GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)

Platinum

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by 02122015 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Marionberry wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:I just discovered the various apartments at Pentagon city, some of which are directly on top of the metro station. I mean, living on the metro with a 12 minute train ride to the Gallery place station wouldnt be too much longer of a commute than I would be looking at living in the district, right?

I appreciate you guys humoring me with these probably redundant and ill conceived questions, it's just kind of frustrating trying to find a place to live from halfway across the country. I will be able to visit when I come for ASW, though.
I know which apartments you are talking about-I lived in the area a couple summers ago for an internship. The area is very nice and there are grocery stores, Costco, and a mall nearby (the mall is right next to the metro stop), but from what I remember many of the apartments were pretty expensive. Again, though, they were pretty nice ones. The metro is extremely convenient as well. Just remember, though, that you do not want to get stuck out in the district late at night on weekdays as the metro stops running between 11 and 12.
Thanks. I realized not too long after posting that that those apartments are not much less expensive than those right by the school at 425 Mass and Mass court, the Meridian, etc. It may be worth it for the first year at least to shell out the extra dough for one of those places right by the school. Does anyone know if parking is extra at those apartment complexes? The websites list garage parking as an amenity, but they don't say whether or not it is free. I'm guess it's probably not, but that would be great.

Relatively speaking, is that neighborhood (400-500 Mass) pretty safe?
I would be surprised if parking was free. I wouldn't even bring a car to DC unless I really needed one.
The neighborhood seems fine enough. I see panhandlers over there (all over town, really) but haven't ran into other troubles.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Also a current 1L. Saw MSPeast in class today.
I love it here at GULC. I was very excited before I came and it's actually even better than I thought it would be.

As for housing, I live in Southwest and have a pretty easy time getting to school, it takes about 20 minutes (bus ride plus walk) or I can walk to two metro stations. The area is safe, but its all condo buildings. Not a lot of restaurants or bars. I don't mind this, I like quiet, but it might be a problem for some. We do have a brand new Safeway right at the Waterfront station that I just love. In the spring and summer I walk to school. It's about 30 minutes and very scenic.
Tons of 1Ls (and 2 and 3) live in 400 Mass and Meridian. The buildings are nice and I visit often. Lots also live in the complexes north of Union Station - Senate Square and the like. I don't much like the neighborhood, but the apartments are very very nice.

There's parking at school. 7.50 for the day, its free after 6 pm and on weekends.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 pm

volsi wrote:Also a current 1L. Saw MSPeast in class today.
I love it here at GULC. I was very excited before I came and it's actually even better than I thought it would be.

As for housing, I live in Southwest and have a pretty easy time getting to school, it takes about 20 minutes (bus ride plus walk) or I can walk to two metro stations. The area is safe, but its all condo buildings. Not a lot of restaurants or bars. I don't mind this, I like quiet, but it might be a problem for some. We do have a brand new Safeway right at the Waterfront station that I just love. In the spring and summer I walk to school. It's about 30 minutes and very scenic.
Tons of 1Ls (and 2 and 3) live in 400 Mass and Meridian. The buildings are nice and I visit often. Lots also live in the complexes north of Union Station - Senate Square and the like. I don't much like the neighborhood, but the apartments are very very nice.

There's parking at school. 7.50 for the day, its free after 6 pm and on weekends.
This is interesting to me, I guess I wasn't aware of parking at the school. Any idea how long it takes people to drive in from Arlington? I know it's not a lot way, distance wise, but is traffic bad enough that driving from NOVA still takes a while? I think we will probably still live in the district my first year, but this could make living somewhere not on the metro line a real possibility.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Marionberry wrote:
volsi wrote:Also a current 1L. Saw MSPeast in class today.

This is interesting to me, I guess I wasn't aware of parking at the school. Any idea how long it takes people to drive in from Arlington? I know it's not a lot way, distance wise, but is traffic bad enough that driving from NOVA still takes a while? I think we will probably still live in the district my first year, but this could make living somewhere not on the metro line a real possibility.
DC traffic is notoriously bad, although the worst of it is usually limited to rush hour.

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:24 pm

tuition for out of state is ~45k right? Has anyone heard if GULC intends on raising tuition over the next couple years?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:tuition for out of state is ~45k right? Has anyone heard if GULC intends on raising tuition over the next couple years?
It's a private school, tuition is the same for everybody. And I haven't heard anything about tuition hikes.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Last edited by Perch on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jafields

New

Post by jafields » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Not sure, Perch- I know it took several weeks for my answer to arrive from the time my application was complete. I'm sure the admissions team is even busier now. I would give it another week. Good luck!

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 pm

tagged. For people looking for housing, a friend suggested padmapper.com (I haven't used it, just looked at it, it seems pretty useful to me). Thought I would pass it along. Also, when I worked in DC after my freshman year of college (on 16th and K), I lived in Cabin John. It was a huge hassle that I had to take a bus to the Bethesda metro to get to work, but the metro ride from Bethesda (red line) was not bad at all, and I spent time with coworkers (my age or in grad school) who lived in Adams Morgan often. Anyway, I'm sure people who live in DC now know more than me, but thought I would pass my thoughts along.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:10 pm

I live in a row house in capitol hill (on the other side of union station from gulc) with two other roommates and I love it, so if anyone has questions about finding housing in that area i'd be happy to answer them. It takes me 10-15 minutes to walk to gulc (where i'll probably be starting this fall!)

