Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
catsparka

Bronze

Harvard Law 2014

Post by catsparka » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 am

I know it's early, but I'm like 99% sure I'm going to HLS, so I decided to start this thread! So excited for next fall! :D

jblev2

New

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by jblev2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:12 am

i hope to get into a law school on an island where english is not the primary language, and im from the midwest and do not speak any spanish.

grats

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 am

I'm also 99% sure I will be a man of harvard next year.

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 am

Do we really have to start gunning this early?! :)
I'm still deciding if I'll be 2014 or 2015 (aka defer) but I'll definitely be at Harvard!

As a side note... anyone get to catch the Harvard/Yale game this year? What a game for the Crimson!

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:24 am

Last edited by catsparka on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 am

yay! :mrgreen: Definitely sure I'll be going to Harvard, still trying to wrap my head around that fact tho

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 am

Pretty sure I will be attending, too! I think I will go to the March ASW. Hope to see you all there!

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm definitely leaning towards Harvard, but (and this might be a silly question) why is everyone here so sure? It seems to me that Harvard is crazy competitive, and some people (indeed, around 300 people) need to be in the bottom half of the class. It seems to me important to think honestly about my chances of ending up there, and weigh it against chances of being towards that top (hopefully with some merit aid) from a place like Chicago, which is probably a better position to be in for jobs. Thoughts?

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 pm

I should clarify: if I got significant merit aid at Chicago, I would find it very difficult to turn down, since it seems like I would have a better chance at being towards the top of the Chicago class than the top of the Harvard class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I find it hard to believe that your place within the class would differ that much depending on which T6 you choose. I think the caliber of the student body is pretty similar across those schools.

Also, not only can you be lower in the class at Harvard and still get a job, but the whole grading system somewhat obscures where you are ranked, which can be a good thing if you are more toward the bottom.

I think if you got substantial money at CCN, though, then that would certainly be a viable option. Taking a large part of the debt out of the equation certainly changes the position you are in. I don't think you could really go wrong in that situation. You just have to think about what makes you more comfortable and where you fit.
Last edited by Calla Lily on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 pm

hoopla14 wrote:I'm definitely leaning towards Harvard, but (and this might be a silly question) why is everyone here so sure? It seems to me that Harvard is crazy competitive, and some people (indeed, around 300 people) need to be in the bottom half of the class. It seems to me important to think honestly about my chances of ending up there, and weigh it against chances of being towards that top (hopefully with some merit aid) from a place like Chicago, which is probably a better position to be in for jobs. Thoughts?
In the past, even the bottom half of HLS has placed very, very well. I think everyone is assuming that is still pretty much the case(albeit to a lesser degree). UChicago will be no less competitive than HLS and the students there will be no less fantastic. Im fairly confident that I will do well from either school but the HLS name definitely carries some inherent value for me. All things equal, top 10% at either school probably has the exact same opportunities as far as firm work goes. Still, outside of firm work it is generally believed the Harvard network can give you a pretty big advantage

I agree with you though in that I would have a hard time turning down full tuition at Chicago for Harvard. I think I might be an exception in that I could be debt averse to an extreme(I should get significant grant aid from Harvard) so Im really not sure how much my stance counts.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:21 pm

hoopla14 wrote:I'm definitely leaning towards Harvard, but (and this might be a silly question) why is everyone here so sure? It seems to me that Harvard is crazy competitive, and some people (indeed, around 300 people) need to be in the bottom half of the class. It seems to me important to think honestly about my chances of ending up there, and weigh it against chances of being towards that top (hopefully with some merit aid) from a place like Chicago, which is probably a better position to be in for jobs. Thoughts?
I'd be careful w/ that line of thought. While turning down HLS for significant $$ at CCN is not the wrong answer, I believe your way of thinking about it is. First off, quality of students at both UChi and HLS are going to be pretty close. Second off, I don't think HLS is particularly more competitive than UChi at all (in fact, I assume the opposite, esp. since we have a HP/P/LP system here that takes a small burden off our shoulders). Finally, grades can be (or at least seem) pretty darn random. Please do not start assuming you would be at the top (or close to the top) of x school but not at y school, particularly if they are close in rank (I mean it might be a much more valid point if you were weighing your possible academic success at HLS [rankings-wise] versus a T50).

ps - as others have said, you don't need to be near the top. Ignoring LIPP and stuff for people who want to do public interest work or whatever, I'd say close to 80% of 2Ls who wanted firm jobs have gotten offers from 2L OCI. Exact % and numbers I do not know, but I think 2L OCI last year (2009) was between 70-80% 2Ls who wanted firm jobs and went to OCI/2Ls who got offers at OCI. And that was LAST yr. This past OCI I heard was a lot better...and I think there's definitely a positive upward trend that mirrors the economy lol.

pps - those in the bottom quarter part may still have gotten firm jobs if they mass mailed or did FIP or through personal connections or targeted secondary small markets, etc. of course, due to the economy, not everyone is safe anymore, but I would definitely assume it is safer here than UChi (relatively speaking of equal class rank).

