American University 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
gdane

Diamond

Re: American University 2014

Post by gdane » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:56 pm

swordsfish wrote: I've heard that AU doesn't give out that much money but I could be wrong since I can't remember where I heard that from...
That is correct swordfish. AU does not give out much at all.

Most scholarship offers (aid and merit based) will be sent out in Febrauary. Keep in mind that the sooner you fill out the FAFSA and NeedAccess forms, the sooner you'll hear back from AU.

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:45 am

Hi All!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm currently finishing my fall 1L semester at American so if you guys have any questions I can do my best to answer them.

Quick note about public transportation, the metro can get expensive so if you're looking for housing try somewhere near the N4 or N8 bus lines.

Also, if you're moving from far away, Archstone Apartments lets you rent online, a lot of students are in the Park Connecticut Apartment building, our own little WCL community right off the N8 line.

Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:12 pm

frecklesmclean0002 wrote:Hi All!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm currently finishing my fall 1L semester at American so if you guys have any questions I can do my best to answer them.

Quick note about public transportation, the metro can get expensive so if you're looking for housing try somewhere near the N4 or N8 bus lines.

Also, if you're moving from far away, Archstone Apartments lets you rent online, a lot of students are in the Park Connecticut Apartment building, our own little WCL community right off the N8 line.

Thanks. This is helpful. By the way, how much does housing typically cost?

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
frecklesmclean0002 wrote:Hi All!

Thanks. This is helpful. By the way, how much does housing typically cost?
I'm sharing a two bedroom apartment with another person in Silver Spring and I'm paying $815 with all utilities included. But my commute to school takes about an hour on public transportation, so I wouldn't recommend it. I have a friend who has a basement studio apartment in Adams Morgan for $900 and another who is paying $1100 in the same neighborhood to live in a high rise building. American gives you a budget of $1300 a month for rent so you have the option of finding a studio if that's right for you. They also have a housing blog on my.wcl.american.edu so students can coordinate to live in a group house or room together in an apartment.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm currently a 2L at WCL; more than happy to take questions via thread or PM.

Re: neighborhoods. People tend to live all over the city; some tend to live closer to the law school (there are a number of basement apartments and such available) or in Tenleytown, but as someone mentioned earlier, not too many actual apartment complexes around. Folks generally tend to live in Friendship Heights/Chevy Chase, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, and Van Ness (mostly because of the easy access to the Red Line -- Friendship Heights is also the start of the N4 bus line, which is convenient and drops you off right next to the law school; the N8 goes through Glover Park and also drops you off near the law school, though it doesn't run on the weekends).

Dupont is an option and is in a very lively part of town, but can get quite pricey. Those who want to live closer to the city and closer to nightlife tend to live in AdMo or Columbia Heights, but it's a pain to get to school (AdMo really doesn't have a metro -- closest Red Line metros are Woodley Park or Dupont; Columbia Heights is on the green/yellow line). A few people live further away -- Northern Virginia (Pentagon City, Rosslyn), Capitol Hill, etc. but the commute is a pain. Generally, the further away from the city you go (towards Bethesda if you're going towards Maryland, Rosslyn/Arlington/Crystal City/Alexandria if you're going towards Virginia), the more affordable the apartments will be.

Also, I wouldn't worry terribly about getting housing now. While it's definitely great to meet up with people online and try to coordinate housing that way, it's usually pretty easy to find a place to live/roommates and such. WCL does run its apartment/housing search event over the summer, and AU also has a site of its own where it has listings for off-campus residences.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Happy New Year everyone!!!

sandaltan

Bronze

Post by sandaltan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm

im excited to be admitted to american with my 3.05 gpa, all my T1 were reaches.

denied at fordham and W&L, itll probably come down to American, Tulane or SMU (if i get into tulane and SMU), maybe wake if im really lucky.

the employment stats from lawschooltransparency are surprisingly encouraging (from 2008)(in b4 DC market sucks, economy is worse than 2008):

--LinkRemoved--

i stopped listening to the pessimist DC law in the toilet its T14 or bust mentality that a lot of tlsers seem to have - thats no way to go through law school. do your best, be an optimist and be happy. if you made it to the T1 you have a bright future if you apply yourself.

