Penn Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
silly101

Bronze

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Post by silly101 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:19 pm

khodorko wrote:Did you guys already all book rooms for the weekend?

yup yup
got my confirmation this morning

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Book rooms? You mean...sign up for student hosts? I've got to ask for those going the hotel route, what's your motivation? The only pro's I can think of are privacy and flexibility vs. con's of paying and getting to meet one less person/see one less potential living situation. For me it really comes down to paying (although the new friend aspect is nice), but what do those of you booking hotels value?

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm

swampthang wrote:
Book rooms? You mean...sign up for student hosts? I've got to ask for those going the hotel route, what's your motivation? The only pro's I can think of are privacy and flexibility vs. con's of paying and getting to meet one less person/see one less potential living situation. For me it really comes down to paying (although the new friend aspect is nice), but what do those of you booking hotels value?
Personally, I want the independence of it. I stayed with a student host when I visited undergrad at USC and I wanted to go out and explore but the other people staying with my host were more mellow and did not want to stay out late.

I want to go out in Philly after the ASW mixer on Friday night and do not want to be at the behest of the person I'm staying with. On that note, they only let me book a room with a double bed so anybody is welcome to crash if needed :D

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:23 pm

khodorko wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Personally, I want the independence of it. I stayed with a student host when I visited undergrad at USC and I wanted to go out and explore but the other people staying with my host were more mellow and did not want to stay out late.

I want to go out in Philly after the ASW mixer on Friday night and do not want to be at the behest of the person I'm staying with. On that note, they only let me book a room with a double bed so anybody is welcome to crash if needed :D
Hahaha Penn TLSers - getting cuddly from the get-go!!! :wink:

wackyjack22

New

Post by wackyjack22 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

khodorko wrote:
swampthang wrote:

Lets be honest, I'm probably going to end up on your floor. I have a room but if I go out afterwards my dad is not the person I want to come back to in the early morning hours. Haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:18 pm

No need for the floor, there's an extra BED, duh!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 pm

LA reception is less than a week away!!! Who else is going?

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 pm

khodorko wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
law_monkey wrote:1000th post!!! I wanted to celebrate here since Penn's my law school obsession!!! Special <3s to Azn, Philly, Dulc, and Habit for making this whole process less stressful and way more fun!!! :D
STRESS

FUN!

Only 5 weeks till we can all get wasted together at Penn ASW!
Haha this is why we're going to be friends WHEN WE'RE BOTH AT PENN!!! :mrgreen:
Um I haven't been on here in a while but I'm DEFINITELY in on this wasted at Penn business.
Ooh me too! Might as well have fun while we don't have to worry about class

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:LA reception is less than a week away!!! Who else is going?
me me!

well if my professor moves my presentation date, ugh!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:43 pm

silly101 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:LA reception is less than a week away!!! Who else is going?
me me!

well if my professor moves my presentation date, ugh!
Ewww. :( I have a Monday night class too, but nothing important's happening so I'm skipping. Not that I pay attention in class this semester anyway.

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 am

Is anybody else going to the one in SF on Friday?

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:10 am

I'm most likely going to be there at the LA reception.

I should also probably get on that booking a room thing for the weekend of ASW

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Dear Penn,

I'm pretty sure the entire world, including you, knows by now that I am unhealthily obsessed with you. However, certain pieces of information have come to light. You know, the ones involving money. While I know you do not consider Duke a peer, I still think quite highly of it. I now have 90k from them. I know you think NYU's a peer, and some say that it's better. I am now an AnBryce finalist there. That's right, Penn. It's a full ride. So if you could please be so kind to make sure I get a very generous package from you, it would be greatly appreciated. DON'T MAKE ME SAY NO TO MY DREAM SCHOOL!!! It will make me :shock: and then :evil: and finally :cry:

Quite possibly your biggest fan,

law_monkey

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:43 pm

law_monkey wrote:Dear Penn,

I'm pretty sure the entire world, including you, knows by now that I am unhealthily obsessed with you. However, certain pieces of information have come to light. You know, the ones involving money. While I know you do not consider Duke a peer, I still think quite highly of it. I now have 90k from them. I know you think NYU's a peer, and some say that it's better. I am now an AnBryce finalist there. That's right, Penn. It's a full ride. So if you could please be so kind to make sure I get a very generous package from you, it would be greatly appreciated. DON'T MAKE ME SAY NO TO MY DREAM SCHOOL!!! It will make me :shock: and then :evil: and finally :cry:

law_monkey
aww I'm sure Penn, being as awesome as it is, will come through for you (and me too!)

congrats on the anbryce!!!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Dear Penn,

law_monkey
aww I'm sure Penn, being as awesome as it is, will come through for you (and me too!)

congrats on the anbryce!!!
Thanks! And I hope so! I'm probably complaining for nothing. I mean, I have the money from Duke, but I might not get the AnBryce (and statistically speaking, chances are that I won't), so I will just have to take what I get from Penn anyway. And I sound like a spoiled brat when I complain about schollies from other schools anyway lol. And I hope Penn comes through for you too!!! :D

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:36 am

Can anyone speak to the on campus graduate dorms? I am feeling that it may be an easier transition for me if I just live on campus for the first year were I to attend Penn.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Can anyone speak to the on campus graduate dorms? I am feeling that it may be an easier transition for me if I just live on campus for the first year were I to attend Penn.
(Non-renovated) ones are shitty and a bit pricey but are right next to the law school. You think the first two factors would matter more but as a 1L you will learn better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Veyron wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:Can anyone speak to the on campus graduate dorms? I am feeling that it may be an easier transition for me if I just live on campus for the first year were I to attend Penn.
(Non-renovated) ones are shitty and a bit pricey but are right next to the law school. You think the first two factors would matter more but as a 1L you will learn better.
Really? I know that we'll be using the library A LOT, but I've heard some really bad things about them. Are the living spaces in them pretty small? And do you know if you room with another law student, or are people randomly matched.?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:45 pm

How nice an area is Rittenhouse square? I've been told that it's the Philly's version of NYC's union square. True or false?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:33 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Really? I know that we'll be using the library A LOT, but I've heard some really bad things about them. Are the living spaces in them pretty small? And do you know if you room with another law student, or are people randomly matched.?
They aren't that small by east coast big city standards. You can get your own apt or get your own room in an apt. They just haven't been renovated since the 70s. If you don't mind walking 5 extra minutes to get to class you can live in chestnut hall or the building across the street from it for cheaper than the dorms. Those buildings are much nicer, though I hear that the fire alarm in chestnut hall goes off frequently.
How nice an area is Rittenhouse square? I've been told that it's the Philly's version of NYC's union square. True or false?
Rittenhouse square is very nice. Its. . . different than Union Square.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:27 am

Veyron wrote:
Thanks for the info. I assume you lived in the dorms your 1L year? Are the students in these dorms overwhelmingly law students?

Also, can you speak to Penn's networking with D.C. firms? I am still leaning toward UVA because of what seems to be great ties with D.C. firms, but Penn has gained my attention quite a bit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
Also, can you speak to Penn's networking with D.C. firms? I am still leaning toward UVA because of what seems to be great ties with D.C. firms, but Penn has gained my attention quite a bit.
I actually want to know more about Penn's DC placement too. Do any of the current students know of PI people finding success with DC employers?

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 am

looking for info on the grad housing too

if you could redo, would you still have chosen the grad housing?

leaning heavily towards living there because its close to the library haha

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 am

silly101 wrote:looking for info on the grad housing too

if you could redo, would you still have chosen the grad housing?

leaning heavily towards living there because its close to the library haha
If I could re-do I WOULD have done the grad housing. I would much rather have been closer to school and the library.

As far as D.C., its not really my target market. D.C. is always tough to crack. Several of our professors worked at really prestigious D.C. firms/agencies prior to academia so I'm sure if you made a good impression they could guide you in the right directions. I know one first year professor who fits the bill is trying to organize a sort of thing where he brings in his contacts from D.C. to introduce students in his class to they type of work down there and sort of help them if they want to move into his D.C. centric area of law.

As far as PI, finding that sort of gig in D.C. is going to be a very self directed affair at almost any school.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Any word on the Levy?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”