Penn Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
law_monkey

Gold

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

swampthang wrote:
I suppose we have vastly differing definitions of the word "best". Besides, I'll put my hypothetical future non-$C study group up against yours any day. Not a Bruin, but who knew you'd been trailing the boys from Pasadena until this year? I guess that academic battle's been about as competitive as Kiffen's squad will be once scholarship reductions actually hit.
Anyone associated with USC will admit that legacy used to be a lot more important than academic record, but since that's changed we've been gaining in the rankings faster and farther than practically any other school. I would rather be a part of the school that turned its standards around, works hard, and rebuilds its reputation than the one that sits near the top for years before slowly sliding backwards. Also, it looks like the sanctions aren't as detrimental as predicted (http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/). One more season and we'll be back in action stronger than ever!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am

law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:
I suppose we have vastly differing definitions of the word "best". Besides, I'll put my hypothetical future non-$C study group up against yours any day. Not a Bruin, but who knew you'd been trailing the boys from Pasadena until this year? I guess that academic battle's been about as competitive as Kiffen's squad will be once scholarship reductions actually hit.
Anyone associated with USC will admit that legacy used to be a lot more important than academic record, but since that's changed we've been gaining in the rankings faster and farther than practically any other school. I would rather be a part of the school that turned its standards around, works hard, and rebuilds its reputation than the one that sits near the top for years before slowly sliding backwards. Also, it looks like the sanctions aren't as detrimental as predicted (http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/). One more season and we'll be back in action stronger than ever!
Ah, but that's assuming you can only pick between the two options you listed which is a bit of a straw man! As for football, you seem to have misunderstood the sanctions: since $C is appealing them, they're on hold for a year. Appeals have about a 1 in 10 success rate, so once the original sanctions are upheld and put into effect the Trogans will be facing at minimum, a 40% reduction in scholarship recruits over the next three years which means by 2014 they'll have maybe 50-55 scholarship players on the roster? If you went 8-5 with zero scholarship reductions, I shudder to think what that sort of downgrade in talent will do to the program.

Don't get me wrong, I think the NCAA acted in a largely unprecedented and inconsistent manner (see: Auburn- punishment: none), but I guess it's fitting in light of how Pom-Pom Pete openly flouted any semblance of rules or regulations. Back to the topic at hand, how cool is Penn? Anyone else excited for that Saturday morning pre-trolley ride run?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:09 pm

swampthang wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Ah, but that's assuming you can only pick between the two options you listed which is a bit of a straw man! As for football, you seem to have misunderstood the sanctions: since $C is appealing them, they're on hold for a year. Appeals have about a 1 in 10 success rate, so once the original sanctions are upheld and put into effect the Trogans will be facing at minimum, a 40% reduction in scholarship recruits over the next three years which means by 2014 they'll have maybe 50-55 scholarship players on the roster? If you went 8-5 with zero scholarship reductions, I shudder to think what that sort of downgrade in talent will do to the program.

Don't get me wrong, I think the NCAA acted in a largely unprecedented and inconsistent manner (see: Auburn- punishment: none), but I guess it's fitting in light of how Pom-Pom Pete openly flouted any semblance of rules or regulations. Back to the topic at hand, how cool is Penn? Anyone else excited for that Saturday morning pre-trolley ride run?
Actually I didn't misunderstand anything. I've been following this whole thing since day one (as every die hard Trojan fan has), and I know what's going on. Also, there are two different cases when we're talking two different schools, so that's not overlooking the hundreds of other choices a college applicant has. Anyway, if you want to continue your randomly placed bash session, there's this great area on TLS known as the lounge. Feel free to take your attacks there rather than the thread created to show excitement over a really awesome law school.

To everyone else: ONLY ONE MONTH AND A WEEK UNTIL ASW!!!!!! SOOOOO EXCITED. And does anyone know what the weather will be like then? Will it still be fairly cold, or will spring be on its way? Either way I'm pumped, but I don't know what clothes to wear!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 pm

law_monkey wrote: To everyone else: ONLY ONE MONTH AND A WEEK UNTIL ASW!!!!!! SOOOOO EXCITED. And does anyone know what the weather will be like then? Will it still be fairly cold, or will spring be on its way? Either way I'm pumped, but I don't know what clothes to wear!
It's 65 today.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote: To everyone else: ONLY ONE MONTH AND A WEEK UNTIL ASW!!!!!! SOOOOO EXCITED. And does anyone know what the weather will be like then? Will it still be fairly cold, or will spring be on its way? Either way I'm pumped, but I don't know what clothes to wear!
It's 65 today.
REALLY??? It's basically the same temperature in LA today. Soooo weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It's 65 today.
The all time high today is like 67 :lol: Fooled ya!

