William & Mary c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
brickman

Bronze

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Post by brickman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:08 pm

It's looking like i'm going to be living in gradplex, so sue me.

Anyone looking for a roommate?

PM me.

gatorlaw2011

New

Post by gatorlaw2011 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 pm

novab

New

Post by novab » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 am

I'm confirmed for W&M and also just signed a lease on a house less than 2 miles from campus. Found a roommate and am very happy with the area :) can't wait to move up there soon!

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 pm

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... jX0E&hl=en

People who have put down seat deposits and their undergraduate institutions.

enjoy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 pm

brickman wrote:https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... jX0E&hl=en

enjoy
Nice work on this! Thanks!

bluebird22

New

Post by bluebird22 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 pm

brickman wrote:https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... jX0E&hl=en

enjoy
Just to let you guys know, quite a few of the people on that list are rising 2Ls and 3Ls!

rachelkatelyn

New

Post by rachelkatelyn » Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 am

AP-375 wrote:Just made it official by mailing of my deposit this morning. I'm pumped for William & Mary!

Also: anyone else looking at the New Town area? I really, really like it, but feel like it's expensive and over-priced.
My decision is finally made: I'm excited for William and Mary too! :)

I'm also interested in New Town and I looked into the Oxford New Town Apartments when I visited Williamsburg. It does seem over-priced, but the apartments seem great and I love the area!

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Withdrew. Hardest decision of the cycle for sure!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Sun May 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Any idea about old outline availability...are there any organizations that collect them?

Art0

New

Post by Art0 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Is anyone out there still looking for a male roommate?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 pm

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... y=CMmBqe0O

Asked the W&M employment office for some data and the sent it. Sorted it for the top 10 cities. I made it open to editing, I didn't feel like going through every employer to find firm size or to add their speciality, it's kind of a collaborative effort to help people out.

Have fun and enjoy!

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm

brickman wrote:https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... y=CMmBqe0O

Asked the W&M employment office for some data and the sent it. Sorted it for the top 10 cities. I made it open to editing, I didn't feel like going through every employer to find firm size or to add their speciality, it's kind of a collaborative effort to help people out.

Have fun and enjoy!
That's awesome! Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwstudent35

New

Post by gwstudent35 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 am

Just got in to W&M off the waitlist and looking for a roommate! I am a male, but would live with male or female..anyone still looking?

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 am

gwstudent35 wrote:Just got in to W&M off the waitlist and looking for a roommate! I am a male, but would live with male or female..anyone still looking?
I think the facebook page will be your best bet. Several people there are still looking for roommates. You get access to it after paying your deposit.

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi everyone - I just started taking questions in another thread but figured I would find this one, too, and have it open to everyone. I met some of you at ASW, I'm not being paid by the admissions committee, so I'll be as honest and helpful as I possibly can. I'm a rising 2L and I know that all of us here are really excited to have you join us.

And yes, I'm really bored at my summer job. :D

Enjoy your last summers, folks.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Thoroughly enjoying last summer, but a question or two:

Are there actually a whole new crop of 1L profs coming in this year?

General words of wisdom on law school?

best restaurants in the area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:04 am

I know Grove is new... that is the only one I have heard of, but I don't really keep tabs on that kind of thing. As you probably already know, you can't choose your 1L professors or classes.

Words of wisdom, especially for W&M:
*Don't take Law Camp too seriously. Be sure to socialize A LOT that week - it is the first and last time EVERYONE will be going to all of the events and getting to know each other, so don't miss out by slaving over your memo.
*Don't take shortcuts and use upperclassmen outlines. You won't get an A that way.
*Drive 25. You will get ticketed. The po are brats here, and they are EVERYWHERE.
*Don't plan on visiting family and friends on weekends, going for a weekend trip up to DC. Not your first semester.
*Do your best, but don't let a bad grade kill your confidence. I let that happen to me, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
*Safeguard your reputation. Don't go sleeping around because you can. EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYTHING.
*Get the Glannon for Civ Pro, the E&E for Torts (especially the back several pages), and any supplement for Crim. I found all of those to be pretty much the same. Second semester: Get the Chemerinsky for Con Law. Get whatever you want for Property and Contracts -- that pretty much depends on which professor you have.
*Don't overload yourself with extracurrics. Just enjoy the free pizza during lunch hour almost every day. You can always actually join things later.
*It's OK if you don't look for jobs until winter break. Most of my friends (including me) did that and we all found jobs we liked.

My favorite restaurants in the area
*Ichiban for cheap and decent sushi
*Peking for Chinese takeout
*Food for Thought for a night out and good food from all over the board
*Z Pizza except they skimp on their sauce sometimes... sigh
*Chipotle!!

Not really New York in terms of dining out options. But at least you aren't paying $2k a month to live in broom closet.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:28 pm

unbeknownst wrote:I know Grove is new... that is the only one I have heard of, but I don't really keep tabs on that kind of thing. As you probably already know, you can't choose your 1L professors or classes.

