Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
GeePee

Silver

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by GeePee » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:51 pm

delusional wrote:That whole TLS "law school can be a nine to five thing"? Yeah, not so much.
Certainly not in your first couple of weeks, it can't. But don't worry, you'll learn how to read cases and you'll get much more efficient.

jonfen

New

Post by jonfen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi all,

Where can we find old exams and hypos to practice on? Any suggestions for dealing with visiting profs?

Thanks!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm

jonfen wrote:Hi all,

Where can we find old exams and hypos to practice on? Any suggestions for dealing with visiting profs?

Thanks!
answered you in the other thread (HLS students answering Q's thread)

jonfen

New

Post by jonfen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:51 am

Thank you :)

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:38 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

Thanks!
looked for this thread and cannot find :( halp?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 am

nixxers wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Thanks!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=150

middle of the last page -- you're lucky i prowl TLS so often :P

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
nixxers wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Thanks!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=150

middle of the last page -- you're lucky i prowl TLS so often :P
XD yr the best

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Dude so I just got back my feedback from my Climenko on my closed memo draft.

I mean... I knew it wasn't *great* or anything but I thought it was passable? I wouldn't have turned it in if I could have thought of more to do to it o_O

but if I did one thing right in the whole 6.5 pages she didn't let me know :? she basically tore it apart. apparently I really misunderstood a lot of what we were supposed to do.

(also she did accuse me of mis-citing a page from the assignment, which i didn't do, and one of the things I did wrong was something my BSA told me to do. lol. dksgelgjbskgebslkesrh)

and at the end she even suggested that maybe I "ran out of time" trying to finish it!!

I feel extremely discouraged right now... like I don't know how to even go about fixing this, and I'm terrified for our meeting because I'm worried she thinks I just didn't care or something. words of wisdom or encouragement would be appreciated..

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 pm

nixxers wrote:Dude so I just got back my feedback from my Climenko on my closed memo draft.

I mean... I knew it wasn't *great* or anything but I thought it was passable? I wouldn't have turned it in if I could have thought of more to do to it o_O

but if I did one thing right in the whole 6.5 pages she didn't let me know :? she basically tore it apart. apparently I really misunderstood a lot of what we were supposed to do.

(also she did accuse me of mis-citing a page from the assignment, which i didn't do, and one of the things I did wrong was something my BSA told me to do. lol. dksgelgjbskgebslkesrh)

and at the end she even suggested that maybe I "ran out of time" trying to finish it!!

I feel extremely discouraged right now... like I don't know how to even go about fixing this, and I'm terrified for our meeting because I'm worried she thinks I just didn't care or something. words of wisdom or encouragement would be appreciated..
hm, what section are you in? pm me if you dont want to out on thread. also, im sorry to hear that, but are the comments at least helpful? i forget, but is there a meeting before the closed memo is due? was this the closed memo final or just the draft? if it is just the draft then definitely incorporate and move on (though they will find new things to slam in the final that were NEVER brought up in the draft). legal writing takes a bit getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it im sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
nixxers wrote:Dude so I just got back my feedback from my Climenko on my closed memo draft.

hm, what section are you in? pm me if you dont want to out on thread. also, im sorry to hear that, but are the comments at least helpful? i forget, but is there a meeting before the closed memo is due? was this the closed memo final or just the draft? if it is just the draft then definitely incorporate and move on (though they will find new things to slam in the final that were NEVER brought up in the draft). legal writing takes a bit getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it im sure.
PM'd you (as if its not completely obvious to anyone who knows me who i am hahah)... but yeah it's just the draft...you're right, incorporate (if i can figure out how lol) and move on

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 pm

nixxers wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

PM'd you (as if its not completely obvious to anyone who knows me who i am hahah)... but yeah it's just the draft...you're right, incorporate (if i can figure out how lol) and move on
Responded to your pm. Good luck.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:52 am

Uh oh. Now I'm freaked out. My meeting isn't until next week.
What does mis-citing something from the assignment mean? And what part did you supposedly not understand?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:40 am

delusional wrote:

