GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
clearfire

Bronze

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by clearfire » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:43 pm

volsi wrote:Anyone who has an interest in joining the Corporate Law Association or doing biglaw can ask me whatever questions they'd like.

I'd also recommend doing the pro-bono pledge.
What is the Corporate Law Association like? Has it helped you gain experience or network?

What kind of work are you doing this summer?

For the pro-bono pledge do you get to pick where you want to work?

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm

clearfire wrote:For the pro-bono pledge do you get to pick where you want to work?
From GULC's website:
What type of volunteer work counts towards the Pro Bono Pledge?
To count towards the Pledge, a student must engage in law-related volunteer work under the supervision of a licensed attorney or law faculty member which benefits under-served individuals, groups or causes. Also, the work must be performed while the student is enrolled in classes at Georgetown Law and cannot be for credit or compensation. (Summer internships do not qualify.) A more detailed listing of what specifically counts towards the Pledge can be found here. At the end of each semester or the completion of a project, each student must submit a time sheet with weekly totals of hours volunteered and the signature of his or her supervisor.

OPICS offers first year students the opportunity to volunteer with local legal service organizations with a minimal time commitment through the 1L Pro Bono Service Project. These projects are pre-approved for credit towards the Pro Bono Pledge. All upper level students are welcome to meet with Holly Eaton individually to find a placement that counts towards the Pledge. If you find a volunteer opportunity on your own, you should consult Holly to be sure it qualifies for credit under the Pro Bono Pledge.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks, I guess I could have gone and found that myself.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Question for any current students that might see :)

How much time is there, really, for clubs and activities during 1L? I was looking at the student orgs website, and a lot of stuff sounds interesting.

Do the clubs/activities take up as much time as they did in undergrad? Are they helpful for making connections and getting old notes/outlines?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:08 pm

nowinGA wrote:
clearfire wrote:MSP and GA do you have any GULC specific advice for us 0Ls, I am curriculum A, though I think they changed the sections around a bit for this year.
Can you be specific? Advice with regard to...?

And yes, they added a section (5), making them all smaller which can only be a good thing.
I'm in SEction 5, anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:26 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Question for any current students that might see :)

How much time is there, really, for clubs and activities during 1L?
I had a lot more free time than I was expecting during 1L. I was in two clubs and neither took up much of my time. A lunch meeting here and there but free lunch was provided. But if you ever have to make a choice between an additional club or putting a little more needed effort into grades then grades should always be priority numero uno.
Do the clubs/activities take up as much time as they did in undergrad?
I didn't really do anything but go to class in undergrad, so I'm not the best person to answer this.
Are they helpful for making connections and getting old notes/outlines?
There is an outline bank online so don't worry too much about finding those. They can be helpful as a supplement to writing your own outline, but I would HIGHLY recommend always writing your own outline. My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that clubs are only valuable as lines on a resume that can highlight your interest in a particular area. And that is really only effective for employment in government and nonprofit organizations.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 am

clearfire wrote:
volsi wrote:Anyone who has an interest in joining the Corporate Law Association or doing biglaw can ask me whatever questions they'd like.

I'd also recommend doing the pro-bono pledge.
What is the Corporate Law Association like? Has it helped you gain experience or network?

What kind of work are you doing this summer?

For the pro-bono pledge do you get to pick where you want to work?
CLA is great - we have a lot of positions available for resume filling (and we're open about that). I'm the "Director of Bankruptcy" for example. The main thing we do is host events about different corporate ... stuff. It's amazing for networking because you can reach out to a partner in a firm you'd like to work at and ask them to come speak at an event at Georgetown. They usually jump on that, and now you have a contact at that firm. Last semester we had a "How to be a summer associate" event with Dewey, and a few practice area subject lunches. We had a 30 person turnout for our Real Estate lunch, for instance, where we had two lawyers talk about what it is like to practice real estate law in DC. Pretty cool.

This summer I am interning for a judge at the Delaware bankruptcy court. I got to sit in on the Dodgers Bankruptcy first-days two weeks ago, and I'm finding the work incredibly rewarding. It's cementing my desire to do Corporate Bankruptcy/Restructuring in practice and I'm now building my resume around that.

