Fordham Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
aaaaaah

Bronze

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Post by aaaaaah » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm

OH MY GOD. I just heard back on need-based $-- it doubles my award. I literally cried tears of joy. Sending my deposit now.

adevotchka

Bronze

Post by adevotchka » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm

aaaaaah wrote:OH MY GOD. I just heard back on need-based $-- it doubles my award. I literally cried tears of joy. Sending my deposit now.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get in need based aid and do you think it was largely based off what your parents make?

Also, I sent my deposit a few days ago!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Need-based aid has a lot to do with what your parents make

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I PM'd adevotchka, but if anyone else is interested in specifics, send me a message and I'd be happy to discuss. Just don't want to post details about my finances here. :)

Anyway, I'm suuuper excited to officially be attending Fordham. :D

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

hi future classmates :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a.marie

New

Post by a.marie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Heyy guys! I submitted my deposit, too. I'm so excited!!

abc14

New

Post by abc14 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 pm

I also deposited this week. Longtime TLS lurker but figured this is a good place to start posting.

Staying in tonight after overdoing on Friday and I thought I'd share some stuff I found re: Fordham employment stats.

It looks like the Class of 2010 employment data is up on the Fordham website:

http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/21378.htm

Looks like they removed previous years placement info to make comparisons more difficult, but info for Class of 2008 is on Law School Transparency data clearinghouse (--LinkRemoved--), and class of either 08 or 09 job breakdown (I think 2009) is on NALP Directory (--LinkRemoved--)

The most noticeable change seems to be the difference in private sector placement this year. Firm jobs for only 50% of graduation class, although proportion of grads at firms with 100+ lawyers (70%) seems similar to what I remember it was from Fordham's Class of 09 placement page (which again was removed, so I'm going from memory). Seems like about 33% of overall graduating class got 100+ lawyer firm jobs in class of 2010, down from about 50% in class of 2009 (again going from memory of old removed page).

Also this fine print for 2010 page is slightly disconcerting: "*14.7% of those reporting employment status indicating that they were employed nine months after graduation, were employed in public sector placements funded by the Law School."

However, for a comparison, I looked up the Georgetown placement that was listed on Law School Transparency and NALP as well to get a look at how their placements have changed as the economy has taken a beating

Class of 2008 breakdown from LST:
--LinkRemoved--

Class of 2010 (I believe, going by what is written in geographic breakdown):
--LinkRemoved--

They had nearly an identical shift from ~70% firm jobs in 2008 per LST, to ~50% for 2010. They are obviously a fine school, and this gives some perspective to the shift in firm jobs at Fordham over the same time period.

Anyway not trying to be a downer but I found this new info interesting and thought you guys might too. Obviously there is more to law school than getting a large firm job, I'm sure several in this thread have no interest in them anyway and nobody should be "biglaw or bust" in this economy. On the other hand I have come across some encouraging anecdotes (personally and from some websites) that NYC large firm SA positions are back on the way up as well, so maybe Class of 2014 won't have it so rough.

I also have to say I very much appreciate Fordham being so transparent about all this (ie including that disclaimer about school-funded positions, having 99% report rate, etc). They are definitely one of the most up-front schools when it comes to job data

EDIT: realized the NALP links don't work. Just go to http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... vanced.asp and type in the respective school names in the search field to get to where I intended to go in the links

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for this, abc!

One thing about GULC: I'm pretty sure that they like giving temp jobs to their grads so they bring their numbers up that way. At least Fordham is transparent about it. I appreciate that much, at least.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:20 pm

That was an interesting and informative post. I caution on two items. The first is that the 14.7% of people that the school effectively employed don't seem to be reflected in the stats. Do you agree? Please correct me if I am wrong. I only see 13.8% of the class in public interest positions. Something is amiss. The second item is that the comparison to Georgetown is a lull into faulty logic. Fordham had it bad, but so did Georgetown, and its a fine school... At the end of the day all that means is that you have a lot of unemployed grads from a fine school ahead of you. And at the end of the day everyone loses, unfortunately. The bigger picture is that law school is not a great bet.

