Boston College Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
knotoftoads

New

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Post by knotoftoads » Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Perch wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Got an apt within walking distance of campus. Sweeeeet! :mrgreen:
already signed a lease? I was planning on waiting until the housing event in June. Is that too late?
yea I thought it was still pretty early but thats awesome you already got a place. I'd also like to be within walking distance

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:12 pm

mettasutta wrote:Got an apt within walking distance of campus. Sweeeeet! :mrgreen:
Nice. I got my apartment locked in too. I'm living in Cleveland Circle though, so I'm planning to take the BC shuttle to campus. My car-less roommates and I decided we need to be close to the T!

Does it seem crazy to move up to MA on August 27? Orientation starts the 29th. Ideally I'd like to be there earlier, but I doubt I can move into my apartment before the 29th and maybe not even until Sept. 1, so it seems pointless to move up earlier when I could still be working and pulling down a paycheck.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 pm

The apartment search is killing me... my fiance and I are still in undergrad and both live at home with parents because we're saving for our wedding, so we have no references or old landlords or anything. Not knowing where he will be working after graduation doesn't help matters because right now we don't make very much and most places have been asking for paystubs and such. It's so frustrating because we know the money for rent will be there, but loans don't count for income :x

How are you guys finding apartments?

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Wed May 11, 2011 12:19 am

Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 9:45 am

Bpobryan wrote:Am I the only one who hasn't heard a peep from BC since sending in my deposit, save for a 4 line generic email? What gives? Thought there might be some contact, calendar, information on what happens next, maybe just a more personal acknowledgment... Am I missing something?
I haven't heard much either...it's annoying. I've also had a pretty bad experience trying to negotiate scholly $ and it is really turning me off of the school. Considering dropping even though they have my deposit b/c I think their admissions team kind of sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 am

bostonlawchick wrote: How are you guys finding apartments?
I'm curious about this as well...assuming I stick around I wasn't planning to come up until June -- should I be starting already?

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 pm

fingersxd wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote: How are you guys finding apartments?
I'm curious about this as well...assuming I stick around I wasn't planning to come up until June -- should I be starting already?
There's kinda slim pickings for august leases... I don't know if it's because I'm too early or too late though. Or maybe I'm just being too picky. I'm having a tough time finding someone who wants to rent to someone who won't have a job.

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I think August leases are very rare. I've been searching for a few months now and I finally accepted that I will be in a Sept 1 lease. As for landlords asking for paystubs - I believe they do only a credit check, then they either ask for a co-signer if you don't have a job or you can put down additional security deposit or last month rent - usually this seems to make them feel safer having you sign a lease.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Wed May 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Well ::crosses fingers:: I think our apartment search is over. We're probably going to be living right outside Foxboro, which I guess is about a 30 min drive to school. I don't mind the commute though, I drive 40 minutes to school right now. It's just SO MUCH cheaper to live outside the immediate Boston area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:38 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Well ::crosses fingers:: I think our apartment search is over. We're probably going to be living right outside Foxboro, which I guess is about a 30 min drive to school. I don't mind the commute though, I drive 40 minutes to school right now. It's just SO MUCH cheaper to live outside the immediate Boston area.
Just an FYI, if you're taking 93 up to Boston and you're traveling at peak commuter times (ie around 7-9 am going into the city and 4-6 coming out), you're looking at more of a 40-50 minute commute in all likelihood. 30 minutes to Foxboro would be if the roads were empty.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 am

RPK34 wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Well ::crosses fingers:: I think our apartment search is over. We're probably going to be living right outside Foxboro, which I guess is about a 30 min drive to school. I don't mind the commute though, I drive 40 minutes to school right now. It's just SO MUCH cheaper to live outside the immediate Boston area.
Just an FYI, if you're taking 93 up to Boston and you're traveling at peak commuter times (ie around 7-9 am going into the city and 4-6 coming out), you're looking at more of a 40-50 minute commute in all likelihood. 30 minutes to Foxboro would be if the roads were empty.

