Ohio State 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Credit

New

Re: Ohio State 2014

Post by Credit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Has anyone received info on setting up their ID accounts and email addresses? The admitted students site says that it would be coming shortly after confirmation of my deposit, and that was over a month ago.

Also, there's a few apartments I'm looking at in German Village. Can anyone with Columbus experience comment on what the commute from there to the school would be like, particularly during rush hour. I like the area, but I'm wondering if I should just go for the Short North area. Thanks.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Credit wrote:Has anyone received info on setting up their ID accounts and email addresses? The admitted students site says that it would be coming shortly after confirmation of my deposit, and that was over a month ago.

Also, there's a few apartments I'm looking at in German Village. Can anyone with Columbus experience comment on what the commute from there to the school would be like, particularly during rush hour. I like the area, but I'm wondering if I should just go for the Short North area. Thanks.
I live near German Village. It's about 10 minutes from my place without traffic and 15 with (taking 4th St up). It might take a little longer from German Village depending on how deep you are in it because of the brick roads. :) You'll probably be going the opposite direction of traffic during rush hour, though.

The commute from the Short North / Harrison West / Victorian Village would definitely be better, but it wouldn't be horrible from German Village.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 am

I lived in German Village for two years and my husband was a student at that time. The bus ride took him 30-45 minutes, sometimes longer :/ Driving is much faster, because you are going opposite most of the traffic.

German Village is a nice area, but I prefer being closer to the school (I'm in Victorian Village/Harrison West now). Also, German Village is significantly more expensive.

Also, to set up your online accounts you just go to https://acctmgt.service.ohio-state.edu/ and do it all there :)

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Football tickets secured! :)

Credit

New

Post by Credit » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 am

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it as I have spent very little time in Columbus. Are there any other neighborhoods that you think really standout that I should consider?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 am

Credit wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it as I have spent very little time in Columbus. Are there any other neighborhoods that you think really standout that I should consider?
I'm also a fan of the arena district, but it's near a lot of bars as well as the arena, so I imagine its louder late at night.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 am

Credit wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it as I have spent very little time in Columbus. Are there any other neighborhoods that you think really standout that I should consider?
I like Grandview a lot too. Not as close as Victorian Village, but not as far as German Village either. My main suggestions would be: Victorian Village, Harrison West, Short North, Grandview, and then possibly Clintonville if you don't mind living north of campus when the law school is on the south end.

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I came to the March 17/18 ASD and checked out a few places to live for fall. I got off the waitlist for a 1 bed in downtown on front street (annex at river south). Can anyone comment on the area and the commute. I've only been to Columbus once (ASD) and 95% of my time was spend on campus for the events. Thanks guys!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:33 am

cj2k14 wrote:I came to the March 17/18 ASD and checked out a few places to live for fall. I got off the waitlist for a 1 bed in downtown on front street (annex at river south). Can anyone comment on the area and the commute. I've only been to Columbus once (ASD) and 95% of my time was spend on campus for the events. Thanks guys!
It should be about a 10-15 minute drive or maybe a little longer on the bus. It's pretty much a straight shot up High St, but you might want to find another way because High can be extremely slow through the Short North (might not be so bad during morning rush hour, though).

I live just a couple blocks southeast of the Annex and plan on taking 4th st up and 3rd st down. The only time it's been bad was when I was going up to campus in evening rush hour. Living downtown, you'll typically go opposite traffic during rush hour.

I think that immediate area is relatively nice. You'll be close to theatres and the state supreme court and within walking distance of some of the better restaurants downtown. The other side of the river gets sketchy pretty quickly, but I'm under the impression that it's a pretty clear division. Hopefully those who have lived here a little longer can offer better perspective. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pcvmeli

New

Post by pcvmeli » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 am

After two visits I found a place! I'll be in a small one bedroom in Grandview, just over the Olentangy. Should be about a 15 minute bus or bike ride. I am excited to move down, but I probably won't be there until August for good.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:11 am

Awesome - Grandview is a great community :)

Just did my enrollment verification! Hopefully that means section and class assignments soon!!!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:28 pm

lifestooquick wrote:...

Just did my enrollment verification! Hopefully that means section and class assignments soon!!!
Me too! They say those of us who verify before July 22 will subsequently receive our class/section assignment, but I don't know if they mean just subsequent to verifying or subsequent to July 22. I hope it's the former.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Lwoods wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:...

