GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
clearfire

Bronze

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by clearfire » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Says $23,432 for Tuition ( I could have swore tuition was only around 42-43??) and $1895 for student insurance. Is there anyway out of the insurance since I'm still on my parents?

Tuition is $46,800 or so, and it adds the $1895 health insurance fee (cost for the whole year).

And I believe you can get out of the health insurance you just have to prove to them you still have comparable or better outside coverage. Search the website or call them.

NewIvy

New

Post by NewIvy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Has anyone checked out the insurance yet or do any current students have any insight on it?

Dtrain777

New

Post by Dtrain777 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a rising 3L and my roommate and I live in a really nice apartment building less than a mile from school (usually about a 10 min walk - through Union Station if it's raining). We have a vacancy in our apartment and are possibly looking for a 3rd. If anyone is interested in living off campus here is the apartment complex's website: http://www.senatesquare.com/ Take a look at it and send me a PM if you are interested and I'll tell you a little about my roommate and myself.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 am

If anyone is curious, the guy answering the phones at at the IT department help desk is a world class dick. I asked where to send my form to reset my NetId password, and he just tells me to go online and find the instructions. The instructions don't indicate a mailing address, and it says if you have questions to call the help desk. I call the help desk with a question, and not only does he not answer it, but he acts like I'm being unreasonable for calling the help desk asking for help. Grrr....

Whiskeyjack

New

Post by Whiskeyjack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Looks like the survey to waive the school's health insurance coverage just got posted today. You can get to it through the Student tab on your MyAccess page. It is 12 basic questions about your current insurance coverage. Most of the answers are found on your insurance card, so be sure to have that handy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:37 pm

volsi wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
savvyradish wrote:Anybody else get their section assignments today?
No. Is everyone else able to log into MyAccess with their Netid?

Edit: I did get my section, section 4! I had to log on to the ASW to find that out, though.
Section 4 is the best. Abernathy is the man.
Whatevs - you know you were a section 3 wannabe the whole year...and for good reason!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm

NewIvy wrote:Has anyone checked out the insurance yet or do any current students have any insight on it?
It's pretty decent, especially if you use Georgetown clinics (such as the one in the Gewirz lower level).

It was nice when I was sick this year, not having to leave the building to go to the clinic! (Even if I did then have to walk to CVS in a snowstorm...)

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm

MSPeast wrote:
NewIvy wrote:Has anyone checked out the insurance yet or do any current students have any insight on it?
It's pretty decent, especially if you use Georgetown clinics (such as the one in the Gewirz lower level).

It was nice when I was sick this year, not having to leave the building to go to the clinic! (Even if I did then have to walk to CVS in a snowstorm...)
It was also nice when I got some freakish eye disease in the middle of finals, that was apparently caused by reading too much and staring at computer screens too much. :D Welcome to law school!

For real, though, the insurance plan is fine...and VERY cheap. A good deal overall if you can't still be on your parent's. I have lots of preexisting stuff, and have had many insurance plans, and I still found it to be good.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 pm

If anyone in Section 3 wants any guidance, please feel free to PM me. I found a great resource on these boards last year and she answered a lot of my questions. It was very useful.

My biggest advice: do NOT spend any time reading supplements now. They won't help. I tried to read Getting for Maybe...but it made no sense until I then read it mid-semester. I read part of Planet Law School, and most of Law School Confidential in the summer - but all they did was stress me out. GULC is an extremely comfy, helpful, accommodating, amazing place. Enjoy your freedom now, and utilize the resources the law school has when you get there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 pm

nowinGA wrote:If anyone in Section 3 wants any guidance, please feel free to IM me. I found a great resource on these boards last year and she answered a lot of my questions. It was very useful.

My biggest advice: do NOT spend any time reading supplements now. They won't help. I tried to read Getting for Maybe...but it made no sense until I then read it mid-semester. I read part of Planet Law School, and most of Law School Confidential in the summer - but all they did was stress me out. GULC is an extremely comfy, helpful, accommodating, amazing place. Enjoy your freedom now, and utilize the resources the law school has when you get there.
LOOK WHO IT IS. :P
Here is my personal (retrospective) take on supps. I was in Curriculum A, so if you're in section 3 this won't apply to you (AFAIK). If I could do 1L again, I would read supps before starting, but only lightly. Classes are most important, but I think having a very basic overview of the subject matter would help you participate in class discussions. This year I felt like I was a bit behind my sectionmates in terms of prior knowledge and I felt a bit intimidated and didn't participate much... and I can not stress enough that participation will indirectly help your grades because participation is a great learning tool. But, do not spend this summer gunning by any means.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 pm

MSPeast wrote:
nowinGA wrote:If anyone in Section 3 wants any guidance, please feel free to IM me. I found a great resource on these boards last year and she answered a lot of my questions. It was very useful.