as far as american goes, im a little worried about housing, as i would imagine a lot of other 0ls are. I would like to live as close to the school as possible, with other law students. are there any gyms around? i like bball. i dont want an hour commute to school. maybe a bike ride. i dont want to live in a studio, but with roomate(s), with other law students around. where is that?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 pm

sandaltan wrote:i stopped listening to the pessimist DC law in the toilet its T14 or bust mentality that a lot of tlsers seem to have - thats no way to go through law school. do your best, be an optimist and be happy. if you made it to the T1 you have a bright future if you apply yourself.

as far as american goes, im a little worried about housing, as i would imagine a lot of other 0ls are. I would like to live as close to the school as possible, with other law students. are there any gyms around? i like bball. i dont want an hour commute to school. maybe a bike ride. i dont want to live in a studio, but with roomate(s), with other law students around. where is that?
Im glad youre a positive person. So am I. However, based off of my conversations with current WCL students it seems that top 10% is the number to be at if you want a good shot at a good job. Im sure other students find jobs, but top 10% is where you want to be. Like you said though, just do your best and be happy.

As far as housing goes, its a bitch. Im not looking forward to the hunt. I too want to live as close to the school as possible. Id like to live alone, but I dont think I can pay the $1800/month price tag for an apt near the school. Finding a house with other people is probably the best thing you can do if you want to live near the school without having to pay a lot.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm

I went to undergrad at AU, great part of a great city (and great professors to boot). Congrats to everyone who got it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Perseus

New

Post by Perseus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Congrats All! Has anyone been able to get any information on last year's OCI and job placement?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Perseus wrote:Congrats All! Has anyone been able to get any information on last year's OCI and job placement?
Supposedly, top 20% will get you a screening interview during OCI. However, top 10-5% is where you want to be.

Perseus

New

Post by Perseus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Somewhat depressingly, I have been spending the majority of the afternoon reading a number of the 'scam blogs' out there. I recommend that all prospective 1Ls read these. Check out:

http://subprimejd.blogspot.com/
http://firsttiertoilet.blogspot.com
http://scammedhard.blogspot.com/
http://shillingmesoftly.blogspot.com
http://rosecoloredglassesjd.blogspot.com/

There are numerous others.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Youre going to find tons of those blogs out there. There is no shortage of disgruntled law students. The truth is that getting a well paying legal job is difficult. There is a huge oversupply of lawyers in the US. Students from well respected schools have had trouble finding gainful employment. Going to law school because you think youre going to get rich is a bad idea.

However, its not all doom and gloom. AU faces a lot of competition in DC, but it holds its own. WCL alumni are all over DC and there are many opportunities for you to network. Networking is key. Granted, high grades are what you want, but putting yourself out there also needs to factor into the equation.

Consider what the blogs say, but dont let them completely scare you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Krodizzle

New

Post by Krodizzle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 pm

I just got accepted today!

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Krodizzle wrote:I just got accepted today!
Congrats!! Me too!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:34 am

Which ASD are you guys going to? I was planning on the April 1st one and hoping to meet some future classmates!

yankeefan37

New

Post by yankeefan37 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 am

Where are you guys finding the info about ASWs? I can't find any online and want to start planning my trip down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:19 am

yankeefan37 wrote:Where are you guys finding the info about ASWs? I can't find any online and want to start planning my trip down.
+1

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 pm

You should have received an email. If you didnt, check mywcl. All the info is on there.

tc64

New

Post by tc64 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 pm

I have been admitted as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from other places but I was very excited to hear back from AU. Finding my "admission packet" is getting frustrating, but I guess I have to wait 24 hrs before I can access it. grr. I just want to know! Anyone from the Chicago area?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am

Has anyone heard back re: merit $$$?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey guys, I was accepted to American about a month ago and was pretty excited since I love DC and am considering doing a dual JD/MPP at American. The career prospects are unsettling though, so I'm hoping some of my reach schools come through. Another thing is that I got accepted to Maryland, which is quite comparable to American and now I'm torn. I started an American vs. Maryland thread here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=147832 and would love some feedback...thanks

yoyowhatupyo

New

Post by yoyowhatupyo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 pm

they don't hardly give any scholarship awards, do they?

2011applicant88

New

Post by 2011applicant88 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

I'll probably be at AU next year. Excited to be in DC! Looking forward to meeting you all!

If anyone has housing questions, PM me, I've lived in DC for the past few years.

:D

silversnitches

New

Post by silversnitches » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

HI everyone! I got accepted a few weeks ago and am strongly considering going. I'm from Miami and the whole relocation process seems really intimidating... any pointers?

Also, are any of attending one of the ASDs? I'm wondering if I should start making travel plans now or leave it till last-minute.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”