There's plenty of time to clubs and activities, as long as you don't join them all. I do Outlaw and CLA, mostly, and I am fine time wise. And hey, free food!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Torvon wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:Question for any current students that might see :)

How much time is there, really, for clubs and activities during 1L?
I had a lot more free time than I was expecting during 1L. I was in two clubs and neither took up much of my time. A lunch meeting here and there but free lunch was provided. But if you ever have to make a choice between an additional club or putting a little more needed effort into grades then grades should always be priority numero uno.
Do the clubs/activities take up as much time as they did in undergrad?
I didn't really do anything but go to class in undergrad, so I'm not the best person to answer this.
Are they helpful for making connections and getting old notes/outlines?
There is an outline bank online so don't worry too much about finding those. They can be helpful as a supplement to writing your own outline, but I would HIGHLY recommend always writing your own outline. My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that clubs are only valuable as lines on a resume that can highlight your interest in a particular area. And that is really only effective for employment in government and nonprofit organizations.
Thanks! Very helpful response :D

NewIvy

New

Post by NewIvy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Where is everyone in the loan process right now?

I did my Blue Sheet, the Grad PLUS credit check, and signed my MPNs online last week, but there hasn't been any movement since. Just want to make sure I'm not the only one sitting around waiting for money with tuition due in less than two weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:28 pm

NewIvy wrote:Where is everyone in the loan process right now?
Have you checked the Georgetown "My Access" website? I finished all of the requirements a while ago but already have my loan information.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:20 pm

NewIvy wrote:Where is everyone in the loan process right now?

I did my Blue Sheet, the Grad PLUS credit check, and signed my MPNs online last week, but there hasn't been any movement since. Just want to make sure I'm not the only one sitting around waiting for money with tuition due in less than two weeks.
Do you mean waiting for the actual money or waiting for them to tell you how much you will be getting? If it's the former, that won't change until immediately before school starts. If it's the latter, double check myaccess to make sure it says you have completed everything you need and then check student accounts to see if the actual amount shows up.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I completed everything and just got loan approval last week. I have a few questions as well. Would really appreciate if anyone has the answers.

So, if funds don't get disbursed till start of class, does that mean we first pay tuition out of pocket and then get a refund in August? Or do we get a waiver till August and then pay?

Also, for some reason, I don't have a button to click to accept my loans on MyAccess. I see an empty space in the chart but nowhere to click to accept/reject. I'm using Chrome. Thoughts?

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:I completed everything and just got loan approval last week. I have a few questions as well. Would really appreciate if anyone has the answers.

So, if funds don't get disbursed till start of class, does that mean we first pay tuition out of pocket and then get a refund in August? Or do we get a waiver till August and then pay?

Also, for some reason, I don't have a button to click to accept my loans on MyAccess. I see an empty space in the chart but nowhere to click to accept/reject. I'm using Chrome. Thoughts?
You don't have to pay tuition out of pocket. Once you've met all the requirements (check MyAccess), a credit will appear on your Student Accounts page (also accessed through MyAccess) and will be applied to your tuition bill.

You never actually "accept" the loans through MyAccess. Once you've submitted the blue form and Financial Aid processes it, MyAccess will change to "Accept."

The whole process is pretty confusing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 pm

So I noticed that this semester's charges include insurance for the whole year, but financial aid isn't adjusted accordingly.... I was already a little worried about making ends meet, and having approx. $900 less for the semester makes me even more stressed. I wonder if financial aid will do any adjustments if requested?