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 pm

So, DoubleChecks, now that we have your attention, any interest in talking about your experience at HLS? Is this finals week? If so, good luck, and I am sure all of us would love your 2 cents about school when your aren't busy studying for exams anymore!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks all!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Calla Lily wrote:So, DoubleChecks, now that we have your attention, any interest in talking about your experience at HLS? Is this finals week? If so, good luck, and I am sure all of us would love your 2 cents about school when your aren't busy studying for exams anymore!
Indeed it is finals week; if you're interested in my experiences at HLS thus far, I am perfectly happy to share them. In fact, I will gladly answer any questions you guys have in this thread (I'd start a "ask HLS 1L questions" thread but I want to save that for after I get my exam grades back...so that I will be in a better position to give advice to 0Ls haha).

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 pm

That makes sense. Thank you for taking questions!

Do you live on campus? If so, did you come straight from undergrad? If not, where do you live and how long does it take you to get to school? I live in the area now, and I was wondering how much of a pain in the ass it would be to take the T in from actual Boston as opposed to living within a short walking distance of campus. I assume it is definitely doable, but wonder whether if it is too much of a hassle.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Calla Lily wrote:That makes sense. Thank you for taking questions!

Do you live on campus? If so, did you come straight from undergrad? If not, where do you live and how long does it take you to get to school? I live in the area now, and I was wondering how much of a pain in the ass it would be to take the T in from actual Boston as opposed to living within a short walking distance of campus. I assume it is definitely doable, but wonder whether if it is too much of a hassle.
I don't live on campus, though I do live in an HRES (so Harvard owns the apt) building, so it is like off-campus but barely lol. My walk to the law school campus is a bit under 20min, which normally is not that bad at all, though I imagine during the winter it will be horrible (but hey, then again, I'm from TX so maybe it'll be totally cool for you haha).

The T-stop isn't that bad...I mean, which Boston stop are you coming in from? The red line stops right at Harvard Square, which is a little under 10min away from classes. I can imagine students living over at Porter Square or Davis Square, but most of the people in my section seem to live either on campus (few, HLS on campus dorms kinda suck) or north off campus (~10min walk away). I'm usually on campus from 10-5 (read in the breaks in between), so if you treat it like a job, I guess the commute wouldn't be too bad...though not necessarily recommended lol. Buuut then again, if it isn't too bad, you'd probably save a lot of money right? haha

Not many have cars up here of course, and there is a bus shuttle that runs and drops you off right at the law school campus...though im not 100% where all the stops are. Oh and yeah, I came straight through from undergrad. Apparently 72% of this yr's class has been out of undergrad for a yr or more, so I'm definitely in the minority haha. I'm guessing the economy = pushing for more experienced students, iunno.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks! I am just trying to weigh the options.

How did you go about getting HRES? Did you do the roommate finder or just do one of the view periods for HRES? I think that might be an option I would explore.

In general, how are you liking school? Any crazy socratic/gunner anecdotes? Do you feel overwhelmed?

Sorry, not trying to dominate this thread. :oops: Just interested!
Last edited by Calla Lily on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Calla Lily wrote:Thanks! I am just trying to weigh the options. redacted
Certainly a possibility. Further you are from campus though, the more committed you are to staying there x hrs a day. Also might make it harder to meet up w/ students, and I definitely recommend getting to know your section mates well or at least forming a small clique lol. A large part of coming to HLS isnt just about the degree or the future job opportunities, but it honestly is also about the people you meet. You never know what they might be doing 10, 20, 30 yrs from now. Just from the cool guest speakers we've had (coughchiefjusticejohnrobertscough), I often get amazed by the caliber of HLS alums.
Calla Lily wrote:How did you go about getting HRES? Did you do the roommate finder or just do one of the view periods for HRES? I think that might be an option I would explore.
Yes I did the HRES viewing period thing. It is sort of a lottery, and some of the places are quite expensive, esp. if you don't get a roommate. I ended up doing an efficiency (no roommate), which has been working out really well for me.
Calla Lily wrote:In general, how are you liking school? Any crazy socratic/gunner anecdotes? Do you feel overwhelmed?
Overall, I have REALLY been enjoying my time at Harvard. I like law school (read: 1L yr) more than I thought I would. Material is usually interesting, professors are engaging and solid quality (varies by section I hear...a few profs in a few sections have been downright horrid). Don't worry too much about the socratic method; I have a professor who is a cold-call machine, and he was really intimidating in the first week. I thought I'd hate the class...but it's turned out to be my favorite haha. He has a wicked sense of humor and you get used to the cold calls really quickly. Just be prepared lol.

