University of Texas Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
sylvernight

New

University of Texas Class of 2014

Post by sylvernight » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 pm

New thread for the UT Law Class of 2014. Feel free to post your stats and let us know if you're attending next year.

I've just been accepted, but I'm in the military, and am currently waiting for approval.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Good Evening

Are you a Texas resident and do you mind giving some insight on your view of the campus and what to expect and how you prepared you admission packet

I appreciate any insight. I myself am a Texan, first generation. However, I never have visited Austin or the campus much.

sylvernight

New

Post by sylvernight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 am

I was born in Austin, moved to San Diego, then changed my residency back to TX before I went active duty in the military. I love both cities, and I personally think Austin is like San Diego without the beach. There is a great night life and culture in both, and people seem very friendly.

I visited the campus two years ago, as a college senior. Of all the schools I visited, UT felt like "home," if that makes any sense. I also like how non-competitive everyone seems to be. Don't get me wrong; you still need to perform academically, but I don't get the feeling that people want to stab each other in the back for a better grade.

Because I barely met the 25% mark in both grades and LSAT performance, I put a lot of time into my application. I literally spent a month writing my personal statement, and I rewrote my resume and looked over my application a couple of times. This is my first choice school, so I was ecstatic when I got that call again (I was actually admitted two years ago, but couldn't go due to my military obligation). I think the most awesome thing about the adcomm is that they WILL READ your entire package, so if you put time and thought into it, you stand a pretty good chance.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Chiming in here, definitely going to UT Law.

I've lived in Texas my entire life and have found that I like Austin best. People are very friendly and non-judgmental. The academic environment around campus is typically rewarding with a lot of bright people everywhere. Of course you run into a lot of frat people if you venture too far west of campus, but that's everywhere.

Like sylvernight, I spent a really, really long time perfecting my UT application. My numbers aren't the greatest so I think my writing ability and work experience nailed down my admission.

I went to UT undergrad; for a long time my dream was to have my UT law degree hanging above my UG degree in my office. So I'm really happy about attending UT Law and can't wait to start in the fall.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm about 80% sure I'm going to UT!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sylvernight

New

Post by sylvernight » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:15 am

Welcome, Akili. I just found out I won't be able to go this year :( , but I'll be trying again next cycle.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 am

sylvernight wrote:Welcome, Akili. I just found out I won't be able to go this year :( , but I'll be trying again next cycle.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. :(

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Why can't you go Sylver?

sylvernight

New

Post by sylvernight » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:40 pm

CMDantes wrote:Why can't you go Sylver?
It's a long story (check out my TLS blog if the want all the details), but basically because I'm in the military, and they can't spare anyone in my career field this year. Now I get the unpleasant task of writing to Admissions and begging them to hold my spot for another year or two. Wish me luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Damn that's terrible, I'm sorry to hear it. Thanks for serving our country, wish they'd treat you better than that.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Is there more to Freshlaw than just the sunflower ceremony thing and an empty discussion board?

I feel like I'm missing something

sylvernight

New

Post by sylvernight » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:00 pm

CMDantes wrote:Damn that's terrible, I'm sorry to hear it. Thanks for serving our country, wish they'd treat you better than that.
Don't get me wrong--in our current economy, I'm glad to have a job, and the one I have is pretty fun. It'll happen eventually...or I'll be one of those really old law students. :wink:

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 pm

akili wrote:Is there more to Freshlaw than just the sunflower ceremony thing and an empty discussion board?

I feel like I'm missing something
I was thinking the same thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Seriously considering money at Texas. Waiting on other decisions first, but I have been impressed by what I hear about UT and underwhelmed by GULC (the two I have heard from thus far)

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm a 3L at UT. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 am

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:I'm a 3L at UT. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
How's the job situation at UT? Do many 3Ls have work lined up for them or is the class of 2011 screwed? Would you consider UT to be a good cost/benefit choice?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 am

Hank Chill wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:I'm a 3L at UT. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
How's the job situation at UT? Do many 3Ls have work lined up for them or is the class of 2011 screwed? Would you consider UT to be a good cost/benefit choice?
Situation is OK, but not great. I've got plenty of friends (generally from section/small section) who have good jobs/clerkships lined up. Others don't have anything, but I can't think of anyone I'm somewhat familiar with who is freaking out yet.

I wouldn't (and didn't) pay sticker at UT. But I also wouldn't pay sticker at almost any school. I'd say that if you can go to UT and leave with < 100K in debt you should be fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:00 pm

I am posting this in the IN at Texas thread too so bear with me if you see it twice, I am just a little confused. I just got my scholarship offer of $9500/year. However, they are also giving me a Nonresident Tuition Exception, which they value at $48k. I am assuming this means they are charging me in-state tuition (the numbers match up roughly). Can anyone clarify this for me? They value the entire scholarship at 76.5k, and if it is 76.5k from the out of state numbers then I have to say I am pretty happy.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah, that means they'll charge you in-state tuition. Added benefit is you would likely get some smaller grants only given to in-state students as well. I had similar money, and I thought/think it's a great deal.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:02 pm

I posted this in another thread but I decided this is also a good place...

I'm interested in getting together with other Austinites who have been accepted to UT Law for drinks sometime.

Anyone interested?

bidnez11

New

Post by bidnez11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 am

CMDantes wrote:I posted this in another thread but I decided this is also a good place...

I'm interested in getting together with other Austinites who have been accepted to UT Law for drinks sometime.

Anyone interested?
Ask that again this summer and I'll be there. Il be in Austin mid May.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 am

CMDantes wrote:I posted this in another thread but I decided this is also a good place...

Anyone interested?
I would!

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 am

Hey guys!
I got accepted to Texas a while ago. No money though =(.
Today I was rejected by Berkeley. That's another =(.
However, those are my top 2 choices, so the good news is that I don't have to post a million posts asking to decide between Texas and Berkeley.
Guess I'll see you there.

Anyone else from the d/fw area heading south this fall?

radio-edit

New

Post by radio-edit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 pm

turbotong wrote:Anyone else from the d/fw area heading south this fall?
Barring highly unlikely amounts of money from the schools I'm still waiting on - me!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Well, I was deciding between UT and SMU pending my SMU scholarship. I just got it. SMU will cost my $50K total in tuition. UT would be $60k for me. See you in Austin.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”