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 pm

henry flower wrote:So I noticed that this semester's charges include insurance for the whole year, but financial aid isn't adjusted accordingly.... I was already a little worried about making ends meet, and having approx. $900 less for the semester makes me even more stressed. I wonder if financial aid will do any adjustments if requested?
I don't think they'll make adjustments to your disbursements, but you could ask. I do know they allow you to take an advance on your second semester loan so that you can get through the time between the first and second semester. You can advance up to $1500. Also, don't forget about the laptop reimbursement if you plan on buying one of those, but wait until you are within their time frame or they won't reimburse you. The max on that is $1800 and it still loan money, they don't just give to you, but I was buying a new laptop anyway and the loan helped me out a bunch.
Last edited by Torvon on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Torvon wrote:
henry flower wrote:So I noticed that this semester's charges include insurance for the whole year, but financial aid isn't adjusted accordingly.... I was already a little worried about making ends meet, and having approx. $900 less for the semester makes me even more stressed. I wonder if financial aid will do any adjustments if requested?
I don't think they'll make adjustments to your disbursements, but you could ask. I do know they allow you to take an advance on your second semester loan so that you can get through the time between the first and second semester. You can advance up to $1500. Also, don't forget about the laptop reimbursement if you plan on buying one of those, but wait until you are within their time frame or they won't reimburse you. The max on that is $1800.
Thanks! Do you know what the timeframe for the laptop is?

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 pm

henry flower wrote:
Torvon wrote:
I don't think they'll make adjustments to your disbursements, but you could ask. I do know they allow you to take an advance on your second semester loan so that you can get through the time between the first and second semester. You can advance up to $1500. Also, don't forget about the laptop reimbursement if you plan on buying one of those, but wait until you are within their time frame or they won't reimburse you. The max on that is $1800.
Thanks! Do you know what the timeframe for the laptop is?
I called them before I bought mine because I wanted to be sure I would qualify for the reimbursement. I bought mine on August 28, 2010 and it qualified, but I don't know exactly what the window is. I would call them to make sure before you buy it, but I know they were pretty lenient with me. The Budget Adjustment Request Authorization Form you have to fill out just says "during enrollment." Also, incase you missed my edit in the last post, the reimbursement is not free money, it's actually just an increase in the loan you receive so you will still be paying it back eventually. Just don't want to mislead anyone.

Also, for those interested you can request an increase in your loan amount if you pay more in rent than what they have allotted in the budget. You have to be careful though, because they will divide the total rent by the number of adults on the lease (even if it's a spouse) and use that as your monthly rent amount. I'm not advocating increasing your rent just to live in a nicer place, but if you are planning on taking advantage of the sweet LRAP (seriously awesome, make sure and read up on it) then it wouldn't really matter anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 pm

masterthearts wrote:I'm in SEction 5, anyone else?
Who is your Legal Research and Writing professor?

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Torvon wrote:
Last edited by henry flower on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:19 pm

henry flower wrote:
Torvon wrote:
Who is your Legal Research and Writing professor?
I'm in section 5 as well (Hi, masterhearts!). We won't know our LRW professor until registration, but it could either be Donahoe or Avalos. Familiar with either of them?

I'm also really curious about our other professors, if anyone has any experience or advice. Here's the line-up:

Fall:
Civil Procedure: Pillard
Contracts: Shelanski
LRW: Donahoe or Avalos
Torts: Feldman, Super, or Teitelbaum (this is our "small section" so we won't know until registration)

Spring:
Con Law: Katyal (really excited about this one!)
Criminal Justice: Binder
Property: Super

Also:
1) Any recommendations on the Spring elective?
2) Is Criminal Justice a procedure course? That's how the course description reads, basically.
3) Is the small section more intense than the other classes? Is it curved the same?

I know that's a lot. Thanks!

Teitelbaum and Super are both very nice, if a bit dry. Don't sit somewhere that it's easy to daydream/gchat. You think you won't, but you will! You can PM me if you have any specific questions. Everyone I know was happy with their spring elective except my friend who took the free speech one. Criminal Justice basically covers the 4th 5th & 6th Amendment though each professor has different focuses. The culture of the small section really depends on the professor. Some treat it the same as a large section, others don't- but I think in general it is far easier to ask questions in the small section.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 pm

