University of Miami c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Justathought

Silver

Re: University of Miami c/o 2014

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 am

I've decided on Miami as of today. Always wanted to work in Florida. I'm going to keep this positive, because frankly it was better for me than my other options.

I'm open to talking all things Miami related. :wink:

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Miami 1L here, fresh off of exams. Willing to answer any questions if you guys have them. I remember what this time was like last year-- I had a million questions. Leave me a message and I'll try my best to answer what I can.

For what it's worth-- yes, the job market is rough, but all of my friends have jobs as 1L's this summer. I have a judicial internship, and I have a bunch of friends that have them, too. Also have many friends working in other cities in Florida, Atlanta, New York City... all kinds of different areas. The legal market clearly has not rebounded, but I find it to be a source of hope that people are willing to hire 1L's, even for some unpaid internships.

Good luck to everyone, look forward to seeing new faces on the bricks next semester. But glad that isn't coming too soon, I'm thrilled to have a break! :)

Kendi

New

Post by Kendi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 pm

I am looking so forward to coming to Miami! This will be a big change after living in Macon (located an hour south of Atlanta).

Deep down inside I always knew I would wind up at Miami. Drove past the campus many times on the way to the keys. I did toy with the idea to ED at one of the Ivy schools, glad I didn’t. Too cold!

I already have a room, staying with my Aunt on Palm Island. It is a fairly short drive to the campus. That in itself made Miami a much better choice then some other Florida school, or even Emory, which is not all that far from Macon.

Looking forward to 2014! See you soon!

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Life is over Tuesday :?

Chi515

New

Post by Chi515 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 am

Grizz wrote:
jacob_c84 wrote:Miami has an excellent tax law program and the location is killer! I don't think Miami is as bad as many of you are making it out to be. I'm considering going there myself. Florida is probably a slightly better school; FSU and Miami are neck and neck.
FL > UM, even in Miami. Seriously. FSU and Miami are more or less equal in South FL, but I'd still much rather go to FSU because there's a larger area of FL open to you. Miami isn't worth much outside of South FL.

I currently attend "The U" and it isn't a bad place to be. I applied here as a back up b/c it is a shoe in for me (my parents and myself (graduating Ugrad this year) are alums and have donated alot of money over the years).

My one complaint: the SIZE of the law school. SMALL. They have an incredible law library though and the campus is nothing short of amazing.

I personally would prefer to NOT stay here another few years and want to head to Chicago but, good luck to you all who are going to (or want to) attend THE U (and BTW everyone here calls it that)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chi515

New

Post by Chi515 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 am

swflgirl wrote:I have been accepted and I would like to hear other things than don't go there Miami sucks. Does any one have anything good to say?

If you really want the Miami experience, it is a GREAT place! I currently attend UMiami (Ugrad) and do love being here, but I would prefer a change of scenery!

Good Luck!

Intraining

Bronze

Post by Intraining » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm a 1L at Miami and I can tell you that it was seriously the best decision I've ever made. Don't let anyone give you the short sale, the deck is stacked against everyone everywhere that is graduating from law school right now (to a lesser extent for T-14, but it still applies). What you should know is that whoever is willing to put the work in to get a job will get one. It's never a recession if you're creative.

Then again, I'm on scholarship. I don't know if I would say the exact same thing if I was paying sticker...but I probably would.

NewOneLer

New

Post by NewOneLer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi UM Law Class of 2014!

I was hoping to ask you for a favor. My property professor, Ben Depoorter, used to teach at UM Law for 4 years. He's pretty new at our university and we only have 1 previous exam of his. Can one of you PM me his previous exams in property that you guys have on file?
http://www.law.miami.edu/library/services.php#exams
It would be immensely helpful for a noob like me to see his previous exams to get a better idea on what he's looking for on a final exam.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 am

Hey guys, I'll be working in Miami this summer and I'm looking to sublease an apartment or condo, preferably a 1br. PM me if you or anyone you know has a place available. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”