Gunner anecdotes? Well, of course there aren't gunners in my section! Especially since anyone in my section can easily figure out who I am by now lol. :P But no honestly, there are of course hard workers and even gunners in every school, but there is no killer competition in my section. Almost everyone is genuinely nice and helpful.
Calla Lily wrote:Sorry, not trying to dominate this thread. :oops: Just interested!

No problem at all lol.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Calla Lily wrote:That makes sense. Thank you for taking questions!

A law student told me to look within walking distance from the campus and try to avoid communiting from even Porter or Davis. But honestly, it just seems so expensive right by the school. Unfortunately, HRES is not an option for me because I have two cats. Trying to find an apartment in the area while living in California will not be fun. I am applying to be a house tutor, but I heard it is very competitive.

apple430

New

Post by apple430 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 am

DoubleChecks-thanks so much for being open to questions!

I was just wondering, not considering price, what do you think/have you heard are the best HRES/off-campus housing options (like in terms of close walking distance to the school and clean/updated interiors). I have no idea what housing is like in the cambridge area and am just trying to put things in perspective.

Is it difficult to balance out the classwork with involvement in student groups/other extra-curricular activities?

Anything you wish you'd known going into your 1L?

Thanks again and best of luck on your exams!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:37 am

apple430 wrote:DoubleChecks-thanks so much for being open to questions!

I was just wondering, not considering price, what do you think/have you heard are the best HRES/off-campus housing options (like in terms of close walking distance to the school and clean/updated interiors). I have no idea what housing is like in the cambridge area and am just trying to put things in perspective.

Is it difficult to balance out the classwork with involvement in student groups/other extra-curricular activities?

Anything you wish you'd known going into your 1L?

Thanks again and best of luck on your exams!!
Best HRES in what regards? Distance? 'Newness'? Since this is Boston, anything post-1950 is considered 'new' hahaha. However, Cowperthwaite and Akron are ACTUALLY new buildings (3-4 yrs old each, built from scratch by Harvard for Harvard grad students)...but it is about a 20min walk (it is on the southern tip). Gropius dorms and Peabody Terrace and Terry Terrace (is this on campus now?) are pretty commonly heard places that law students stay in. Pretty much anything in the Northern-ish direction since the law school is essentially on the northwest side of the campus.

Also, there is a rumor that this new dorm will be complete by the end of the academic yr (maybe still not an option for you guys)...it is SO DANG CLOSE lol. Like I can spit onto Pound from that new dorm haha.

tbh, because so many people differ in what constitutes clean (I am a neat freak), you'll really just have to check out the pics they provide on the HRES website. It is a bit time consuming, but spending some time doing that will really let you know which property is the right one for you.

Now if I could have known anything before going into 1L...hmm...so far so good, I'd say realize that I would be working x hard my first 2 weeks, be doing it all wrong, and will be only working half x as hard later and doing it 2x better haha. There will be a learning curve no matter what, but I think it is best to experience it yourself. Study the way you've studied up until now -- it is what got you here, it'll get you through. Peers may strike fear into your heart about how much studying they are doing...but just stick to your plan for the most part (I'll let you know how that turns out for me in about a month from now lol).

ps - i didnt prep at all for law school beforehand and it has been 100% fine

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 am

Hey guys, nixxers checking in from Beijing. I got in to HLS last fall but I deferred for a year :) The idea of going back to America for three years makes me sadder and sadder as the months go by (boo hoo) but I'm looking forward to law school and being a booknerd again. In the mean time if anyone is in China and wants to meet up let me know. Invisiblesun and I had some funtimes in Shanghai while I was there the past few months, but now I'm trapped up here in the frozen north...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 pm

nixxers wrote:Hey guys, nixxers checking in from Beijing. I got in to HLS last fall but I deferred for a year :) The idea of going back to America for three years makes me sadder and sadder as the months go by (boo hoo) but I'm looking forward to law school and being a booknerd again. In the mean time if anyone is in China and wants to meet up let me know. Invisiblesun and I had some funtimes in Shanghai while I was there the past few months, but now I'm trapped up here in the frozen north...
were you guys in shanghai during june? we could have experienced torture together being crammed up in World Expo lines w/ 500,000 other people in the summer heat!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Lol.. just did searches to find some clerkship/employment data on Harvard and ran across a bunch of articles on the economy and how even some harvard SAs got "no-offered"(apparently this is a shocking thing for the world outside of TLS.) Apparently, the moment I send in my Harvard deposit I will become pretentious, whiny, incompetent, useless, entitled and apparently Harvard gives me a trust fund at some point.. lol.

Also, anyone know where the harvard employment stats are, if anywhere? Im looking for something comparable to this: http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdo ... tstats.htm Obviously, it wont be the most recent data but I still want to take a look.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”