GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
azure55

New

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by azure55 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:32 pm

MSPeast wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:
ajcollege wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:Anyone else in Section 2 enjoying the fact that the Spring schedule includes a non-stop block of Tuesday/Thursday classes from 9 AM to 5:30PM? :shock:
Another section 2 person here. That's not how I read it: CivPro from 10-12, then a gap until 1:20 on one day, and 3:30 on the other day. Looks like LRW only meets once a week.
You're right. I misread the schedule, thank god.

In other news, I heard from some current students that they tend to group sections in a secret, non-random order, e.g., Section 1 last year was the gunner section. Fact/fiction?
Usually sections develop reputations, but except for Curriculum B and the evening program, I think it is all just coincidental, or at least shaped by the type of professors people get for the fall semester.
Section 2 has all the global law scholars, I think. But I believe that’s for practical scheduling purposes, rather than stacking the deck.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:06 pm

azure55 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:
In other news, I heard from some current students that they tend to group sections in a secret, non-random order, e.g., Section 1 last year was the gunner section. Fact/fiction?
Usually sections develop reputations, but except for Curriculum B and the evening program, I think it is all just coincidental, or at least shaped by the type of professors people get for the fall semester.
Section 2 has all the global law scholars, I think. But I believe that’s for practical scheduling purposes, rather than stacking the deck.
Right, and this didn't really make much of a difference this year as far as I could tell. This only really has two impacts:
- The international law spring electives tend to be a bit §2-heavy (and the other electives, naturally, less so)
- Lots of your friends will be spending their 1L summers in Europe and Africa, etc.

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:16 pm

yay im in section 3 too! im surprised that there were apparently that many people that signed up for it

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:40 pm

almostfamous wrote:yay im in section 3 too! im surprised that there were apparently that many people that signed up for it
It usually fills up.

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Hey all,

I'm a rising 2L having a lazy lazy Saturday night- if you guys have any questions I would be happy to do my best with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:59 pm

wackadoodle wrote:Hey all,

I'm a rising 2L having a lazy lazy Saturday night- if you guys have any questions I would be happy to do my best with them.
How hard is 1L year? Is it really as bad as they say, especially if someone comes from a very rigourous undergrad?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Got a couple of questions as a potential transfer:
1) Where do most of the 2L's live? My only "must have" is that I have to have my car. I know DC isn't particularly car friendly, but I just have a personal attachment to it (I'm a suburban girl and always will be :lol:). I don't plan to drive to school, I just want it for things like grocery shopping and stuff. Also, what are some good resources for transfer to find housing and roommates this late in the game (especially since I won't have permanently decided until the end of July)?

2) Do you know anyone who has participated in the theater group? I used to do school/community theater like it was my job, so I think it would be cool to get back to it :lol:. If not, what are some of the other more popular student groups? I did softball at my 1L school, so I'm really looking for things that are more "fun and social" than "networking".

3) What are the thoughts on OCS so far? I watched some of the presentations online and they seemed awfully impressive and the information is more thorough than I expected, but I'm curious if the students feel like it was just a good show or if they're for real. Also, are any of the people better than others? I'm going to meet with someone next week about my OCI prep and to get some transfer stats (though not my assigned advisor due to scheduling). The only reason I ask is because at my current school, some of the Career Services people are significantly better than others.

Thanks for offering to answer questions :).

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks! How is the food on campus? How expensive is it?

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:03 pm

masterthearts wrote:

How hard is 1L year? Is it really as bad as they say, especially if someone comes from a very rigourous undergrad?

I didn't find it to be so bad until the 5-6 weeks before finals. The exception may be the first few weeks when you are still getting a sense of how to read a case. You definitely still have time to go out on the weekends and probably during the week if you work efficiently. I never missed watching football on a Sunday! That said it is more difficult than undergrad (in my opinion) just because the concepts have to "click" which isn't necessarily directly correlated with how much you work. In undergrad I feel like there is much more of a direct link between how hard you work and how much you learn-whereas 1L you can definitely study 24/7 and still not understand things. But don't be scared- just accept that you may have to try several different strategies to see what works for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:24 pm

keg411 wrote:

Got a couple of questions as a potential transfer:
1) Where do most of the 2L's live? My only "must have" is that I have to have my car. I know DC isn't particularly car friendly, but I just have a personal attachment to it (I'm a suburban girl and always will be :lol:). I don't plan to drive to school, I just want it for things like grocery shopping and stuff. Also, what are some good resources for transfer to find housing and roommates this late in the game (especially since I won't have permanently decided until the end of July)?

2) Do you know anyone who has participated in the theater group? I used to do school/community theater like it was my job, so I think it would be cool to get back to it :lol:. If not, what are some of the other more popular student groups? I did softball at my 1L school, so I'm really looking for things that are more "fun and social" than "networking".

3) What are the thoughts on OCS so far? I watched some of the presentations online and they seemed awfully impressive and the information is more thorough than I expected, but I'm curious if the students feel like it was just a good show or if they're for real. Also, are any of the people better than others? I'm going to meet with someone next week about my OCI prep and to get some transfer stats (though not my assigned advisor due to scheduling). The only reason I ask is because at my current school, some of the Career Services people are significantly better than others.

