Fordham Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dufftheyounger

New

Fordham Class of 2014

Post by dufftheyounger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:37 am

Hi all! I figure that I might as well start a thread for Fordham Law and all who are interested.

I was accepted in early October and got a scholarship offer earlier this week. A nice scholarship offer actually. Considering my luck in the last cycle (12 waitlist, 2 rejections, 0 acceptances by September) and the fact that I fell in love with the school earlier this year (it's awesome, go visit, makes Columbia look like the deepest layer of academic hell), it looks like I will be enrolling come the spring.

The job market is a nightmare out there and it has made the admissions process absurdly competitive this year. So good luck to everyone and I hope to see you in August!

2011Cycle

Bronze

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Post by 2011Cycle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:55 am

dufftheyounger wrote:Hi all! I figure that I might as well start a thread for Fordham Law and all who are interested.

I was accepted in early October and got a scholarship offer earlier this week. A nice scholarship offer actually. Considering my luck in the last cycle (12 waitlist, 2 rejections, 0 acceptances by September) and the fact that I fell in love with the school earlier this year (it's awesome, go visit, makes Columbia look like the deepest layer of academic hell), it looks like I will be enrolling come the spring.

The job market is a nightmare out there and it has made the admissions process absurdly competitive this year. So good luck to everyone and I hope to see you in August!
Did you apply to Fordham last cycle as well? If not, what motivated the application this cycle? If so, did you market yourself differently? thanks

dufftheyounger

New

Post by dufftheyounger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:05 am

2011Cycle wrote:
Did you apply to Fordham last cycle as well? If not, what motivated the application this cycle? If so, did you market yourself differently? thanks
No, didn't apply to Fordham last year, but i was kicking myself last summer when i realized how good that school is (most graduates are hired by the same firms as Ivy League grads) in spite of its ranking. I was caught in a paperwork mess when my LORs were sent back by the LSAC because my professors did not sign them, which meant that the schools that I applied to did not receive my full credentials until early December, which was right around the time that all of these schools became overenrolled.

Also, I wrote my original personal statement about being tear gassed by riot police at a G20 summit. Probably not a good idea in retrospect. I treated the current one as if it were a cover letter for a job: listed my accomplishments, experience, explained why I was an incredible, once in a generation applicant, and kissed a lot of tail. It seemed to have worked much better. I would recommend, if you haven't done this already, to tailor your personal statements to the specific school you're applying to. The catch all letter will look like a catch all letter, so it's worth the extra time and effort.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 am

dufftheyounger wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
No, didn't apply to Fordham last year, but i was kicking myself last summer when i realized how good that school is (most graduates are hired by the same firms as Ivy League grads) in spite of its ranking. I was caught in a paperwork mess when my LORs were sent back by the LSAC because my professors did not sign them, which meant that the schools that I applied to did not receive my full credentials until early December, which was right around the time that all of these schools became overenrolled.

Also, I wrote my original personal statement about being tear gassed by riot police at a G20 summit. Probably not a good idea in retrospect. I treated the current one as if it were a cover letter for a job: listed my accomplishments, experience, explained why I was an incredible, once in a generation applicant, and kissed a lot of tail. It seemed to have worked much better. I would recommend, if you haven't done this already, to tailor your personal statements to the specific school you're applying to. The catch all letter will look like a catch all letter, so it's worth the extra time and effort.
Thanks. I've applied this cycle and from public information, if one is interested in commercial law, Fordham holds it's own in the NYC market. I am older so would probably be shut of of biglaw due to age. Nevertheless, Fordham is in my top 5. I've been accepted to Texas at sticker.

mrwest630

New

Post by mrwest630 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:34 pm

How long did it take from going under review on their status checker until you received your decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawDog2010

New

Post by LawDog2010 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 am

Congrats, top notch school.

dufftheyounger

New

Post by dufftheyounger » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:31 pm

mrwest630 wrote:How long did it take from going under review on their status checker until you received your decision?
It took about three weeks. But that was back in September so I have no clue as to how long you could expect the process to take now that we are in December. For other schools, I have been listed as under review on the status checker for approximately 3 months. I think it helps if you visit the school in person. I visited Fordham about a week and a half after I applied and they told me that mine was one in ten applications they had received thus far, so that explains the quick lay away. Also, I'm pretty certain that once the review board saw that I had a personal interest in the school they began to review my application almost immediately.