*Don't take Law Camp too seriously. Be sure to socialize A LOT that week - it is the first and last time EVERYONE will be going to all of the events and getting to know each other, so don't miss out by slaving over your memo.
*Don't take shortcuts and use upperclassmen outlines. You won't get an A that way.
*Drive 25. You will get ticketed. The po are brats here, and they are EVERYWHERE.
*Don't plan on visiting family and friends on weekends, going for a weekend trip up to DC. Not your first semester.
*Do your best, but don't let a bad grade kill your confidence. I let that happen to me, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
*Safeguard your reputation. Don't go sleeping around because you can. EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYTHING.
*Get the Glannon for Civ Pro, the E&E for Torts (especially the back several pages), and any supplement for Crim. I found all of those to be pretty much the same. Second semester: Get the Chemerinsky for Con Law. Get whatever you want for Property and Contracts -- that pretty much depends on which professor you have.
*Don't overload yourself with extracurrics. Just enjoy the free pizza during lunch hour almost every day. You can always actually join things later.
*It's OK if you don't look for jobs until winter break. Most of my friends (including me) did that and we all found jobs we liked.

*Chipotle!!

Not really New York in terms of dining out options. But at least you aren't paying $2k a month to live in broom closet.

I owe you a beer. I'll be getting into town 8th or so. pm me for contact info.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Schedule Posted:

Vivian Hamilton MTR 830-945 - CIV PRO

Isham Hardy TRF 1130-1245 - TORTS

Cynthia Ward TRF 2-315- CRIM

Any 2/3Ls out there know what casebooks they use or where the syllabi gets posted to?

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:41 pm

brickman wrote:Any idea about old outline availability...are there any organizations that collect them?
Lots of student organizations have online outline databases that you can download from as long as you join their organization and pay your dues.

You can ask any 2L or 3L for their old outlines, too. Everyone is pretty reasonable about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm

brickman wrote:Schedule Posted:

Vivian Hamilton MTR 830-945 - CIV PRO

Isham Hardy TRF 1130-1245 - TORTS

Cynthia Ward TRF 2-315- CRIM

Any 2/3Ls out there know what casebooks they use or where the syllabi gets posted to?
Check Banner for book information - it may already be up.
Syllabi gets posted to Blackboard. I would not worry about looking at those godforsaken things until less than a week before school starts.

bluebird22

New

Post by bluebird22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:08 pm

brickman wrote:
unbeknownst wrote:I know Grove is new... that is the only one I have heard of, but I don't really keep tabs on that kind of thing. As you probably already know, you can't choose your 1L professors or classes.

*Chipotle!!

All of this is great advice. However I disagree with a few of them. Don't take law camp seriously at all. I don't remember opening the book that was assigned once. Try on the memo because it gives your legal skills prof a first look at your writing skills but do not slave over it or really even stress over it.

Also, I think upperclassman outlines can be a God send. It really just depends on your studying style. My personal way of studying is to get a couple of good upperclassman outlines, use those with my notes and sort of format all of those sources into one outline. It really just depends on how you study.

*Also, I know unbeknownst recommends Glannon for Civ Pro but the E&E was amazing as well!

Last, I really think that taking weekend trips is very doable. My best friends from home came to visit me at the end of October and we went on a weekend trip to DC. I also traveled the 6 hours home on numerous weekends as well as went home with some friends. I don't think my grades suffered at all.

Most importantly: Law school really isn't that bad. We just like to complain so people think were working way harder than we actually are. There are some students who study from 6am to 12pm in September but they usually just end up burning out. Enjoy yourself, have fun and remember that your personal happiness is way more important than the difference between an A- and a B+. On your death bed, you will never remember what grade you got in crim law but you will remember the friends you made and the good times you had. So don't stress too much.

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Well said, Bluebird!!

I didn't totally crap on Legal Skills bc it's actually graded now for the incoming class... so maybe they actually have to do a little work. That's all theoretical though.

bluebird22 wrote:
brickman wrote:

*Chipotle!!

All of this is great advice. However I disagree with a few of them. Don't take law camp seriously at all. I don't remember opening the book that was assigned once. Try on the memo because it gives your legal skills prof a first look at your writing skills but do not slave over it or really even stress over it.

Also, I think upperclassman outlines can be a God send. It really just depends on your studying style. My personal way of studying is to get a couple of good upperclassman outlines, use those with my notes and sort of format all of those sources into one outline. It really just depends on how you study.

*Also, I know unbeknownst recommends Glannon for Civ Pro but the E&E was amazing as well!

Last, I really think that taking weekend trips is very doable. My best friends from home came to visit me at the end of October and we went on a weekend trip to DC. I also traveled the 6 hours home on numerous weekends as well as went home with some friends. I don't think my grades suffered at all.

Most importantly: Law school really isn't that bad. We just like to complain so people think were working way harder than we actually are. There are some students who study from 6am to 12pm in September but they usually just end up burning out. Enjoy yourself, have fun and remember that your personal happiness is way more important than the difference between an A- and a B+. On your death bed, you will never remember what grade you got in crim law but you will remember the friends you made and the good times you had. So don't stress too much.

joebruin2.0

New

Post by joebruin2.0 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 am

Grading legal skills now?!? Yikes. Now they'll actually have to put in some serious hours on that stuff. My condolences.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”