Thanks for offering to answer questions :).

1) Most students live in Chinatown/Penn Quarter, Capitol Hill/H Street area, Columbia Heights, and slightly less in the dupont area. It would be really hard to have a car China/Penn Quarter/Dupont but in the capitol hill/Hstreet/columbia heights neighborhoods you could probably find street parking. Most buildings in the denser areas will offer parking but it costs a ton of money. Everyone I know, myself included, found their housing on craigslist but I feel like GULC might have some message boards or something somewhere. There are so many young professionals that not living with students isn't really that bad. If you do decide to come there are some georgetown facebook groups that might be a good place to look.

2) I know there is a Gilbert & Sullivan (is that right??) society/group and they put on plays that are really popular though I've never been to them. I think they did 2 last year and got really good reviews. There's a wine club that many people go to and I'm sure there are sports though I haven't played. DC is also full of group sports teams and alumni teams from various undergrads. Generally though people are very social and there are tons of ways to get involved from a purely social standpoint.

3) I think our career services office is pretty good actually though I suppose I won't really know until after OCI. I feel like they give us a fair amount of information but I really have nothing to compare it to. It seems like the whole week will be pretty intense and there are definitely lots of employers coming. I guess overall I am happy with them but pre OCI I'm not really sure how much weight this opinion should hold.

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 pm

henry flower wrote:

Thanks! How is the food on campus? How expensive is it?

The food is pretty good and not expensive though the hours aren't great on the weekends. Coffee is standard, I think sandwiches/entrees are like $5 and they are fairly good as far as campus food goes. The premade sushi/salads are a little more expensive I think. There is also a salad bar which is pretty standard and loose candy by the pound that is soo hard to stay away from! Around campus there aren't really an options in the evening unless you want to walk to union station or Chinatown, but there is a quiznos during the day. Only food gripe is that the starbucks next to campus closes at 7.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks again for answering questions. Do you use the fitness center often? Is it usually crowded?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks for the answers :).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:29 am

henry flower wrote:Thanks again for answering questions. Do you use the fitness center often? Is it usually crowded?

I generally tried to go most Mon-Thurs when I was on campus anyway but I think if you live on campus you would probably go on the weekends too. They have a decent amount of equipment- I've only had to wait for a treadmill maybe 3 or 4 times and only if I went between 4-7 pm (give or take).

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:11 pm

WD thanks for taking questions.

Do you have any GULC specific advice for us, or things that you wish someone had told you so you didn't have to figure them out on your own?

azure55

New

Post by azure55 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks for all the information.

I know it’s early, but does anyone know at what point we find out what texts, etc., we need to buy? I'm going to be traveling all summer and I know it's going to feel like class arrives in no time.

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:49 pm

clearfire wrote:WD thanks for taking questions.

Do you have any GULC specific advice for us, or things that you wish someone had told you so you didn't have to figure them out on your own?

Hmm nothing super important comes to mind- just make sure you take advantage of being in DC- I didn't and I totally regret it! Go to the SC, the capitol etc. Use your peer adviser as often as you want- I would email mine with silly questions all the time and it was really helpful- I think law school advice in general is the same as anywhere- make time for yourself, don't worry about a job until career services tells you to, keep up on the reading but don't go crazy with supplements, etc. Try and enjoy it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:50 pm

azure55 wrote:Thanks for all the information.

I know it’s early, but does anyone know at what point we find out what texts, etc., we need to buy? I'm going to be traveling all summer and I know it's going to feel like class arrives in no time.

I don't remember for sure but I feel like it was pretty late. I think almost everyone gets books during orientation week so I wouldn't stress about it any earlier.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 pm

OK, honest question here: how many of y'all have prepped/plan to prep before class starts?

I just bought Getting to Maybe, but no plans to do anything else.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Bought Getting to Maybe, plan on reading it sometime this month but that's about it for me too.

ej2053

New

Post by ej2053 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:OK, honest question here: how many of y'all have prepped/plan to prep before class starts?

I just bought Getting to Maybe, but no plans to do anything else.
Ditto. 'bought' being the operative word there. The 'read' will happen...eventually

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Getting to Maybe was helpful- But beyond that I don't know anyone who did prep- enjoy your summer guys- only a month left!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Anyone else get their bill today? I'm a bit confused by the price of the first semester, and I can't access my account because my stupid netid password doesnt work. Can anyone explain to me the $25k price tag for this semester? Will it be ~$20k next semester?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Says $23,432 for Tuition ( I could have swore tuition was only around 42-43??) and $1895 for student insurance. Is there anyway out of the insurance since I'm still on my parents?

Edit: I see there is a way to waive it on MyAccess but it isn't available for me to decline yet. And I was wrong that is the tuition each semester. So about 47k

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Says $23,432 for Tuition ( I could have swore tuition was only around 42-43??) and $1895 for student insurance. Is there anyway out of the insurance since I'm still on my parents?

Edit: I see there is a way to waive it on MyAccess but it isn't available for me to decline yet.

Okay, this is helpful. I'm on my wife's insurance, so I won't need that either. That does seem a little high for tuition, I was thinking it was in the area of 45.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”