Fordham Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:So I have a dilemma, and I'd be interested in hearing my classmates' thoughts. I'm in the Evening Division, and right now, I'm planning on working one part-time job averaging 20-hours a week. I'm now in the second phase of an interview with a VERY desirable non-profit for a second part-time job that would be 15-20 hours a week. Neither job is legal, but each is substantive in its own respect. I feel like this is do-able, but would I be shooting myself in the foot if I took both jobs? Maybe I just need a cold dose of reality to shock me out of this...
Very hard to say. My job is about 35 (sometimes 40) hrs/wk but I have a family, too. I have lots of friends who worked Hard Core 40 hr/wk gigs and did quite well in school; my concern would be juggling the 2 positions. Honestly? Your 1L grades are SO IMPORTANT that I would just take one of these jobs and try to parley the other into a summer gig.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:01 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:So I have a dilemma, and I'd be interested in hearing my classmates' thoughts. I'm in the Evening Division, and right now, I'm planning on working one part-time job averaging 20-hours a week. I'm now in the second phase of an interview with a VERY desirable non-profit for a second part-time job that would be 15-20 hours a week. Neither job is legal, but each is substantive in its own respect. I feel like this is do-able, but would I be shooting myself in the foot if I took both jobs? Maybe I just need a cold dose of reality to shock me out of this...
Very hard to say. My job is about 35 (sometimes 40) hrs/wk but I have a family, too. I have lots of friends who worked Hard Core 40 hr/wk gigs and did quite well in school; my concern would be juggling the 2 positions. Honestly? Your 1L grades are SO IMPORTANT that I would just take one of these jobs and try to parley the other into a summer gig.
just wanted throw my $0.02 as a fellow evening student (entering my 3LE year). i agree with what nygrrrl said, specifically the importance of 1L grades, but my personal advice would put a slightly different spin on it: I would suggest to only take the second job if it will help you (in a somewhat significant way) pay for school/rent. otherwise, i just think your schedule may bit a bit jumbled, in fact, maybe too jumbled.

with that being said (and i hope to not contradict myself), you should be prepared to have A LOT of free time as an evening student working only 20hrs/week. i personally work 50-60hrs/wk, but that is one job, and my focus is on that one place, not multiple. you should use this extra time not only to prepare for classes/exams, but also to do things you enjoy (socialize, exercise, enjoy nyc). i personally think the problem with most law students who do not experience a great deal of success is that they eat/sleep/breathe law school

let me know if you have any other questions about going to school while working

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 pm

jrock12 wrote: just wanted throw my $0.02 as a fellow evening student (entering my 3LE year). i agree with what nygrrrl said, specifically the importance of 1L grades, but my personal advice would put a slightly different spin on it: I would suggest to only take the second job if it will help you (in a somewhat significant way) pay for school/rent. otherwise, i just think your schedule may bit a bit jumbled, in fact, maybe too jumbled.

with that being said (and i hope to not contradict myself), you should be prepared to have A LOT of free time as an evening student working only 20hrs/week. i personally work 50-60hrs/wk, but that is one job, and my focus is on that one place, not multiple. you should use this extra time not only to prepare for classes/exams, but also to do things you enjoy (socialize, exercise, enjoy nyc). i personally think the problem with most law students who do not experience a great deal of success is that they eat/sleep/breathe law school

let me know if you have any other questions about going to school while working
SO. MUCH. AWESOMENESS. (i.e., I totally concur, this is great advice. :D )

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks nygrrrl and jrock. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. It's just hard to turn down the brand and what it could do for my resume. But in the end, grades matter more and I think I should minimize the risk of lower grades. I like the idea of trying to make it a summer gig, though. I'm guessing 1E (that's the evening student terminology, yes?) students don't get legal-related gigs, right?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:Thanks nygrrrl and jrock. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. It's just hard to turn down the brand and what it could do for my resume. But in the end, grades matter more and I think I should minimize the risk of lower grades. I like the idea of trying to make it a summer gig, though. I'm guessing 1E (that's the evening student terminology, yes?) students don't get legal-related gigs, right?
You aren't pressured to do so (the Career Planning Center understands that many of us are financing our LS careers on our day jobs and doesn't push us to give those gigs up), but I did manage to land a legal gig this summer. PM me for details. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adevotchka

Bronze

Post by adevotchka » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Bleh, it sucks to be asking this but is anyone still looking for a roommate/apartment? I put a deposit down on a place a month ago but the owner decided he wanted to rent to his sister about 3 days ago, and completely reneged on his end of the deal. I need to get out of my current place in NYC because of the INSANE mouse problem (gross, I know).

Completely unrelated question for females: any tricks to get a commitophobe boyfriend to ask me to move in with him? Any advice welcome here :D

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 pm

adevotchka wrote:Bleh, it sucks to be asking this but is anyone still looking for a roommate/apartment? I put a deposit down on a place a month ago but the owner decided he wanted to rent to his sister about 3 days ago, and completely reneged on his end of the deal. I need to get out of my current place in NYC because of the INSANE mouse problem (gross, I know).