LOOK WHO IT IS. :P
Here is my personal (retrospective) take on supps. I was in Curriculum A, so if you're in section 3 this won't apply to you (AFAIK). If I could do 1L again, I would read supps before starting, but only lightly. Classes are most important, but I think having a very basic overview of the subject matter would help you participate in class discussions. This year I felt like I was a bit behind my sectionmates in terms of prior knowledge and I felt a bit intimidated and didn't participate much... and I can not stress enough that participation will indirectly help your grades because participation is a great learning tool. But, do not spend this summer gunning by any means.
To clarify: I know MSP makes it sounds like Section 3 doesn't learn the law...but that is not true. We learn all of the same stuff. Just from a different (and, to me, more relevant and realistic) perspective. So, if you are to follow his logic, supplements would help a Section 3 person as much as the next. I just felt it was better to wait and figure out what this crazy thing called "the law" is before trying to learn it alone. I did try. It didn't help. Just be open in class and seek help when you need it. Tutors are free, there is so much support...

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh, section 3 definitely learns the law; sorry to give the wrong impression. I'm just saying that I can't attest to the applicability of traditional supps to the hybridized classes.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:18 am

MSPeast wrote:Oh, section 3 definitely learns the law; sorry to give the wrong impression. I'm just saying that I can't attest to the applicability of traditional supps to the hybridized classes.
Good point. Great point. They worked OK in everything except for DemCo, I think. (During the semester). That is, I used them a wee bit in Bargain, Property, Legal Process... (it was a very wee bit for me). But MSP makes a good point for the section 3ers...(and you have some different profs, so it's tough to give advice)...in that sometimes they just don't apply. You are kinda on your own in GovPro and Justice...But my process prof actually put the Civ Pro E&E on the syllabus...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:50 am

I withdrew yesterday, opening up a spot in Section 3. I hope one of you who wants it gets it!

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:14 am

MSP and GA do you have any GULC specific advice for us 0Ls, I am curriculum A, though I think they changed the sections around a bit for this year.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:08 pm

clearfire wrote:MSP and GA do you have any GULC specific advice for us 0Ls, I am curriculum A, though I think they changed the sections around a bit for this year.
Can you be specific? Advice with regard to...?

And yes, they added a section (5), making them all smaller which can only be a good thing.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:32 pm

NowinGA, did you have Pillard? She used to be Curriculum B, right? If so, what did you think? Any tips/suggestions? I have her for CivPro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 pm

nowinGA wrote:Can you be specific? Advice with regard to...?
So I have read many threads on how to do well in LS, OCI, etc. I guess I am wondering if there is anything you would tell an incoming 1L that you feel is important and isn't necessarily general advice that would have been found in a general advice thread. I was going to ask about professors but you were curriculum B and I understand if you guys wouldn't want to discuss specific profs on here. Sorry that I can't really be more specific, is there anything you wish you had known when you started that you had to figure out on your own?

Thanks for helping us out.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:51 pm

henry flower wrote:NowinGA, did you have Pillard? She used to be Curriculum B, right? If so, what did you think? Any tips/suggestions? I have her for CivPro.
Yup. It's kinda hard to compare because our CivPro (legal process) was 5 credits of the course of the whole year (instead of 3-4 credits all at once - or whatever it is for you guys). So our reading assignments were very reasonable and sometimes even short...but that might change when it is more credits at once. I didn't love her much at first - but she completely grew on me. But, it took the whole first semester. She tends to be a wee bit flaky and not completely organized...but if you can just kinda go with it, she's great. In the end I really liked her. She is funny, kinda sassy...she keeps it real, and she has an amazing resume.

So, not sure what your experience be since it took me a whole semester to warm up to her! She is the one who puts the Glannon E&E on the syllabus as recommended reading. If you are itching to learn about the Erie doctrine, you could just buy that one right now.

Anyway, she's very accomplished, kinda fun...and a bit quirky. She cold calls and doesn't allow you to pass. Also, she was very close to banning laptops this year but we talked her out of it - not sure if she will consider doing that again.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 pm

clearfire wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Can you be specific? Advice with regard to...?
So I have read many threads on how to do well in LS, OCI, etc. I guess I am wondering if there is anything you would tell an incoming 1L that you feel is important and isn't necessarily general advice that would have been found in a general advice thread. I was going to ask about professors but you were curriculum B and I understand if you guys wouldn't want to discuss specific profs on here. Sorry that I can't really be more specific, is there anything you wish you had known when you started that you had to figure out on your own?

Thanks for helping us out.
Honestly, the best thing I can say (that is very cliche, but true) is to not spend time worrying about it right now. I did. I read 1L, I watched The Paper Chase, I read parts of all these law school books and it freaked me out a bit. But you simply can't know or prepare for what it's like until you are in it, IMO. So if you are preparing to do anything right now, prepare yourself to work hard and be focused. Do fun reading right now...and soak up your free time.

GULC is an extraordinarily welcoming and and wonderful place. Everyone from the security guards, to the people in the cafeteria, to the administrators, OCS counselors, etc., etc. are committed to help you. BUT, you have to be proactive. Use everything that is there. Property (in Time) freaked me out in the beginning so I went to the Dean of Students and within a couple of days I had a tutor. For free. Just be prepared to be proactive. Don't expect people to do the work for you - but know that there are ample resources to get help if you need it.