No, I'd be taking 95 up to Commonwealth and heading into Newton that way. I'm planning to do all of my work on campus anyway, so I don't mind getting to campus early and staying a little later so I don't have to bring work home with me. I just really can't justify paying like 300 a month more for an apartment half the size, and this way my fiance might not have to leave his job.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey, if anyone is looking for an apartment, shoot me a PM. I have a place in Newton that's barely a mile from the school for $600 a month. It's in a great neighborhood, close to the school, close to the T (if you wanted to go into Boston), and a great price for the Boston area. I need to know very soon, so if you're looking for a place, just let me know.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 pm

fingersxd wrote:
Bpobryan wrote:Am I the only one who hasn't heard a peep from BC since sending in my deposit, save for a 4 line generic email? What gives? Thought there might be some contact, calendar, information on what happens next, maybe just a more personal acknowledgment... Am I missing something?
I haven't heard much either...it's annoying. I've also had a pretty bad experience trying to negotiate scholly $ and it is really turning me off of the school. Considering dropping even though they have my deposit b/c I think their admissions team kind of sucks.
Yeah, I'd really like more info too. I'm not that annoyed by it, but it would be nice to know more details.

If you're looking for the academic calendar, it's online. I googled "BC Law Academic Calendar" or something like that and found it for the 2011-2012 school year. It looks like we get quite a few holidays off, which is nice. At my UG it seemed like we were lucky to even get Thanskgiving and Christmas off.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Wed May 25, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm calling tomorrow anyway, but just to get some reassurance tonight- 2nd deposit must be POSTMARKED by June 1, correct?

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Wed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Perch wrote:I'm calling tomorrow anyway, but just to get some reassurance tonight- 2nd deposit must be POSTMARKED by June 1, correct?
Yes.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 am

everyone get those deposits in? getting excited for the housing fair!

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm

I completely forgot about the deposit and had to run to the post office at 3pm yesterday :oops: oh well... Got it in! Looking forward to getting my bc email.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 am

Got confirmation of my second deposit, and a whole bunch of new stuff popped up on agora. Our emails are available now too :D it's starting to feel like I'm actually going to law school!

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 am

very exciting. do you all think we actually need those financial forms in by the 10th, or is it just a suggested date?

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Perch wrote:very exciting. do you all think we actually need those financial forms in by the 10th, or is it just a suggested date?
I could have sworn that in one of the other emails they said they would send us a request for the other stuff.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 am

Accidentally posted this in the applicants thread instead of the 2014 thread:

Soooo I'm getting kind of excited. I was looking around on Agora and we can now see course listings if you click on 'my services' and then 'course information and schedule'. It's just a list of all the courses offered next semester, but it has 1L courses listed.

If it doesn't change, Contracts, torts, and property are all Tuesday Thursday Friday I think, except one section of torts is on TWF. Civpro and LRRW are Monday and Wednesday for everyone. It looks like we're all going to be there from about 9-3 on T Th F no matter what section we're in, and Monday and Wednesday you either get out early or go in late.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I am pretty sure the forms are due by the 10th. The Law Validation form, tax returns (for you and possibly/probably your parents), and another one page letter authorizing them to use loan money to pay your tuition.

knotoftoads

New

Post by knotoftoads » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 pm

zonto wrote:I am pretty sure the forms are due by the 10th. The Law Validation form, tax returns (for you and possibly/probably your parents), and another one page letter authorizing them to use loan money to pay your tuition.
I sent in whatever it said on agora I needed, my 1040, w2, and validation form but what is the one page letter authorizing them to use loan money to pay my tuition?

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 pm

On the validation form I believe. They printed a link to another webpage where I had to print another document and mail it to another address.

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Where is the request for these forms - did you guys get an email from the school or are you seeing it on Agora?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”