GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
santoinettea

Bronze

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by santoinettea » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 pm

I wish I could have attended the ASW. Any highlights? : )

Also, I think I'll be living in Gewirz next year. I'm so looking forward to this!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:Are any of you guys do any BJJ/Judo/Submissions Wrestling? I'm excited to move to a part of the country that has such a huge bjj community and a lot of good schools Team Lloyd Irvin, Ryan Hall, etcetera but i'm worried about having time to train (school comes first) and having transportation. Do you know if GULC's fitness center offers any classes/if there are any clubs?
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/fitness/

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 pm

santoinettea wrote:I wish I could have attended the ASW. Any highlights? : )

Also, I think I'll be living in Gewirz next year. I'm so looking forward to this!
Dean Cornblatt was wearing a jacket from one suit and pants from another. It inspired confidence. :D

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Marionberry wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I wish I could have attended the ASW. Any highlights? : )

Dean Cornblatt was wearing a jacket from one suit and pants from another. It inspired confidence. :D
Haha! Well, that's it, I am sold. Can't beat Administration like that. : )

savvyradish

New

Post by savvyradish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:12 pm

After a few months of soul searching, I'll be sending in my deposit next week!

Anybody thinking about Section 3?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okfine

New

Post by okfine » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm leaning toward section 3. From what I've found, it has more reading, but that reading is also more interesting. The guy who had done section 3 on our student panel at ASW spoke very highly of it, and said there was a lot of policy, politics and theory.

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:18 pm

After much see-sawing, I think I've settled on GULC as my final choice. Hooray! I am so pumped to come live and study in DC.

Amhernan

New

Post by Amhernan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey all- Just sent in my deposit today and will be visiting GULC later on this week! :D Very excited to start in the fall and wondering whether most 1Ls plan on living on or off campus?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi friends! Just sent my deposit in after much debate with myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

harryminorhood

New

Post by harryminorhood » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I just sent my deposit in as well!

Anyone hear any anecdotal evidence about how hard it will be to get on campus housing? The lottery is supposed to be May 6th.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:52 pm

harryminorhood wrote:I just sent my deposit in as well!

Anyone hear any anecdotal evidence about how hard it will be to get on campus housing? The lottery is supposed to be May 6th.
Gewirz is supposedly available to all those who want it, though I don't know if everyone gets their preferred floorplan.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 am

Is everyone else still showing "direct loan entrance counseling" as an outstanding requirement? I completed mine 2 1/2 weeks ago...

Also, anyone looking for a roommate? If so, please PM me! I'm neat and really easygoing. I'm a little older than the average GULC student (graduated in 2004), and I won't be living on campus because I have two (very well-behaved) kittens.

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

henry flower wrote:Also, anyone looking for a roommate? If so, please PM me! I'm neat and really easygoing. I'm a little older than the average GULC student (graduated in 2004), and I won't be living on campus because I have two (very well-behaved) kittens.
Yay for kittens! I'm moving with my partner, a puppy and two cats--a regular menagerie.

Is anyone planning to live a little farther out and commute? I'm considering the Takoma area, but I don't know DC very well and likely won't have a chance to visit for apartment-hunting. Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
henry flower wrote:Also, anyone looking for a roommate? If so, please PM me! I'm neat and really easygoing. I'm a little older than the average GULC student (graduated in 2004), and I won't be living on campus because I have two (very well-behaved) kittens.
Yay for kittens! I'm moving with my partner, a puppy and two cats--a regular menagerie.

Is anyone planning to live a little farther out and commute? I'm considering the Takoma area, but I don't know DC very well and likely won't have a chance to visit for apartment-hunting. Thoughts?
Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Marionberry wrote:Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, VA is out for me because of their lack of protection for same-sex relationships--a serious bummer since I have a lot of family in Arlington. Thanks for pointing me toward the C/O 2014 group, I'll be sure to join!

feyonce

New

Post by feyonce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Finally made my decision and sent in my deposit -- it's official! Georgetown here I come!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, VA is out for me because of their lack of protection for same-sex relationships--a serious bummer since I have a lot of family in Arlington. Thanks for pointing me toward the C/O 2014 group, I'll be sure to join!
You better join Outlaw - we are huge and awesome. We're planning a bunch of stuff during orientation week, too. [Said as someone not actually on the board].