Uh oh. Now I'm freaked out. My meeting isn't until next week.
What does mis-citing something from the assignment mean? And what part did you supposedly not understand?
The 'mis-citing' - a small thing really, but I mentioned that the FSN producers picked the winner in advance, and put an "id." that cited it to page 1 (it's on the bottom of page 1) and she was like "Your id refers to a page 1 citation, but this information is on page 2." lol thats all -_-

for the not understand, haha I mean I'm sure you're fine, I apparently don't get what the "proof" part of the crupac is supposed to look like... which is depressing because I just went off of what I did for the trampoline assignment, which my BSA said was fine so I'm just not sure where I went wrong... And I am struggling on the "consideration" part and how to develop that section further. And the bluebooking.... oh the bluebooking. Well, I'll post after my meeting and let you know what happens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am

For the proof, just do: "In Citing This v. Case, the Court held that <insert what they held with THEIR facts to lead to the rule you just cited>." In this case, ... <--- this begins the A part of the CRuPAC

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 pm

nixxers wrote: The 'mis-citing' - a small thing really, but I mentioned that the FSN producers picked the winner in advance, and put an "id." that cited it to page 1 (it's on the bottom of page 1) and she was like "Your id refers to a page 1 citation, but this information is on page 2." lol thats all -_-

for the not understand, haha I mean I'm sure you're fine, I apparently don't get what the "proof" part of the crupac is supposed to look like... which is depressing because I just went off of what I did for the trampoline assignment, which my BSA said was fine so I'm just not sure where I went wrong... And I am struggling on the "consideration" part and how to develop that section further. And the bluebooking.... oh the bluebooking. Well, I'll post after my meeting and let you know what happens.
Using a short form referring to the bottom of the previous page is absolutely okay -- the only time it's frowned upon is between sections, and that hardly ever comes up. Weird that your Climenko won't allow that.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:For the proof, just do: "In Citing This v. Case, the Court held that <insert what they held with THEIR facts to lead to the rule you just cited>." In this case, ... <--- this begins the A part of the CRuPAC
really? that's not what I did at all. mine was more like:

Brenda likely has a valid claim of promissory estoppel. The elements of promissory estoppel are 1) a promise reasonably expected by the promissor to induce action or forbearance,2) action or forbearance by the promisee in justifiable reliance on the promise (i.e. “detrimental reliance”), and 3) that injustice can be avoided only through enforcement of the promise. Rest Sec 90. Here, Mike promised Brenda that he would show up for the date during the telephone conversation on 09/01, which is proof of the promise. Brenda demonstrated reliance by buying a dress, putting makeup on, taking a taxi from her house to the agreed-upon location, etc. And clearly, to allow Mike to stand her up without any compensation to Brenda is a great injustice. Therefore, Brenda has a valid claim of promissory estoppel.

Conclusion:Brenda likely has a valid claim of promissory estoppel.

Rule: The elements of promissory estoppel are 1) a promise reasonably expected by the promissor to induce action or forbearance,2) action or forbearance by the promisee in justifiable reliance on the promise (i.e. “detrimental reliance”), and 3) that injustice can be avoided only through enforcement of the promise.

Proof: Rest Sec 90

Analysis: Here, Mike promised Brenda that he would show up for the date during the telephone conversation on 09/01, which is proof of the promise. Brenda demonstrated reliance by buying a dress, putting makeup on, taking a taxi from her house to the agreed-upon location, etc. And clearly, to allow Mike to stand her up without any compensation to Brenda is a great injustice.

Conclusion: Therefore, Brenda has a valid claim of promissory estoppel.

If the analysis was more substantial, a Level 1 heading might be "Brenda likely has a valid claim of promissory estoppel." Then I would state the rule/prove it..and break into three subsections, one for each element. Each of those elements would then be CRuPAC'd themselves..hope this makes sense.

I guess my point was that the "proof" for my stuff was always just a citation, not an explanation of why its the proof??