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I live in a row house in capitol hill (on the other side of union station from gulc) with two other roommates and I love it, so if anyone has questions about finding housing in that area i'd be happy to answer them. It takes me 10-15 minutes to walk to gulc (where i'll probably be starting this fall!)
I've noticed that you're a pretty big GULC fan, can I ask why you're choosing it over, say, NU? Living near it what has your exposure to it been, can you provide any meaningful insights into it?

Anyone else 100% committed to the GULc class of 2014?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Marionberry wrote:I've noticed that you're a pretty big GULC fan, can I ask why you're choosing it over, say, NU? Living near it what has your exposure to it been, can you provide any meaningful insights into it?

Anyone else 100% committed to the GULc class of 2014?
I am a big fan!

I haven't been that exposed to the law school until this cycle, but I have friends from work in the night program and they have done well and are enjoying their time there. I'm fortunate enough to have a flexible job and I applied to gulc for the part-time program, so if I go to gulc I will be staying at my job and I won't have to take out much money in loans (that being the primary driving factor between georgetown and anywhere else I would go $200,000+ in debt).

More personally, I love DC. I grew up here and I want to work here after law school. I think DC an amazing city full of interesting people and many different opportunities. I really can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else (although i would appreciate a nicer climate!) :)

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 pm

I work at GULC and live in Arlington, the metro commute is extremely easy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

okfine

New

Post by okfine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Got my letter Friday! I applied ED, so I'm officially headed to DC in August. I'm really excited!

Big game against UConn Wednesday, too....

okfine

New

Post by okfine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Anyone else headed to DC March 24 for the ASW? And are there any other non-traditional students out there?

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi everyone!

Have you guys been able to find the Yellow Form? : ) Want to send it asap. Thanks!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Does anyone know what the fitness center membership rates are for spouses? It's not posted online.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 pm

santoinettea wrote:Hi everyone!

Have you guys been able to find the Yellow Form? : ) Want to send it asap. Thanks!
From doing all this stuff last year, I can tell you the forms will sometimes take a bit to come online. When they do, they are visibly linked from the admitted students website. I think the Yellow was up around mid march last year, and the blue around late may?

But this is from the girl who hasn't done her fafsa OR tax return yet, so my memory may be fuzzy.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:43 pm

A yelp review of GULC:
I attended from 2004-2007, just after they completed the brand new athletic center. As someone who spent more time playing pickup hoops than attending class, I can vouch for the phenomenal facilities. If you are looking for a place to earn a JD while staying in top shape, you'd have a hard time doing better than GULC.

Another important draw is Georgetown's alternate first-year curriculum ("Curriculum B" or "Section 3"), an interdisciplinary approach to introductory subjects. While I wasn't a member of Section 3 - the higher reading load intimidated me - I had many friends who called it the best part of their experiences at Georgetown. Section 3 was also home to many members of the Georgetown Gilbert and Sullivan Society, or "The only theater group with its own law school."

GGSS is one of GULC's student organizations. It has been putting on plays and musicals for over 35 years, driven by current students, alumni, and community members. Were it not for GGSS, I may not have made it to graduation.

GULC is, no doubt, very expensive. I expect my grandchildren to be paying off my loans (I, as did about 30% of my classmates, chose not to work at a law firm, so the financial benefits of a legal education are not currently coming my way). GULC is also a Catholic school, so there have been funding problems for students who take internships related to reproductive rights (i.e. abortion issues, etc.) It is also worth noting that GULC is not in Georgetown, but actually between Chinatown and Union Station, blocks from the US Capital. While this neighborhood certainly has character, it lacks the charm of Georgetown proper.
I hope there's a lot of people like this in the class of 2014.

bgc123

New

Post by bgc123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Marionberry, I called the fitness center last weekend to ask about the rate for spouses. I'm pretty sure the answer was $65/semester, though it could have been $65/year. Either way, it wasn't anything outlandish.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am

bgc123 wrote:Marionberry, I called the fitness center last weekend to ask about the rate for spouses. I'm pretty sure the answer was $65/semester, though it could have been $65/year. Either way, it wasn't anything outlandish.
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, even if it's per semester that's still very cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:12 am

Marionberry wrote:
bgc123 wrote:Marionberry, I called the fitness center last weekend to ask about the rate for spouses. I'm pretty sure the answer was $65/semester, though it could have been $65/year. Either way, it wasn't anything outlandish.
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, even if it's per semester that's still very cheap.
I've been using the hot tub lately. :)

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 am

MSPeast wrote: I've been using the hot tub lately. :)
for real? There's a hot tub? That's pretty sweet.

runrunrun

New

Post by runrunrun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I haven't really shopped around for housing - but is it generally cheaper to stay off campus than on campus? I imagine it's comparable - especially considering the 9 month occupancy agreement instead of 12 month, included internet, tv, utilities, etc. Not to mention the proximity is a big bonus.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Who all has received money offers so far?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”