Harvard Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
sarahlawg

Silver

Re: Harvard Law 2014

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Does anyone have any recommended real estate agent? Harvard has a lot on their list, so I'm just trying to narrow it down further. Thanks!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 pm

sarahlawg wrote:Does anyone have any recommended real estate agent? Harvard has a lot on their list, so I'm just trying to narrow it down further. Thanks!
I used Apartment Rental Experts. They were fine, but they only had three places to show us. My understanding (but I could be wrong) is that they will only show you apartments listed with them, so you may want to contact more than one broker.

LCV

New

Post by LCV » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 pm

I've been super busy with other stuff and just started looking for an apartment now. It seems that all the harvard housing off campus options are more or less gone. I see some apartments in peabody terrace appearing and disappearing once in a while. Does anyone know something about the building/apartmentss? Are they OK?

Should I just go with an agent instead??

Thanks!

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Hey, so my immunization forms are definitely going to be late... is this going to be a big problem??

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:14 am

From the admitted students website:

"You should plan to have each form sent to Health Services by July 1. Please keep in mind that these forms are required for registration, and the absence of the completed forms will prevent or delay your registration."

If there is a specific reason, I bet they could work with you on that; I would just check in with Admissions and see what they say, since it might be a big deal/annoying if your registration gets delayed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:42 pm

nixxers wrote:Hey, so my immunization forms are definitely going to be late... is this going to be a big problem??
I won't have the hep b vaccination done by the time school starts (it's a 7 month series..), and they said that would not affect registration for me. Don't know about the others.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 pm

where are the health forms? online? i didnt see em in the mail

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:51 am

mcweanis wrote:where are the health forms? online? i didnt see em in the mail
yes they're on the admitted students site

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:26 pm

anyone know why transcripts sent through lsac are "not sufficient" for fulfilling the final transcript requirement for someone who has been out of school for more than 2 years? Does everyone have to resend transcripts directly there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:34 pm

I don't know the "why" but yes, everyone is required to resend transcripts directly to HLS, even those of us who have been out of school for over 2 years.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Calla Lily wrote:I don't know the "why" but yes, everyone is required to resend transcripts directly to HLS, even those of us who have been out of school for over 2 years.
thanks...now if only my schools didn't require payment to send them :(

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Aww, yeah that is annoying. It is sad that schools aren't necessarily sensitive to the cost issue. Thankfully, my UG just had some one-time fee that we paid while in school.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:52 pm

It was kind of annoying. I even had to send a transcript for the extension school I took 2 classes from. They charged me $15.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 pm

yeah, I just kind of wish I was closer to the schools so I could easily just go to them and request this stuff. between the transcripts, the college certifications, immunizations, health forms, the shots I had to get yesterday, having to redo my direct loan stuff, etc, I am getting tired of all the crap I have to do for them. But on the bright side, all the people I've corresponded with have been really nice and helpful, which is more than I can say about other schools' offices. I think I'm just getting antsy and want to be there already. I need to relax so the summer doesn't go too fast! a night by the pool with margaritas here I come...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 pm

sarahlawg wrote:yeah, I just kind of wish I was closer to the schools so I could easily just go to them and request this stuff. between the transcripts, the college certifications, immunizations, health forms, the shots I had to get yesterday, having to redo my direct loan stuff, etc, I am getting tired of all the crap I have to do for them. But on the bright side, all the people I've corresponded with have been really nice and helpful, which is more than I can say about other schools' offices. I think I'm just getting antsy and want to be there already. I need to relax so the summer doesn't go too fast! a night by the pool with margaritas here I come...
+four gazillion. Every time I cross something off my list, another one pops up to take its place.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am

sarahlawg wrote:anyone know why transcripts sent through lsac are "not sufficient" for fulfilling the final transcript requirement for someone who has been out of school for more than 2 years? Does everyone have to resend transcripts directly there?
I emailed the admissions office a while back asking if I should send my final transcript to them or to LSAC, and they said I had to send it to them because LSAC doesn't release transcripts to third parties.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 pm

does anyone know anything about this base loan application thing???

it says if i dont fill it out by the 30th the payment wont show up on my fall bill or something, and that i also have to pay by the beginning of august. do loans come through that fast??? my parents are out of the country for the next 3 weeks and i need their help for the loan apps, or no effing WAY will i be able to put even $1,000 towards that bill. helllp!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 pm

mcweanis wrote:does anyone know anything about this base loan application thing???

it says if i dont fill it out by the 30th the payment wont show up on my fall bill or something, and that i also have to pay by the beginning of august. do loans come through that fast??? my parents are out of the country for the next 3 weeks and i need their help for the loan apps, or no effing WAY will i be able to put even $1,000 towards that bill. helllp!!

I think you're talking about the base supplemental loan package. As far as I understand, all you have to do is fill out a short form that requires no complicated information from your parents. Essentially, you are requesting the loan funds that you will need, in excess of all other aid, to meet your student budget. You are going to get a bill on July 7th and then another one on August 10th; the website makes it sound a bit more complicated than it really is. Both bills will be considered paid by any "anticipated financial aid credits" you will have by July 7th, which should include the total package that HLS awarded you in addition to the supplemental GRADplus loans you need to apply for by the 30th. When your loans actually all come in, which is, as I recall, between September and November, the money will automatically go right to HLS.

The GRADplus loan application form can be found on the HLS website. It is short and easy to complete--and then it will require you to sign a master promissory note right after you submit it.

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Also, the SFS website is really thorough. I think their step 3 of the financial aid process is called "understand and apply for your loans" and it answers a lot of questions you may have. It took me a while to read all of the pages but it helped me understand all the different loans that were part of my package and what I had to do to secure them.

Antyrael

New

Post by Antyrael » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey,

Can anybody explain the process for moving a vehicle from out of state to Massachusetts? New license, new registration, then I need a separate parking pass from Somerville (where I'm living) AND Cambridge?

Where do you keep your car while you're doing all of this? Are there temporary street parking permits?

Thanks!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Antyrael wrote:Hey,

Can anybody explain the process for moving a vehicle from out of state to Massachusetts? New license, new registration, then I need a separate parking pass from Somerville (where I'm living) AND Cambridge?

Where do you keep your car while you're doing all of this? Are there temporary street parking permits?

Thanks!
You can get a temporary permit for Somerville.
http://www.parksomerville.com/pdfs/perm ... cation.pdf

I don't believe you can get a pemit for Cambridge since you are not a resident. Are you planning to drive to school? I think school parking is pretty expensive. It is probably cheaper to take public transportation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Calla Lily

Bronze

Post by Calla Lily » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Last edited by Calla Lily on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 pm

anyone know the deal with the gym? do we get a membership, or is there a cheap one we can get through harvard, or are we on our own?

tuxedosquare

New

Post by tuxedosquare » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

mcweanis wrote:anyone know the deal with the gym? do we get a membership, or is there a cheap one we can get through harvard, or are we on our own?
someone asked about the gyms in one of the threads. info should be here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&start=50

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:46 am

anybody know when we find out our sections/schedules? im trying to buy plane tickets back home for the holidays but i dont know what time my classes will be out for the day :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”