Me too! They say those of us who verify before July 22 will subsequently receive our class/section assignment, but I don't know if they mean just subsequent to verifying or subsequent to July 22. I hope it's the former.
That's what I was hoping. Fingers crossed that it's sooner!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm

So I didn't accept any Grad PLUS loans because my husband can get Stafford/whatever they're called now loans as well, which would be plenty for us. However, his stupid professors haven't actually inputted his grades properly which has his account locked up so he hasn't even been able to get a finaid offer yet! I have NO idea if he'll even be able to get loans at this point or how long until we find out (OSU really can be slooooooow with things, geez). And now I emailed finaid asking if there's any way I can still request the Grad PLUS and haven't heard anything back :(

moral of the story/tl;dr: when they say to just accept all finaid offered, you really should do it :(

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:18 pm

lifestooquick wrote:So I didn't accept any Grad PLUS loans because my husband can get Stafford/whatever they're called now loans as well, which would be plenty for us. However, his stupid professors haven't actually inputted his grades properly which has his account locked up so he hasn't even been able to get a finaid offer yet! I have NO idea if he'll even be able to get loans at this point or how long until we find out (OSU really can be slooooooow with things, geez). And now I emailed finaid asking if there's any way I can still request the Grad PLUS and haven't heard anything back :(

moral of the story/tl;dr: when they say to just accept all finaid offered, you really should do it :(
:( Did you email Marc? Or just general OSU financial aid? I've found Marc (law finaid) to be very helpful and quick to respond. Good luck!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Lwoods wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:So I didn't accept any Grad PLUS loans because my husband can get Stafford/whatever they're called now loans as well, which would be plenty for us. However, his stupid professors haven't actually inputted his grades properly which has his account locked up so he hasn't even been able to get a finaid offer yet! I have NO idea if he'll even be able to get loans at this point or how long until we find out (OSU really can be slooooooow with things, geez). And now I emailed finaid asking if there's any way I can still request the Grad PLUS and haven't heard anything back :(

:( Did you email Marc? Or just general OSU financial aid? I've found Marc (law finaid) to be very helpful and quick to respond. Good luck!
I emailed Marc two days ago. I hope I hear something soon! I'm thinking I may call today though.

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Lwoods wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I didn't request any gradplus at first either but now I am trying to get some. I emailed Marc monday and called today and still have heard no response -thinking maybe he is out of the office. I went ahead and filled out the application(which can be found by clicking the link under award summary on buckeyelink) and emailed it to him and then signed the MPN on the government student loan site.

When it comes to getting things done at OSU make sure you take matters into your own hands and harass the people responsible for helping you. I apologize if you already knew that and planned on doing that, but friends of mine that have transferred here did not realize this. Just trying to help. :) good luck to the both of us

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:32 pm

[/quote]
I emailed Marc two days ago. I hope I hear something soon! I'm thinking I may call today though.[/quote]

Let me know if you hear anything!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:32 pm

2014jd wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I didn't request any gradplus at first either but now I am trying to get some. I emailed Marc monday and called today and still have heard no response -thinking maybe he is out of the office. I went ahead and filled out the application(which can be found by clicking the link under award summary on buckeyelink) and emailed it to him and then signed the MPN on the government student loan site.

When it comes to getting things done at OSU make sure you take matters into your own hands and harass the people responsible for helping you. I apologize if you already knew that and planned on doing that, but friends of mine that have transferred here did not realize this. Just trying to help. :) good luck to the both of us
Thanks! I will make sure to get those steps done - great idea. I figured I couldn't be the ONLY one in this situation. I hope it works out for both of us :)

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:42 pm

2014jd wrote:
I emailed Marc two days ago. I hope I hear something soon! I'm thinking I may call today though.[/quote]

Let me know if you hear anything![/quote]
Just heard back from Marc! I hope he got back to you too. We just have to send him the Grad PLUS application and we should be good to go.

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:36 am

lifestooquick wrote:
2014jd wrote:
I emailed Marc two days ago. I hope I hear something soon! I'm thinking I may call today though.
Let me know if you hear anything![/quote]
Just heard back from Marc! I hope he got back to you too. We just have to send him the Grad PLUS application and we should be good to go.[/quote]

Yep, I heard back from him with the same verdict. Glad you did as well

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leximak22

New

Post by leximak22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi all! I'll be attending Ohio this fall/August. Just checked my buckeye link page and have been assigned classes (although as per the registrar's email these are only tentative...). Look forward to meeting you all.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 pm

leximak22 wrote:Hi all! I'll be attending Ohio this fall/August. Just checked my buckeye link page and have been assigned classes (although as per the registrar's email these are only tentative...). Look forward to meeting you all.
Jealous! I'd even like a fake schedule at this point, lol.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Lwoods wrote:
leximak22 wrote:Hi all! I'll be attending Ohio this fall/August. Just checked my buckeye link page and have been assigned classes (although as per the registrar's email these are only tentative...). Look forward to meeting you all.
Jealous! I'd even like a fake schedule at this point, lol.
+1

Credit

New

Post by Credit » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:03 am

Lwoods wrote:
Credit wrote:Has anyone received info on setting up their ID accounts and email addresses? The admitted students site says that it would be coming shortly after confirmation of my deposit, and that was over a month ago.

I live near German Village. It's about 10 minutes from my place without traffic and 15 with (taking 4th St up). It might take a little longer from German Village depending on how deep you are in it because of the brick roads. :) You'll probably be going the opposite direction of traffic during rush hour, though.

The commute from the Short North / Harrison West / Victorian Village would definitely be better, but it wouldn't be horrible from German Village.
Super delayed response (haven't checked TLS in a long time): After spending a lot more time in Columbus, I decided on the Short North. I really liked the feel of the area and the short commute to the school. Got a nice 2br right on High for a decent price.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”