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:20 pm

has anyone who has gotten in within the past week or so gotten any aid? when should we expect to see if we did, and when will get access to the admitted student website?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 pm

akcorps wrote:has anyone who has gotten in within the past week or so gotten any aid? when should we expect to see if we did, and when will get access to the admitted student website?
No aid, no access, but a nice email from Ms. Espirtu telling me that the Admitted Students page was not ready yet and more information would be forthcoming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:48 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
akcorps wrote:has anyone who has gotten in within the past week or so gotten any aid? when should we expect to see if we did, and when will get access to the admitted student website?
No aid, no access, but a nice email from Ms. Espirtu telling me that the Admitted Students page was not ready yet and more information would be forthcoming.
Same here. :)

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:31 pm

I see LSN has some people getting merit $ at this point. Should I assume that I am not getting any if I haven't heard yet? I am not sure I want to pay sticker for Fordham, even going part-time, so this is a big consideration for me. Anyone else in this same situation?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:46 pm

akcorps wrote:I see LSN has some people getting merit $ at this point. Should I assume that I am not getting any if I haven't heard yet? I am not sure I want to pay sticker for Fordham, even going part-time, so this is a big consideration for me. Anyone else in this same situation?
No. A handful of people received acceptances in early October but then received information regarding aid later in the month.

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks Lwoods, that's reassuring. However, I am getting the feeling that I will not be offered any.

I am starting to rethink Fordham overall anyway, even at a reduced pricetag. I know it goes against the grain here, but I am an older student, and the career flexibility that would come from another NY school offering me better aid is weighing heavily on my mind. My prelaw adviser went to St. John's on a full scholly and worked in biglaw before deciding to go into academia (UG advisement/teaching). A former business partner of mine also went to St. John's entirely paid for and is finishing a 2 year clerkship. I personally wouldn't want to be out in Queens, but there are other alternatives. I just feel like Fordham's aid is stingy without any good reason for it being like that way.

That being said, I think it's a fine school and if I was at a different stage in my life I would probably be all in for paying sticker. I am still waiting to hear from some lower ranked schools anyway. I have a lot to think about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:15 pm

akcorps wrote:Thanks Lwoods, that's reassuring. However, I am getting the feeling that I will not be offered any.

I am starting to rethink Fordham overall anyway, even at a reduced pricetag. I know it goes against the grain here, but I am an older student, and the career flexibility that would come from another NY school offering me better aid is weighing heavily on my mind. My prelaw adviser went to St. John's on a full scholly and worked in biglaw before deciding to go into academia (UG advisement/teaching). A former business partner of mine also went to St. John's entirely paid for and is finishing a 2 year clerkship. I personally wouldn't want to be out in Queens, but there are other alternatives. I just feel like Fordham's aid is stingy without any good reason for it being like that way.

That being said, I think it's a fine school and if I was at a different stage in my life I would probably be all in for paying sticker. I am still waiting to hear from some lower ranked schools anyway. I have a lot to think about.
Would you want to do Fordham PT? That could help because you'd still have your income.

I don't think St. John's is what is used to be and would caution against it. A friend of a friend is there on substantial scholarship, and the job outlook is bleak. I know that's a weak single data point argument, but Fordham can open a lot more doors.

Maybe a better compromise if Fordham doesn't give you the aid you need/want would be Cardozo. It also seems to be losing respect in the legal community, but at least it's in Manhattan ;) (and is still held in higher regard than St. John's).

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, but my case is pretty unique. I support myself and my wife, we both have student loans (she just got one masters and is thinking of pursuing another), and neither of us is going to get any family support, so PT is pretty much a necessity.

St John's not what it used to be? My friend graduated last year, and again is a judicial clerk who also got an offer in midlaw post-crash. On the other hand, he is in a similar position to myself: in his 30s, a former a co-owner in a business, had extensive leadership experience, and worked in another challenging and (sometimes) billable hour profession (advertising). I think 0Ls and law students are very gullible sometimes when it comes to believing that credentials rule the market. It is simply not true. Joe Biden went to Villanova, for example, Donald Trump's sister who is a federal appeals justice went to HofsTTTra (note irony). For that matter so did Gov. Patterson, but then he isn't exactly the greatest leader ever, is he?

The point is that life is what you make it, and everyone is facing a bleak job outlook. Have you talked to a nursing grad anytime recently? Several years ago there was shouting about the dearth of nursing grads, but then so many people went to school to become nurses that the wages went into steep decline. That's the way things work, you have to ride these things out. The problem is do I want to go to Fordham, get 140K in debt (part-time no less) on top of my UG loans (not bad, but still making this an even larger burden), and work at a job I may or may not enjoy long enough to work off my loans and then find an exit? Or do I go to school to become a lawyer and not have to worry about debt loads? I think if you are seriously thinking that you get taught something substantially different in your school as opposed to any other, you are wrong. It is only the other people you are around that are different.