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:55 am

volsi wrote:[Said as someone not actually on the board].
Oh?
I've got my eye out for you, Volsi.

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 am

Siamsa414 wrote:
Logan circle is the resident DC gayborhood. Nice place to be, but it's pricey and probably unaffordable on a student budget unless you have support from a partner or parent. I like the green-line corridor (Columbia Heights & Mt. Pleasant, Petworth, Shaw/Howard). The neighborhoods have a lot more character and flavor, and the commute isn't terrible--about 25 minutes. Yes, there's a transfer from green to red, but if you've worked before it's not like commuting will be a surprise to you. You can also go the other way towards Capitol Hill, Eastern Market and H Street NE corridor, which is DC's equivalent to williamsburg in terms of hipsterdom. The latter is the least convenient from a public transportation perspective; it's also not the safest place either. But then again, there are few places in DC that are truly walled-off havens of suburban tranquility.

Takoma, to me, is just too far away--both from the school, but also from what you can enjoy of life in DC (when there's time, of course).

My opinion is that if you're moving here with a partner/spouse, you want to live in a place that will also make them happy. If you want a more suburban lifestyle, go to NoVA or Silver Spring/Takoma. If you like being close to the city, which is what I think is more fun and enjoyable, come closer in along the green or red lines. But whatever you do, don't live in Rockville.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:02 am

MSPeast wrote:
Oh?
What, am I misreporting? :P I just cant be on the board of two student orgs. I mean, feel free to issue corrections or whatever.

New students, don't mind us. We act like this in person, too.

Also, livingwise, I always want to pimp Southwest. Really residential, quiet, actually diverse, inexpensive, and 15-20 minutes to school.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:26 am

volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Oh?
What, am I misreporting? :P I just cant be on the board of two student orgs. I mean, feel free to issue corrections or whatever.
Haha, no that's fine, I'm just giving you trouble.
Also, livingwise, I always want to pimp Southwest. Really residential, quiet, actually diverse, inexpensive, and 15-20 minutes to school.
Hey, how long before school started did you look for apartments? I still haven't found a 2L place yet but I haven't really had time to look yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:00 am

I used a really nice realtor (they are just a $40 fee in DC, no month's rent or anything). I looked in early-mid July and moved in August 1.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Has anyone submitted the Gewirz application yet? My internet kind of sucks, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. When I clicked submit it took me back to the admitted students username/password page--I entered that I wanted to pay by credit card so I'm assuming it should have taken me to a payment page?

Also, is it due May 6th or May 1st? The deadline and deposit says May 6th if you don't have any special requests, but the application itself says May 1st.

naurae29

New

Post by naurae29 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:37 pm

RTFM wrote:Has anyone submitted the Gewirz application yet? My internet kind of sucks, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. When I clicked submit it took me back to the admitted students username/password page--I entered that I wanted to pay by credit card so I'm assuming it should have taken me to a payment page?

Also, is it due May 6th or May 1st? The deadline and deposit says May 6th if you don't have any special requests, but the application itself says May 1st.
i've had the admitted students website direct me back to the login page, and that usually means you've been inactive for too long. if you didn't get a payment page, things didn't go through. those deadlines seem pretty self-explanatory, no? if you don't have any special requests, you have until friday to submit your application.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 am

naurae29 wrote:
RTFM wrote:Has anyone submitted the Gewirz application yet? My internet kind of sucks, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. When I clicked submit it took me back to the admitted students username/password page--I entered that I wanted to pay by credit card so I'm assuming it should have taken me to a payment page?

i've had the admitted students website direct me back to the login page, and that usually means you've been inactive for too long. if you didn't get a payment page, things didn't go through. those deadlines seem pretty self-explanatory, no? if you don't have any special requests, you have until friday to submit your application.
Thanks for the reply.

The confusion with the dates was that the actual housing application says, "Your payment must be received by May 1, 2010 to enter the housing lottery," and then says, "Your housing application and $125 non-refundable application fee are due to the Office of Residence Life by May 1, 2011," without saying anything about May 6th. Since the first date has the wrong year, I'm assuming that they just messed up. Since May 6th is listed under "Important Admissions Deadlines," I'm hoping that date is correct.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”