Regarding Georgetown, myspace was once extremely popular and an industry leader. Then the industry shifted and it couldn't keep up and now its a small player.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Gemini wrote:Thanks for this, abc!

One thing about GULC: I'm pretty sure that they like giving temp jobs to their grads so they bring their numbers up that way. At least Fordham is transparent about it. I appreciate that much, at least.
At the end of the day, its a lot of unemployed kids, whether it is sliced and diced or not. Transparency should be a given. If the schools really wanted to be helpful they would lower tuition and salaries and cut requirements.

abc14

New

Post by abc14 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:48 am

Mr Anon I wasn't trying to draw any strong conclusions by including the GTown comparison. It's just another data point, the first one I happened to look up after doing the Fordham comparison. Not attempting to conclude that Fordham is just as good as GTown or that everything will be rosy for us because T14s are taking hits too. Make of it what you will (which I see you already have, in a not at all condescending way).

How they are classifying the school-funded public sector placements is a fair question. If all were counted as PI that would make up over 12% of the 13% PI total, which seems to be too large a proportion (PI placement has recent been ~5% of the class). I am guessing the 14% school-funded placements are spread between Government and PI classifications because along with the higher PI number, the Government number for 2010 (9.6%) is substantially higher than the NALP number which reflects the Class of 09 (5.35). I am going to follow up with Career Services about this though

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 pm

MrAnon wrote:That was an interesting and informative post. I caution on two items. The first is that the 14.7% of people that the school effectively employed don't seem to be reflected in the stats. Do you agree? Please correct me if I am wrong. I only see 13.8% of the class in public interest positions. Something is amiss. The second item is that the comparison to Georgetown is a lull into faulty logic. Fordham had it bad, but so did Georgetown, and its a fine school... At the end of the day all that means is that you have a lot of unemployed grads from a fine school ahead of you. And at the end of the day everyone loses, unfortunately. The bigger picture is that law school is not a great bet.

Regarding Georgetown, myspace was once extremely popular and an industry leader. Then the industry shifted and it couldn't keep up and now its a small player.
Couple things-- 14.7% of 93.1% is under 13.8%, in case you were wondering. Furthermore, I think they probably classified some of these people as "academic," since I know a couple of class of '10 people holding these jobs, and they are characterized as "Dean's Scholars" type positions. I would say they are closer to academia than public interest, but I could be wrong.

I am happy overall that Fordham works pretty darn hard to be transparent about this. I cannot even imagine too many other law schools coming out and acknowledging that yes, the economy sucks, and these types of positions exist. My understanding is that they don't pay a ton, but the one held by one of my friends actually is pretty cool-- they aren't all awful jobs no one would want to take if the economy improved.

I meant to say that as a rising 3L going into PI, I am still proud of the school and happy with my choice. You should know the economy is still rough and there is nothing to sugarcoat, but I think this was a good decision and I am glad...

And of course-- congrats to the class of '14/'15! Welcome!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:15 am

Completely random question: does anyone know if Fordham provides discounts for things like broadway shows, ballets (since we ARE right next to LC), etc? My friend scored really great broadway tickets through her grad school and I was wondering if FU does the same thing...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:00 am

Gemini wrote:Completely random question: does anyone know if Fordham provides discounts for things like broadway shows, ballets (since we ARE right next to LC), etc? My friend scored really great broadway tickets through her grad school and I was wondering if FU does the same thing...
Discounts to Broadway shows, I believe yes. Also free movie tickets. Sadly no free/discounted opera tickets, though I believe both the Met and other Lincoln Center orgs do offer discounted student tickets.

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:05 am

Gemini wrote:Completely random question: does anyone know if Fordham provides discounts for things like broadway shows, ballets (since we ARE right next to LC), etc? My friend scored really great broadway tickets through her grad school and I was wondering if FU does the same thing...
Oooh! I just realized that proximty to LC means I might actually be able to stand in line for rush tickets. It's usually so inconvenient. <3 Fordham.

