted off the waitlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nikita

New

Post by nikita » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:18 pm

adameus wrote:

How difficult was the financial aid process and what order did you do it in? Here in Ontario, OSAP is maxed out at around $200/wk for international schools because we get only the federal section, so I'm wondering how you made it work - did you apply for Canadian bank loans as well, or just the one Harvard suggested? (Sorry if some of this is available - my package got sent to a different address and is getting redirected.)

Thanks!

ps. nice dp pic :D

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:32 am

nikita wrote:
adameus wrote:

How difficult was the financial aid process and what order did you do it in? Here in Ontario, OSAP is maxed out at around $200/wk for international schools because we get only the federal section, so I'm wondering how you made it work - did you apply for Canadian bank loans as well, or just the one Harvard suggested? (Sorry if some of this is available - my package got sent to a different address and is getting redirected.)

Thanks!

ps. nice dp pic :D
Hey, I'm not too sure about OSAP, or any Canadian gov't loans, as I didn't take any of those. As an International Student, I believe Harvard will guarantee you all the loans you need (around 71K). Assuming you get a similar financial aid package as I was offered last year, Harvard will give you 20K of loans directly from the school and then be your guarantee for ~50K of private loans. For the ~50K you might be better off just getting a loan within Canada or whereever you can find the best interest rates.

saito816

Bronze

Post by saito816 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Got a really shitty lottery number for the waitlist room selection :cry:. Hopefully I can get something, or I'm going to have to look for other off campus options :|

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:21 pm

saito816 wrote:Got a really shitty lottery number for the waitlist room selection :cry:. Hopefully I can get something, or I'm going to have to look for other off campus options :|
Likewise. I'm not even close to 257.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

saito816

Bronze

Post by saito816 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:38 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
saito816 wrote:Got a really shitty lottery number for the waitlist room selection :cry:. Hopefully I can get something, or I'm going to have to look for other off campus options :|
Likewise. I'm not even close to 257.
Yeah, I'm thinking those are probably the people held over from the regular lottery because the email said they retain their number... hopefully a lot of them have found something in the meantime :(

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:59 pm

it really sucks being so far away from Boston looking for housing...can't wait to visit next month! I'm sure it will be an incredibly deflating trip given the move-in costs in Boston, but I am excited nonetheless. I'm going to visit the school too... will be kind of weird with no students, but I just want to have been there before day one of orientation. Can't believe this is all coming so fast!

amangeorge

New

Post by amangeorge » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 am

Hey guys-

Haven't been super active on TLS at any point, but looking forward to meeting you guys this fall. If any of you are still looking for roommates, let me know - my two preferred housing options look like they have fallen through - I'm a 25 year old guy from the DC area excited for the move up to Cambridge.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:55 pm

hey ya'all! i just put a deposit down on an awesome apartment on beacon and washington, about 3/4 mile walk to hls. 2 bed, 2 bathroom, comes with a parking space and is pet friendly. its not that hard to find! kind of expensive at $1100 each but i just wanted to get it over with once i found a good spot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tuxedosquare

New

Post by tuxedosquare » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 pm

mcweanis wrote:hey ya'all! i just put a deposit down on an awesome apartment on beacon and washington, about 3/4 mile walk to hls. 2 bed, 2 bathroom, comes with a parking space and is pet friendly. its not that hard to find! kind of expensive at $1100 each but i just wanted to get it over with once i found a good spot.
were you able to find a place with an august move-in date?

i'm still looking for something good that starts in august...

HNSA15

New

Post by HNSA15 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 pm

hey everyone...I have a really bad # for the housing lottery but am set on living on campus, so I guess I'll have to deal with it. I'm deciding between Holmes, Ames, Hastings, and Shaw. Other than the construction noise I might have to deal with at Shaw, are there any pros/cons anyone can offer about the different buildings? Any of them nicer/newer than the others? Any of them have a better location? Thanks!

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:34 pm

apparently, 90% of apartments in boston/cambridge have leases than end august 31, so youre best bet might be to sublet for the summer then sign the lease for the year.

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:22 pm

mcweanis wrote:apparently, 90% of apartments in boston/cambridge have leases than end august 31, so youre best bet might be to sublet for the summer then sign the lease for the year.
this seems to be the way to go. I signed a June 1st lease and am subletting until Aug 1. It is really not hard to find people to sublet to, as long as your landlord is ok with it.

:wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bikepilot

New

Post by bikepilot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Congrats all (I'm a year out of HLS now). For housing I wouldn't stress too much over on vs off campus. I would avoid Gropius as I dislike the aesthetics and tiny rooms. I found that most off campus students tended to live just to the north, west or north west of the law school. Apartments are often a little less expensive in the somewhat less trendy south-south east areas (like between harvard and central square). I lived near Harvard St and Dana all three years. It was relatively inexpensive and quieter than most areas more popular with students. 12-15 min walk or 3-4 min bike ride to campus so the commute wasn't bad (I walk and bike moderately quickly). Hastings is quite nice - probably the best for on-campus.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm

mcweanis wrote:apparently, 90% of apartments in boston/cambridge have leases than end august 31, so youre best bet might be to sublet for the summer then sign the lease for the year.
Yeah, I was told it is mostly September or June. I just signed a lease starting Sept 1, so I am going to stay in a hotel the last week in August and move in after school has started. Fun! Boy are the pickings slim if you are on a budget. The broker only had three places to show us - two above our price range.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 pm

So how did people fare in the housing lottery last week? I ended up getting a room in Gropius despite an awful lottery number.

fruittree57

New

Post by fruittree57 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Has anyone heard anything about their transcripts arriving? I got an e-mail about the certification form, but it didn't say anything about the transcript and it supposedly shipped two weeks ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:58 pm

fruittree57 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about their transcripts arriving? I got an e-mail about the certification form, but it didn't say anything about the transcript and it supposedly shipped two weeks ago.
Admissions office says they will begin acknowledging transcripts June 15. Indeed, I got an email about the certification that was sent on Friday, but nothing about the transcript that was in the same envelope. Also, I got the distinct sense that you will not be denied admission if your transcript is a little late. (But no promises...)

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:17 pm

delusional wrote:
fruittree57 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about their transcripts arriving? I got an e-mail about the certification form, but it didn't say anything about the transcript and it supposedly shipped two weeks ago.
Admissions office says they will begin acknowledging transcripts June 15. Indeed, I got an email about the certification that was sent on Friday, but nothing about the transcript that was in the same envelope. Also, I got the distinct sense that you will not be denied admission if your transcript is a little late. (But no promises...)
Check the admissions status checker. My transcripts are showing up as received there.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:46 pm

delusional wrote:
Yep, I emailed and they said it was no problem.

nikita

New

Post by nikita » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 pm

There's actually quite a few August first leases, or at least you can choose Aug or Sept. 1st. I've just been browsing craigslist, narrowing search options by "aug' or "august" and there is some selection (though many sept. leases also show up.) From there it's just finding cambridge/somerville locations (for me anyway.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”