Fordham Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Gotti

Gold

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Post by Gotti » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:51 am

Zarathustraspoke wrote:AEP= Academic Enrichment Program. I'm not sure how they chose who get's the emails or if every incoming student did (although, I don't all did). Essentially, it is a two week prep course where they go over outlines, case briefs, time management, etc. It seems to be the case that many of the students who were invited to apply over email were either minorities or disadvantaged in some sort of way...
or just invited for the hell of it...i'm neither a minority or disadvantaged

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am

Zarathustraspoke wrote:AEP= Academic Enrichment Program. I'm not sure how they chose who get's the emails or if every incoming student did (although, I don't all did). Essentially, it is a two week prep course where they go over outlines, case briefs, time management, etc. It seems to be the case that many of the students who were invited to apply over email were either minorities or disadvantaged in some sort of way...
Not. Fair. :evil: :evil:

e: was anyone else apart from me and JenDarby not invited?

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 am

I guess. I think they had to have some criteria for extending invitations. It would seem unfair to just pick people from a hat and leave others out for the hell of it. But, hey who knows, maybe that's exactly what they did

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:54 am

Gemini wrote:

i wasn't

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Gemini wrote:

i wasn't
I am taking it as a compliment. They recognize we simply don't need that extra hand holding. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm

I've only just now ordered the final official transcript. :oops: :oops:

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:30 pm

It says pretty clearly on the Fordham site that AEP is for those underrepresented in the field of law... It may not apply to all URMs for admissions purposes, but it covers other minorities.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi! Sorry all, I should have seen this MUCH earlier but I've been juggling multiple jobs this summer and have let my TLS monitoring slide. :(

I was invited to participate in AEP last year and I'm actually working as a T.A. for the program this year.
I BELIEVE that this year, something like 150 of the incoming students were invited (I can get the exact number).
There are 90-something enrolled.
Students are invited because there is something in their application/record that says they might benefit from a head start on school: either you've been out of school for a while, your undergrad experience is not something that would have prepared you for law school (maybe you were an art major, etc), you are the first in your family to go to grad school, English isn't your first language - anything like that. (Yes, catagories that are traditionally "under-represented") This year, many other students heard about the program, applied and were put on a wait list; I can find out how many were admitted off the list.
If any of you have specific questions feel free to post them here (I'm gonna flag this thread so I can keep on top of this) or PM me: I'm happy to answer anything I can and clear up any misconceptions!

Also, while we're on this? CAN YOU BELIEVE YOU'RE ALMOST 1LS?????? Looking forward to welcoming you guys to Fordham. :mrgreen:

edit: Oooo! So Zara, Gotti, Blacklawboss .... you better PM me so I know who you are! lol

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:06 pm

^^^Why I loooove nygrrrrl. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Gotti wrote:
or just invited for the hell of it...i'm neither a minority or disadvantaged
Well, you're not a URM in law school, but you're still a minority race in America...

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 pm

L that still cant be the reason... I know a girl as white as me, and is around my age, who was offered to attend the program. So yeah, it's super weird.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Gemini wrote:L that still cant be the reason... I know a girl as white as me, and is around my age, who was offered to attend the program. So yeah, it's super weird.
Didn't Nygrrrrl just settle the issue like 3 posts ago?

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 am

Is anyone joining a gym? I'm wondering will it be a waste of money for me to join equinox. I will be a pt eve student coming to school from work in LIC. When will I have time to go to the gym?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 am

blacklawboss wrote:Is anyone joining a gym? I'm wondering will it be a waste of money for me to join equinox. I will be a pt eve student coming to school from work in LIC. When will I have time to go to the gym?
I used to be a member at Equinox - it is a GREAT gym but was too $$$ for my blood, once school started. I'm a member at NYSports - there's one literally across the street from school (though that isn't the one I usually use.) I know lots of evening student/friends who would go straight from class to work out (we are always out by 9, 915 latest).

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:23 am

Gemini wrote:L that still cant be the reason... I know a girl as white as me, and is around my age, who was offered to attend the program. So yeah, it's super weird.
Hey, Gem - yeah, sometimes you look at people in the program and think, HUH?
But usually there's a reason you can't see. Something in their transcript, PS, background, etc.
(Did you petition Student Affairs for a spot? I THINK they've solidified the class list but you could still try....) :D

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 am

nygrrrl wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Is anyone joining a gym? I'm wondering will it be a waste of money for me to join equinox. I will be a pt eve student coming to school from work in LIC. When will I have time to go to the gym?
I used to be a member at Equinox - it is a GREAT gym but was too $$$ for my blood, once school started. I'm a member at NYSports - there's one literally across the street from school (though that isn't the one I usually use.) I know lots of evening student/friends who would go straight from class to work out (we are always out by 9, 915 latest).
The level of classes at NYSports varies too much from gym to gym. If you don't mind, is there a special Fordham rate? I'm over 23 so I wont get the low low rate

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:02 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
The level of classes at NYSports varies too much from gym to gym. If you don't mind, is there a special Fordham rate? I'm over 23 so I wont get the low low rate
No I don't think there is a student discount unless you're under 23 :?

There's a gym we have access to in McMahon Hall, I was told.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:10 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Hey, Gem - yeah, sometimes you look at people in the program and think, HUH?
But usually there's a reason you can't see. Something in their transcript, PS, background, etc.
(Did you petition Student Affairs for a spot? I THINK they've solidified the class list but you could still try....) :D
Haha, no I haven't petitioned but I'll be working through the first week of the program anyway.. :(

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Not sure where you are in LIC, but I know there's a Planet Fitness in Astoria. Cheap, and if you don't need top-of-the-line equipment, it seems like a fine option.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Not sure where you are in LIC, but I know there's a Planet Fitness in Astoria. Cheap, and if you don't need top-of-the-line equipment, it seems like a fine option.
Yeah I just work in the area and I HATE PLANET FITNESS! There are very few machines, and I like to take classes (Spin/Cardio). I know that equinox has the best facilities, but how do I justify the monthly rate?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:28 pm

It looks like the orientation schedule is posted to the admitted students page.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:34 pm

NYC Law wrote:It looks like the orientation schedule is posted to the admitted students page.
where? I looked, no luck.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
NYC Law wrote:It looks like the orientation schedule is posted to the admitted students page.
On the checklist under things to do by the end of July.

Here's a direct link: http://law.fordham.edu/assets/StudentAf ... isions.pdf

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

Thanks, found it after I posted the question. Anyone selling Whose Monet? on here? Just as I began reading GTM.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:00 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

Thanks, found it after I posted the question. Anyone selling Whose Monet? on here? Just as I began reading GTM.
Think we'll need it during orientation? If not I might be interested

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”