Completely unrelated question for females: any tricks to get a commitophobe boyfriend to ask me to move in with him? Any advice welcome here :D
Don't move in with a boyfriend now, its like having a child 1L year. Ask on the Fordham fb group for roomate. Craigslist share isn't it as bad as you may think also.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 pm

ZOMG OUR SCHEDULES AND SECTIONS ARE UP ON MY.FORDHAM

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 pm

NYC Law wrote:ZOMG OUR SCHEDULES AND SECTIONS ARE UP ON MY.FORDHAM
YAY! Listen, if anyone has trouble negotiating the site (or the weird banner thing) let me know - I'll do my best to talk you through it. Congrats, all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:29 pm

Not seeing it...what section/tab/link/folder (OMG there are a million options!!!) did you click?

Edit: never mind. Found it!!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:31 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
Not seeing it...what section/tab/link/folder (OMG there are a million options!!!) did you click?
It's under Banner self service -> Student -> Registration -> Student Detail Schedule

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 pm

OMG OMG OMG it's up. Finally!!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Pro-tip: check the prices for books on Amazon. Just make sure it's the same ISDN number.
:mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Damn, I only found 2 of my professors on rate my professors and one of them has the :( symbol.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Gemini wrote:Damn, I only found 2 of my professors on rate my professors and one of them has the :( symbol.
PM me who you have.

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 am

nygrrrl wrote:
Gemini wrote:Damn, I only found 2 of my professors on rate my professors and one of them has the :( symbol.
PM me who you have.
Seconded, I may have advice/outlines or know others that do.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:15 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who checked that site too! It was there when I googled their names and I just HAD to check it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:08 am

how do you know what section you're in?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:10 am

Last edited by Stringer6 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am

I can't find mine :shock: I hope it's because they didn't put up the evening students as of yet.....

katie96

New

Post by katie96 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:48 am

Hi guys - congrats to all the incoming 1Ls at Fordham :D I am applying this cycle & am wondering if most of you are attending at sticker, because I hear Fordham is pretty stingy with money (not to bash the school at all, they just do not have a lot of it to give, from what I understand). I'm curious because with my numbers & desire to be in NYC, Fordham seems like a good match. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:41 am

katie96 wrote:Hi guys - congrats to all the incoming 1Ls at Fordham :D I am applying this cycle & am wondering if most of you are attending at sticker, because I hear Fordham is pretty stingy with money (not to bash the school at all, they just do not have a lot of it to give, from what I understand). I'm curious because with my numbers & desire to be in NYC, Fordham seems like a good match. Thanks!
I think a lot of people are paying sticker, or close to it. You have to decide for yourself whether that's worth it or not. If you asked about NYLS, the answer would obviously be HELL NO NOT WORTH IT, haha. But Fordham is much trickier. Some people think it's worth it, others don't.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:48 am

Gemini wrote:
katie96 wrote:Hi guys - congrats to all the incoming 1Ls at Fordham :D I am applying this cycle & am wondering if most of you are attending at sticker, because I hear Fordham is pretty stingy with money (not to bash the school at all, they just do not have a lot of it to give, from what I understand). I'm curious because with my numbers & desire to be in NYC, Fordham seems like a good match. Thanks!
I think a lot of people are paying sticker, or close to it. You have to decide for yourself whether that's worth it or not. If you asked about NYLS, the answer would obviously be HELL NO NOT WORTH IT, haha. But Fordham is much trickier. Some people think it's worth it, others don't.
+1

Only about 40% of full time students get any aid at all, and the majority of that is $5-10k. So at least you can take comfort in knowing everyone else is in the same or similar boat. It's still a huge risk, but at least you'll have a very reputable school on your resume to help you down the road. But of course there's a little bit of selection bias in the responses since you're asking in the Fordham 2014 thread.

katie96

New

Post by katie96 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:06 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Gemini wrote:
+1

Only about 40% of full time students get any aid at all, and the majority of that is $5-10k. So at least you can take comfort in knowing everyone else is in the same or similar boat. It's still a huge risk, but at least you'll have a very reputable school on your resume to help you down the road. But of course there's a little bit of selection bias in the responses since you're asking in the Fordham 2014 thread.

True, but you guys are the ones enrolled so I'd rather the answers come from you than anyone else, regardless of bias. It is a bit comforting to know that most classmates would be taking on the same risk as me if I am granted admission to Fordham and decide to attend. I do agree that Fordham has a great rep and hope to be accepted this cycle!

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 pm

blacklawboss wrote:I can't find mine :shock: I hope it's because they didn't put up the evening students as of yet.....
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. But I'm evening and mine's posted. There's a little step by step above for how to find it. My first try didn't show anything but I went about it differently and did find it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”