henry flower wrote:I'm in section 5 as well (Hi, masterhearts!). We won't know our LRW professor until registration, but it could either be Donahoe or Avalos. Familiar with either of them?
Interesting. I was under the impression I was going to be in Section 5 LRW as a law fellow, but I am not assigned to either of those professors. I haven't heard anything about them.
1) Any recommendations on the Spring elective?
I took the Lawmaking elective. It was pretty interesting in class, but I think the reading would have been a little on the boring side (had I done any of it). I know that elective was more laid back compared to the required courses, and from what I hear all the electives were basically that way. For example, I only read a few pages over the course of the semester and still did well in the class.
2) Is Criminal Justice a procedure course? That's how the course description reads, basically.
No. There is a Criminal Procedure course that you can choose to take your 2L or 3L year. The Criminal Justice course is more an opportunity for your teacher to inform you on their opinion of the overall criminal justice system, how it has developed, and where it stands now (ie my professor is convinced our country is completely racist). I enjoyed the class, and the professor was intelligent.
3) Is the small section more intense than the other classes? Is it curved the same?
It is curved the same, yes. The curve is extremely generous. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "more intense," but it does leave more room for participation from each student. I don't recall ever volunteering information or answers in my small section class, but I was cold called more often. I was cold called probably 3-4 times in the small section class and 1 time on average in the bigger classes. In one I was called on more, but in two I wasn't cold called at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:44 am

henry flower wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:I completed everything and just got loan approval last week. I have a few questions as well. Would really appreciate if anyone has the answers.

You don't have to pay tuition out of pocket. Once you've met all the requirements (check MyAccess), a credit will appear on your Student Accounts page (also accessed through MyAccess) and will be applied to your tuition bill.

You never actually "accept" the loans through MyAccess. Once you've submitted the blue form and Financial Aid processes it, MyAccess will change to "Accept."

The whole process is pretty confusing.
THANK YOU! Now why didn't they just put that on the website? Would have saved me a lot of time/worry.

karovdwaller

New

Post by karovdwaller » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

nowinGA wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
NewIvy wrote:Has anyone checked out the insurance yet or do any current students have any insight on it?
It's pretty decent, especially if you use Georgetown clinics (such as the one in the Gewirz lower level).

It was nice when I was sick this year, not having to leave the building to go to the clinic! (Even if I did then have to walk to CVS in a snowstorm...)
It was also nice when I got some freakish eye disease in the middle of finals, that was apparently caused by reading too much and staring at computer screens too much. :D Welcome to law school!

For real, though, the insurance plan is fine...and VERY cheap. A good deal overall if you can't still be on your parent's. I have lots of preexisting stuff, and have had many insurance plans, and I still found it to be good.
For the most part, the insurance is fine. However, you (especially women) should know that it does not cover contraception. The insurance will only cover medical usage of contraception, not contraception for birth control purposes.
Depending on where you live and whether you are male or female, you can probably find better and cheaper if you're willing to do the research.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Did any current students bring a car registered out of state? It looks like DC requires you to buy a "reciprocity permit" and for students the cost is $338/year. Am I understanding the DC DMV website correctly?

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:24 pm

karovdwaller wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
NewIvy wrote:Has anyone checked out the insurance yet or do any current students have any insight on it?
It's pretty decent, especially if you use Georgetown clinics (such as the one in the Gewirz lower level).

It was nice when I was sick this year, not having to leave the building to go to the clinic! (Even if I did then have to walk to CVS in a snowstorm...)
It was also nice when I got some freakish eye disease in the middle of finals, that was apparently caused by reading too much and staring at computer screens too much. :D Welcome to law school!

For real, though, the insurance plan is fine...and VERY cheap. A good deal overall if you can't still be on your parent's. I have lots of preexisting stuff, and have had many insurance plans, and I still found it to be good.
For the most part, the insurance is fine. However, you (especially women) should know that it does not cover contraception. The insurance will only cover medical usage of contraception, not contraception for birth control purposes.
Depending on where you live and whether you are male or female, you can probably find better and cheaper if you're willing to do the research.
I am fairly certain you won't find cheaper. (Other than your parent's, spouses, etc., unless you want a huge deductible.) Unless you want something like nuvaring or an IUD, you will have no trouble getting contraception. While it is true that the insurance won't cover it, there are ample ways around it and the on-site doctors are more than willing. (I only stress this because everyone gave me this soundbite before starting, it freaked me out, and it ended up being no problem)...it is still annoying, and wrong that you have to go around it - and the student groups are continuously pressing the issue. But you should have no problem getting the pill.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”