Boston College Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
alumniguy

Bronze

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Post by alumniguy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 am

BlueDiamond wrote:
HWS08 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
Perch wrote:anyone know when first tuition payment is due?
from everything I have seen it is due by August 10th
That's what I have seen too.

I also have a lease that starts Sept. 1. Hopefully the current residents will decide to move out by the 26th or 27th; otherwise I might just wait until Labor Day weekend to move in because I don't really want to add one more thing to worry about during those first few days of classes.
same here... I feel like the school did a pretty crappy job with the scheduling.. other than people who live in Boston already i haven't heard of anyone who has had an easy time finding something before Sept. 1.. moving in on the first day of real classes sounds like hell
It has been this way since I started in 2005. The issue is that the school can't really wait until after Sept. 1st because it is a tight school calendar. If memory serves me right, there a few if any "days off" during the fall and unless you want to have exams literally on Christmas Eve, then they have to start the school year when they do.

The real issue is the insistence by landlords of a Sept. 1 move-in date. If you are really concerned about it, you should attempt to contact the current tenants of the place you rent and see if you can negotiate to have them move out early. I would imagine that if you offered some cash up front, they would be willing to move out early. You'll want to run this by the landlord so that they can get the place cleaned in time, but it is a possibility.

A fair warning to all, Sept. 1st in Boston is absolute chaos. Everyone is moving. If you need a moving van, you better reserve it asap. Another option to move your belongings the weekend after. I showed up in August with two suitcases (mostly clothes) and my belongings came about 5 days after I started classes. I bought an air mattress for the first few nights and it wasn't that uncomfortable. Plus, while you are going to be nervous on day 1, most professors aren't assigning hundreds and hundreds of pages during the first week. In fact, most professors take it pretty slow at first and then slowly ramp up after a few weeks of classes.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:22 pm

This is always a tough subject. I echo Alumniguy's post. A lot of students take August 1 leases or try to sublet the apartment that they're moving into for the last weeks/month of August. This naturally comes with some restrictions if you're going through a management company (i.e. if they allow it, you'l probably have to waive the cleaning between tenants). If you're renting an apartment that a student is vacating, try to touch base and see if you could dmp your stuff early.
Aside from that, the only good option is to leave your things back home, crash at a friend's place or grab a hotel, and move up for Sept 1.

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Oh yes, I now remember what I did before my Sept. 1 lease started. Basically, I rented a room at a house and paid by the day. There is a real estate office located right across from the main campus (I actually used that real estate office to find my apartment) and explained to them that I needed a place to stay before my apartment was ready to move in. Apparently they had apartments that hadn't filled up yet and worked out with landlords to rent the place on a day to day basis. It was me and a bunch of undergraduate international students. Not ideal, but did the trick.

If you end up using a real estate broker (or even if you don't), and you find that you can't work out something with the LL or current tenants to move your stuff in early, I would suggest calling brokers to see if they know of any options like the one I found myself in.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 am

Award status is verified. Getting closer and closer to August 29th!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 pm

They've received all my documents I mailed, but I still show conditional. Maybe they're going by alphabetical order. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:The apartment search is killing me... my fiance and I are still in undergrad and both live at home with parents because we're saving for our wedding, so we have no references or old landlords or anything. Not knowing where he will be working after graduation doesn't help matters because right now we don't make very much and most places have been asking for paystubs and such. It's so frustrating because we know the money for rent will be there, but loans don't count for income :x

How are you guys finding apartments?

Most landlords will allow you to have a parent co-sign on a lease. I had a lot of friends who had to have parents co-sign and it wasn't a problem with any of the rental agencies.

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Just finished my first year at BC Law... Let me know if you guys have any of questions. Good luck to all next year!

spencer1888

New

Post by spencer1888 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:05 pm

caligirl07 wrote:Just finished my first year at BC Law... Let me know if you guys have any of questions. Good luck to all next year!
Never hurts to hear another perspective I suppose... how's BC doing with regard to big law? What's the general sentiment among your class, rising 3Ls?

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:35 pm

spencer1888 wrote:
caligirl07 wrote:Just finished my first year at BC Law... Let me know if you guys have any of questions. Good luck to all next year!
Never hurts to hear another perspective I suppose... how's BC doing with regard to big law? What's the general sentiment among your class, rising 3Ls?
I'll be in a better position to answer this in a couple months after OCI (on campus interviews), but I think it's as good as can be expected for the area. BC has a wonderful career services office and i've been very happy. We only have about 60 big firms that are participating in OCI this year, but i'm not sure how that stacks up to other schools in the area. For big law it really comes down to grades and being able to interview well (read: having a personality and not coming off to arrogant/smug).

Paying jobs for 1L summer are VERY slim. Most people either do work/study (not sure how it works, but you get $400 a week or something) or get a PILF stipend (if you want to do public interest work you'll get to know PILF very well).

Most of the people I know at BC are pretty happy. Everyone is really helpful and I can't tell you how many times I was a couple minutes late to class (or missed class all together) and a random classmate would email me his/her notes. Just try to enjoy your first year, work hard and try not to get caught up in the drama.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smiley

Bronze

Post by smiley » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm off to NYC and looking for someone to take over my room in a 2 bedroom apartment. It's in Brighton, right on the B line at the Washington St stop. It's three stops on the T to BC, where you take your little shuttle to the law campus. The apartment is about 900 sf, and the room is a really nice size with three big windows and good light. It's only $750 per month, which you'll figure out soon is really great. Also fantastic is that you don't have to find a roommate, one comes supplied. He's a 22 year old recent grad from Kansas, starting work at Harvard in August. You'll both be moving in around the same time, so you can set up the place together. Move in date is negotiable from mid August to September 1

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 am

smiley wrote:Hey guys, I'm off to NYC and looking for someone to take over my room in a 2 bedroom apartment. It's in Brighton, right on the B line at the Washington St stop. It's three stops on the T to BC, where you take your little shuttle to the law campus. The apartment is about 900 sf, and the room is a really nice size with three big windows and good light. It's only $750 per month, which you'll figure out soon is really great. Also fantastic is that you don't have to find a roommate, one comes supplied. He's a 22 year old recent grad from Kansas, starting work at Harvard in August. You'll both be moving in around the same time, so you can set up the place together. Move in date is negotiable from mid August to September 1
No connection to Smiley, but this is a great area to live (no vouching for the roommate though), especially for students w/o cars that need to commute to the law school campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”