Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bedefan

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by bedefan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Section 6 here. Anything to say about Jon Hanson?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Jon Hanson is sort of infamous in that he doesn't really teach law the way most professors would (in both torts and corporations) -- but most people who take his class really like it. His interests are mostly in the interaction between law and mind sciences, which gives him a really unique perspective. He also is really into analyzing caselaw from a feminist point of view.

That said, most people seemed to like him as a section leader, but the section got a bit of a bad rap last year for being the gunner section (there are probably varying perspectives on the truth of that reputation).

bedefan

Bronze

Post by bedefan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Maybe this has been covered already, but what does a section leader do/what is one for, in your experience?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:16 pm

The section leader organizes basic events for your section as icebreakers and bonding time, and is your all-purpose contact for general needs, wants, and concerns not specifically appropriate for any one person otherwise. He or she directs you to on-campus resources and encourages involvement in the HLS scene. To bolster this goal, your section leader will always teach one of your first semester core courses, so you can really begin to cultivate a relationship in and out of the classroom.

Tolmanator

New

Post by Tolmanator » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Section 3!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mildlyironic

New

Post by mildlyironic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Section 4 with Prof. Jeannie Suk!

Tips, advice, fellow classmates and info much appreciated =)

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Tolmanator wrote:Section 3!
fist bump

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:14 pm

mildlyironic wrote:Section 4 with Prof. Jeannie Suk!

All I know is that she's married to Noah Feldman.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:44 pm

is john manning still section 1 leader? he is (literally) the nicest prof...lol

and...ive heard jeannie suk has an "intense" personality -- take that for what it's worth

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:01 pm

mildlyironic wrote:Section 4 with Prof. Jeannie Suk!

Section 4 here also :D

bedefan

Bronze

Post by bedefan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

GeePee wrote:The section leader organizes basic events for your section as icebreakers and bonding time, and is your all-purpose contact for general needs, wants, and concerns not specifically appropriate for any one person otherwise. He or she directs you to on-campus resources and encourages involvement in the HLS scene. To bolster this goal, your section leader will always teach one of your first semester core courses, so you can really begin to cultivate a relationship in and out of the classroom.
That's funny -- I just logged into MyPlan and it looks like Hanson isn't teaching any of my core courses in fall, winter, or spring... Just the zero credit "Section Meeting." Unless that's actually a course that's filled in later?

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:33 pm

I am a 0L, so take that for what it's worth, but I met with Prof. Hanson at the ASW, and he said he was going on sabbatical this year, so maybe that is why it shows that you don't have him for any classes. As far as I can remember, I think he said he was still going to be around the area, so perhaps that is how he is still acting as a section leader.

Also from ASW, I sat in on one of the panels on law teaching that Prof. Suk was on. I can definitely see the intense personality, but at least she seems like a straight shooter.

Side note - also section 7 (B for LRW)! If any section 7ers want to meet up before school, feel free to PM me. I live in the area, so I will be around before school starts.

LawTalkingGuy

New

Post by LawTalkingGuy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 pm

GeePee wrote:Anyone in Section 2? Who's your section leader/professors -- I can probably help.
Section 2's leader this year is Jim Greiner. We've got him for Civ Pro, Sargentich for Torts, Stilt for Property and Brewer for Contracts. Any advice/insider info?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Alright, I'll preempt any more PM's about insider info for section 2 (although I'm happy to talk more via PM) by saying that the only returning professor from last year is Greiner, and I am one of his TA's and will proffer tons of advice to you as the semester goes on if you ask me. Unfortunately, I can't really provide any help on your other professors, but am happy to talk to you all about dealing with and enjoying 1L more generally. Now is not the time for that, though -- enjoy the last couple of weeks of your summers and start bonding with your classmates early and often at orientation.

Sorry guys, our lineup of professors was better last year.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:is john manning still section 1 leader? he is (literally) the nicest prof...lol

and...ive heard jeannie suk has an "intense" personality -- take that for what it's worth
manning is awesome, and i can't say enough good things about him (for instance, he planned a surprise section Q&A with chief justice roberts in november when he was on campus for the ames finals). curious who the rest of section 1's professors are.

rui

New

Post by rui » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 am

Sec 1:

Contracts: Warren
Civ Pro: M. Ratner (Visiting)
Torts: K Hylton (Visiting)
LegReg: Manning
LRW: Bradt

oranje23

New

Post by oranje23 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:04 am

Section 4

CivPro: W. Rubenstein
Torts: B. Roin
Property: H. Smith
LegReg: P. Shane (visiting)
LRW: J. Coleman

any comments?