I realize this is really generic, but it's all true.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:04 pm

nowinGA wrote:
henry flower wrote:NowinGA, did you have Pillard? She used to be Curriculum B, right? If so, what did you think? Any tips/suggestions? I have her for CivPro.
Yup. It's kinda hard to compare because our CivPro (legal process) was 5 credits of the course of the whole year (instead of 3-4 credits all at once - or whatever it is for you guys). So our reading assignments were very reasonable and sometimes even short...but that might change when it is more credits at once. I didn't love her much at first - but she completely grew on me. But, it took the whole first semester. She tends to be a wee bit flaky and not completely organized...but if you can just kinda go with it, she's great. In the end I really liked her. She is funny, kinda sassy...she keeps it real, and she has an amazing resume.

So, not sure what your experience be since it took me a whole semester to warm up to her! She is the one who puts the Glannon E&E on the syllabus as recommended reading. If you are itching to learn about the Erie doctrine, you could just buy that one right now.

Anyway, she's very accomplished, kinda fun...and a bit quirky. She cold calls and doesn't allow you to pass. Also, she was very close to banning laptops this year but we talked her out of it - not sure if she will consider doing that again.
Cool, thanks! I'm sure the experience will be a little different with a 4 credit, one semester class, but a lot of it will most likely be applicable. Did it seem like she was interested in or focused more on a specific area? What was her exam like?

I really really hope she doesn't ban laptops.... my handwriting is SO BAD. Was there a problem with students gchatting and being inattentive, or was it motivated by something else? Was she talking about banning it for the exam too?

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm

henry flower wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

Cool, thanks! I'm sure the experience will be a little different with a 4 credit, one semester class, but a lot of it will most likely be applicable. Did it seem like she was interested in or focused more on a specific area? What was her exam like?

I really really hope she doesn't ban laptops.... my handwriting is SO BAD. Was there a problem with students gchatting and being inattentive, or was it motivated by something else? Was she talking about banning it for the exam too?

They can't ban it for the exam. I don't know why she wanted to - we discussed it day one...people gchat and are inattentive in every single law school class! So that's just a given. I think she just wanted people more focused. I only had one prof (Jodi Short) who was a no-laptop prof (though I know some friends in other sections had more than that). My handwriting is illegible, so it was tough. I think a lot of them will allow there to be a "scribe" each class who takes notes on the laptop and then posts it on the class website for everyone. I basically took a few notes here and there and relied on those...

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:04 pm

nowinGA wrote:
henry flower wrote:

They can't ban it for the exam. I don't know why she wanted to - we discussed it day one...people gchat and are inattentive in every single law school class! So that's just a given. I think she just wanted people more focused. I only had one prof (Jodi Short) who was a no-laptop prof (though I know some friends in other sections had more than that). My handwriting is illegible, so it was tough. I think a lot of them will allow there to be a "scribe" each class who takes notes on the laptop and then posts it on the class website for everyone. I basically took a few notes here and there and relied on those...
+1 on everything NowinGA says. (except that I was a section 3 wannabe!) Also I'd like to add that me, MSPeast, NowinGA and starrydecicus all met here on TLS last year and we're all still friends!

Everyone gchats. Everyone. I had three profs ban laptops spring semester so I just handwrote everything. In retrospect, may not have been the best idea.

I spent last summer going to the beach, drinking and flying around the country to see my friends. I read getting to maybe and the NALP guide to legal specialities and that's it. and I was fine. The supplements wont make any sense before class starts, anyway. Take the summer off. Breathe!

I was curriculum A and I have a strong focus on commercial/corporate law (namely bankruptcy). Anyone who has an interest in joining the Corporate Law Association or doing biglaw can ask me whatever questions they'd like.

I've found OCS to be great, but you might have to shop counselors around. Everyone is amazingly supportive and friendly. The dean stops to talk to me at the cafeteria in the mornings (I get the 2 eggs, potatoes and sausage breakfast special almost every day. $2.60! can't beat that!). You can see other admins taking their kids to the daycare under Gewirz. It's a really awesome place.

I'd also recommend doing the pro-bono pledge. I might be all into embracing our corporate overlords, but I spent the year volunteering for Legal Counsel for the Elderly with AARP. Not only did I learn a lot, but I helped lots of old people make wills and stuff. It was really rewarding, a great break from all the studying you do 1L year, and you get special recognition at graduation

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:32 pm

volsi wrote: Take the summer off. Breathe!
Can't really stress this enough. I read most of Getting to Maybe and in all honesty the only good it did me was to help me feel more at ease entering law school. There isn't anything magic in the book that you can't infer in about twenty seconds when looking at any of the sample answers for past exams. Other than that I didn't do any law school preparation and I performed surprisingly well.
I've found OCS to be great, but you might have to shop counselors around.
I've met with 3 different counselors since starting at GULC and I have to say I have had mixed feelings about OCS overall. I have been far more impressed by OPICS. Of course, that could just be because I am more focused on government work. LRAP ftw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”