But... as I have said in other threads, my prelaw adviser told me that going into a second or third tier as a full ride student is a very different experience than going in without one. You are singled out as the best of the best. Professors meet with you regularly and there are incentives given to you in order to help you maintain your status at the top of the class. All this nonsense about the school discouraging scholly students from maintaining them sounds like some kind of Dr. Evil fantasy to me. Why would any school want this? Because they want to pull your scholly? Give me a break, they offer it to you so you will be at the top of your class and hopefully make partner at some point in the future and give back generously.

Cardozo is a thought, but being in Manhattan as opposed to Bk Heights means very little to me. Standing in an old man profession that is changing rapidly also means little to me. This is our time to reconfigure law because we will be the ones who make it what we want it to be. As there are more law schools than ever before, I suspect it will become more like any (finance excluded) profession where talent is rewarded over lockstep promotions and crippling overwork.

In the end, I just don't know what it is that I want, but I am sure it will all make more sense once I have offers, schollys, etc. Besides, I fully plan on working acceptances with scholly at peer schools to my advantage if that becomes a possibility. There is just too much to think about to make a decision at this time.

dufftheyounger

New

Post by dufftheyounger » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Any news on when the website is going to be running? I haven't gotten any word via email.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi, I decided to join this thread.

I'm not 100% sure I'll be going to Fordham, but barring an acceptance from my number 1s, this is where I will go. I do like Fordham and am excited to see what happens.

Anyway going to the info session on 12/21? I am!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote: Anyway going to the info session on 12/21? I am!

I suck at applying to law school, I had no idea that there was an info session planned. I am a Jersey bot so it would be silly not to go.

Congrats on your admission btw. I saw on the other thread that you were looking at BC/BU. Have you visited them yet? I got a horrible feeling from BC, so much so that I did not apply even though I am a big fan of the Boston (in non-sports matters only).

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:48 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote: Anyway going to the info session on 12/21? I am!

I suck at applying to law school, I had no idea that there was an info session planned. I am a Jersey bot so it would be silly not to go.

Congrats on your admission btw. I saw on the other thread that you were looking at BC/BU. Have you visited them yet? I got a horrible feeling from BC, so much so that I did not apply even though I am a big fan of the Boston (in non-sports matters only).
I will visit only if accepted. I am not rolling in teh dough. :)

And the info session:

http://law2.fordham.edu/ihtml/cal-2uwcp ... mplate=cal

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:07 pm

I do not know what your definition of "rolling in the dough" is, or where your coming from, but you can take the Bolt Bus for around $30 for a round trip, cheaper if you book waaaay in advance. At minimum a trip to Boston is a helluva a good time, and if you visit a few law schools you can justify the time and expense.

Trying to arrange a trip down to DC and NC for the same reasons, but mass transit seems rough to duke. I did it once and the Greyhound was like $175 and the bus was filled with smelly jarheards. I took the plane home to EWR and Greyhound refunded me in a voucher.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I do not know what your definition of "rolling in the dough" is, or where your coming from, but you can take the Bolt Bus for around $30 for a round trip, cheaper if you book waaaay in advance. At minimum a trip to Boston is a helluva a good time, and if you visit a few law schools you can justify the time and expense.

Trying to arrange a trip down to DC and NC for the same reasons, but mass transit seems rough to duke. I did it once and the Greyhound was like $175 and the bus was filled with smelly jarheards. I took the plane home to EWR and Greyhound refunded me in a voucher.
Thanks for the info. Bolt bus... I'll check it out. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

No problem. I believe thats what strangers on the internet are for.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:28 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

No problem. I believe thats what strangers on the internet are for.
$1 tickets? What's the catch?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
$1 tickets? What's the catch?
Its like one seat a day so you have to be 6 months in advance. Normally its like ten to twenty

dufftheyounger

New

Post by dufftheyounger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 am

So anyway, I keep getting emails from Cumberland Law and Regent (whatever the hell that school is) going on about how I should waste my time and money filling out an application and diving head first into my exciting future career as a respected ambulance chaser. I finally replied with this:

Dear Admissions Office of Cumberland Law School,

Please, for the love of God, stop sending me newsletters. I decided to give up on law school and join the circus. My best talent is juggling so it seems like a good career move. Unless you offer a course in Clown Law, I am uninterested.

Regards,
Joseph Duffy

Now the real question is, if they do offer a specific course in Circus Law or any variation, should I go ahead and apply?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”