A general question: is there an existing forum on which students can view and post comments on courses/professors?Just curious because my undergrad school has one and it is only accessible by students.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:52 am

rui wrote:Sec 1:

I had a friend who had Ratner for Remedies last year and said he was pretty good, but I don't know anything more specific. Manning is outstanding. Andrew Bradt is a second-year Climenko, was my LRW instructor last year, and is a phenomenal instructor (although you will have to deal with bad 70s TV jokes). Do y'all have Alvin Warren or Elizabeth Warren for K's? If the former, he's a Tax prof who I know very little about otherwise; if it's Elizabeth Warren, she is a rockstar, super-Socratic, and people apparently love her. Unless this Hylton person is a terrible prof (I know nothing about him/her) it sounds like you guys came away with a very solid lineup.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am

Anyone with info on section 3?

Torts - Zittrain
Property - Singer
Legislation and Regulation - Barron
LRW - Plunkett
Civil Proc. Rubenstein

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:44 am

smittytron3k wrote:
rui wrote:Sec 1:

I had a friend who had Ratner for Remedies last year and said he was pretty good, but I don't know anything more specific. Manning is outstanding. Andrew Bradt is a second-year Climenko, was my LRW instructor last year, and is a phenomenal instructor (although you will have to deal with bad 70s TV jokes). Do y'all have Alvin Warren or Elizabeth Warren for K's? If the former, he's a Tax prof who I know very little about otherwise; if it's Elizabeth Warren, she is a rockstar, super-Socratic, and people apparently love her. Unless this Hylton person is a terrible prof (I know nothing about him/her) it sounds like you guys came away with a very solid lineup.
just to add a bit to what smitty said, Alvin Warren, I've heard, is the best Tax prof to take at HLS...so that should be a good thing in terms of his credibility or teaching prowess (though i do recall having heard that he has rather extreme views on the tax system...but i forget which side those views fall on haha). If it's Elizabeth Warren...super neat because I enjoyed Bruce Mann a lot...and they're apparently replicas of each other in teaching style. Pure socratic, intimidating, but yet heart-warmingly sweet and nice at the same time (from what I've heard). Will grow to love fast im sure haha.

oh and +1 million to Manning being an outstanding person. his class style itself, however, may not be to everyone's liking. his lecture seriously is almost the exact same as the textbook notes...though I guess that's understandable as he wrote the textbook. i guess that isn't too big of an issue as you do learn a LOT about leg/reg in his class. he's also the type that opens up the classroom to individual comments that can go on for quite awhile. could be a good thing if you enjoy that, could be frustrating if you dont.

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 pm

has anyone been able to figure out what textbooks are required for our classes or have they told us when we would receive that info? I plan on ordering as many as possible to save some money and don't want to be stuck waiting for them to arrive when classes begin. I figured once we knew our classes we would see a list, but that doesn't appear to be the case (unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible...)
:wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Last edited by Calla Lily on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:55 pm

If you go here --LinkRemoved-- and enter in the Term, Dept = First Year, then your section, you can look up the book list for each course. Most of mine still say TBA, though, and the lists don't appear to be full lists yet.

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:01 pm

hulahoop wrote:has anyone been able to figure out what textbooks are required for our classes or have they told us when we would receive that info? I plan on ordering as many as possible to save some money and don't want to be stuck waiting for them to arrive when classes begin. I figured once we knew our classes we would see a list, but that doesn't appear to be the case (unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible...)
:wink:
+1 to this. I'm really curious. I did find what some of our textbooks are y looking at course syllabi (I'm in section 4) and I called the Coop to compare prices wit Amazon for a couple. From what I can tell, the used prices are generally similar and the price for new textbooks at the Coop is about fifty dollars or so more than what you can get them for used.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Calla Lily wrote:If you go here --LinkRemoved-- and enter in the Term, Dept = First Year, then your section, you can look up the book list for each course. Most of mine still say TBA, though, and the lists don't appear to be full lists yet.
TBA and TBA 1 still list books, even though there is no course name. I can't believe how many books there are for torts. Only $400 if you can get everything used.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”