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:07 am

OperaSoprano wrote: Couple things-- 14.7% of 93.1% is under 13.8%, in case you were wondering. Furthermore, I think they probably classified some of these people as "academic," since I know a couple of class of '10 people holding these jobs, and they are characterized as "Dean's Scholars" type positions. I would say they are closer to academia than public interest, but I could be wrong.
I'm a little confused. Can you expand a little on what kind of positions these are? I've just never heard of them before now.
Thanks!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 am

aaaaaah wrote:
Oooh! I just realized that proximty to LC means I might actually be able to stand in line for rush tickets. It's usually so inconvenient. <3 Fordham.
LCT has StudenTix... $20 tickets for any show at the Vivienne Beaumont (typically among the best shows on Broadway... Piazza, South Pacific... and War Horse seems to be getting good reviews as well) or the Mitzie Newhouse (phenomenal Off-Broadway house). It's even better than rush because you can order online! I think there's a waiting list for it these days, though...

A warning against the family circle tickets for the Met... do NOT get the box seats. "Partial view" = no view for most of those seats. :oops: (I made a mad dash to see a bunch of shows before I left NY and was kind of budget conscious).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 am

Lwoods wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:
LCT has StudenTix... $20 tickets for any show at the Vivienne Beaumont (typically among the best shows on Broadway... Piazza, South Pacific... and War Horse seems to be getting good reviews as well) or the Mitzie Newhouse (phenomenal Off-Broadway house). It's even better than rush because you can order online! I think there's a waiting list for it these days, though...

A warning against the family circle tickets for the Met... do NOT get the box seats. "Partial view" = no view for most of those seats. :oops: (I made a mad dash to see a bunch of shows before I left NY and was kind of budget conscious).
Ooh, thanks for the info! I've made the same mistake w/ partial view family circle seats. You can see maybe half of the stage, and that's pretty much only if you're willing to lean over the side. I have sat front and center of the family section though and those seats were great! They're only about $10 more than the partial view seating, IIRC.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Discounts to Broadway shows, I believe yes. Also free movie tickets. Sadly no free/discounted opera tickets, though I believe both the Met and other Lincoln Center orgs do offer discounted student tickets.
FREE MOVIE TICKETS?!!? please expand! it's annoying to pay like $12 just to go see a movie...i'd rather wait for it to come out :roll:

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Wooohooo mediation champs!

I'm actually just shamelessly bumping this thread because I like seeing it up at the top. :)

abc14

New

Post by abc14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 pm

So I nerded it up and added more schools to my analysis of changes in law firm placement (from above post). Added all years I could find data (05, 07, 08, 09, 10). The school selection may seem sort of random but I basically included some schools I am waitlisted at (I did this for my info after all) plus some Fordham "peer schools."

PM me for link to spreadsheet

It's really too random for any strong conclusions (plus relative quality of firms for each school is a big, unknown variable) but still interesting to look at IMO. Fordham is not the only school to see its firm placement take a dive in 2010, but at the same time Fordham's 2005 firm % seems unusually high so that may skew the comparative year by year % in my analysis somewhat. You can copy the data onto your own spreadsheet and use other years for the comparison instead of 2005

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:25 am

I'm all alone here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=125921

Help a girl out! :wink:

nicole88

Bronze

Post by nicole88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 am

I visited this past weekend and I think Fordham is the one! Now, where to live...?

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 am

nicole88 wrote:I visited this past weekend and I think Fordham is the one! Now, where to live...?
The Fordham facebook group has a link to the Fordham law housing group. You can post and find a roomie there! :)

ellewoods2

New

Post by ellewoods2 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 am

Gemini wrote:
nicole88 wrote:I visited this past weekend and I think Fordham is the one! Now, where to live...?
The Fordham facebook group has a link to the Fordham law housing group. You can post and find a roomie there! :)
can you post a link to the facebook group?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”