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 pm

englawyer wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:For the proof, just do: "In Citing This v. Case, the Court held that <insert what they held with THEIR facts to lead to the rule you just cited>." In this case, ... <--- this begins the A part of the CRuPAC
really? that's not what I did at all. mine was more like:

Brenda likely has a valid claim of promissory estoppel. The elements of promissory estoppel are 1) a promise reasonably expected by the promissor to induce action or forbearance,2) action or forbearance by the promisee in justifiable reliance on the promise (i.e. “detrimental reliance”), and 3) that injustice can be avoided only through enforcement of the promise. Rest Sec 90. Here, Mike promised Brenda that he would show up for the date during the telephone conversation on 09/01, which is proof of the promise. Brenda demonstrated reliance by buying a dress, putting makeup on, taking a taxi from her house to the agreed-upon location, etc. And clearly, to allow Mike to stand her up without any compensation to Brenda is a great injustice. Therefore, Brenda has a valid claim of promissory estoppel.

Conclusion:Brenda likely has a valid claim of promissory estoppel.

Rule: The elements of promissory estoppel are 1) a promise reasonably expected by the promissor to induce action or forbearance,2) action or forbearance by the promisee in justifiable reliance on the promise (i.e. “detrimental reliance”), and 3) that injustice can be avoided only through enforcement of the promise.

Proof: Rest Sec 90

Analysis: Here, Mike promised Brenda that he would show up for the date during the telephone conversation on 09/01, which is proof of the promise. Brenda demonstrated reliance by buying a dress, putting makeup on, taking a taxi from her house to the agreed-upon location, etc. And clearly, to allow Mike to stand her up without any compensation to Brenda is a great injustice.

Conclusion: Therefore, Brenda has a valid claim of promissory estoppel.

If the analysis was more substantial, a Level 1 heading might be "Brenda likely has a valid claim of promissory estoppel." Then I would state the rule/prove it..and break into three subsections, one for each element. Each of those elements would then be CRuPAC'd themselves..hope this makes sense.

I guess my point was that the "proof" for my stuff was always just a citation, not an explanation of why its the proof??
Don't know who your LRW prof was, but I know nixxers and I had the same one. If memory serves, my post was more similar to what she was looking for -- or rather, if my proof were just a citation, she'd mark points off for sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:23 pm

GeePee wrote:
nixxers wrote: The 'mis-citing' - a small thing really, but I mentioned that the FSN producers picked the winner in advance, and put an "id." that cited it to page 1 (it's on the bottom of page 1) and she was like "Your id refers to a page 1 citation, but this information is on page 2." lol thats all -_-

Using a short form referring to the bottom of the previous page is absolutely okay -- the only time it's frowned upon is between sections, and that hardly ever comes up. Weird that your Climenko won't allow that.
Our Climenko was VERY strict on the rules and structure.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:16 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Don't know who your LRW prof was, but I know nixxers and I had the same one. If memory serves, my post was more similar to what she was looking for -- or rather, if my proof were just a citation, she'd mark points off for sure.
pretty interesting..i guess different profs want different structure 8)

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:00 pm

OKAY. I just had my meeting with my climenko and it went a lot better than I thought. DoubleChecks thanks for your encouragement and advice. Other 1Ls who read my previous frantic comment, do not fear. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. She told me she thought i could "fix" my memo in "one afternoon" hahaha....I am pretty sure it will take me a lot longer than that but it was kind of her to say so anyway 8)

GL!

Pygmaeus

New

Post by Pygmaeus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi, I'm a Fordham 1L, and Professor Jed Shugerman is visiting us from Harvard and teaching torts this semester. Does anyone have a Torts outline from his class they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scrubjunkie

New

Post by scrubjunkie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 am

can someone help me with my personal statement for Harvard! Im down to swap with someone!!

Thank you!

PM ME

frt148

New

Post by frt148 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:12 am

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I was admitted last night, haven't gotten registration info, and just joined this thread. Does anyone know when programming starts for the April ASW? Does it start in the morning on April 12 or are there any evening activities April 11?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 am

frt148 wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered, but I was admitted last night, haven't gotten registration info, and just joined this thread. Does anyone know when programming starts for the April ASW? Does it start in the morning on April 12 or are there any evening activities April 11?
Congrats on getting in, but this is the wrong thread. This is the c/o 2014 thread, started three years ago when us current 3Ls had been admitted. It was cool to see the throwback though. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”