Expect mid 50's or so in a month (lows in high 30's). Jacket weather.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It's 65 today.
The all time high today is like 67 :lol: Fooled ya!

Expect mid 50's or so in a month (lows in high 30's). Jacket weather.
Sweeeeeeet! That's even better than Nebraska! It kind of starts warming up in March there, but there's usually another major snow storm that hits and cools things down again for a while. Another check in my I <3 Penn column! :D

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:

Actually I didn't misunderstand anything. I've been following this whole thing since day one (as every die hard Trojan fan has), and I know what's going on. Also, there are two different cases when we're talking two different schools, so that's not overlooking the hundreds of other choices a college applicant has. Anyway, if you want to continue your randomly placed bash session, there's this great area on TLS known as the lounge. Feel free to take your attacks there rather than the thread created to show excitement over a really awesome law school.

To everyone else: ONLY ONE MONTH AND A WEEK UNTIL ASW!!!!!! SOOOOO EXCITED. And does anyone know what the weather will be like then? Will it still be fairly cold, or will spring be on its way? Either way I'm pumped, but I don't know what clothes to wear!
I'm confused then why you think a good recruiting class this year somehow indicates that the sanctions will not be detrimental since scholarship reductions were not in effect this year. And if you think a few harmless jabs about your alma mater constitute a "bash session", I hate to see how you feel about cold calls next year.

Has anyone heard anything about student hosts for ASW yet? The schedule they put online looks staggeringly full. But if the 1L on this thread earlier was telling the truth, should be a fun weekend, even if the temperature does dip down. Is anyone else looking forward to ASWs more for the social aspect than anything else? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see the schools and listen to profs and admins tell us useful information, but I feel most of that can be found pretty readily online. So for me, it's really about having a good time where I might be doing so for the next 3 years. Does anyone else feel similarly? And R6, you don't count since we know you've already got Philly locked down.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 pm

swampthang wrote:
I'm confused then why you think a good recruiting class this year somehow indicates that the sanctions will not be detrimental since scholarship reductions were not in effect this year. And if you think a few harmless jabs about your alma mater constitute a "bash session", I hate to see how you feel about cold calls next year.
No problem with jabs at my school. I go back and forth with my UCLA friends all the time (who I feel are fully entitled to bash USC fwiw), and it's all in good fun. However, I do have a problem with people who go out of their way to post irrelevant insults. Just fyi:
Forum Title wrote:Penn Law Class of 2014

HTH. I am all for discussing housing, ASW, classes, profs, and all the other great aspects of U Penn/Philly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

once i get my student host, do you think it is reasonable to ask to stay an extra night before ASW with the person?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:36 pm

silly101 wrote:once i get my student host, do you think it is reasonable to ask to stay an extra night before ASW with the person?
Are you staying through Sunday? They had the option to sign up for the 24th, but I don't know about Saturday night. I don't think it would hurt to ask. Or if you really feel uncomfortable you can ask if they know of a good hotel to stay Saturday night. At the worst they'll say I don't know, but they might suggest somewhere cheap and nice and/or tell you it's no problem to crash on their couch for another night.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:39 pm

silly101 wrote:once i get my student host, do you think it is reasonable to ask to stay an extra night before ASW with the person?
I would definitely ask. If Penn students are collegial as they're made out to be, I'm sure they'll help you out. And as they say, it never hurts to ask.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 pm

law_monkey wrote: No problem with jabs at my school. I go back and forth with my UCLA friends all the time (who I feel are fully entitled to bash USC fwiw), and it's all in good fun. However, I do have a problem with people who go out of their way to post irrelevant insults. Just fyi:

HTH. I am all for discussing housing, ASW, classes, profs, and all the other great aspects of U Penn/Philly.
You could make a full-time job of calling out threads that have veered off from their stated title. Not relevant. At all. Furthermore, getting to know your classmates is a pretty important part of your 3 years at law school, so I hardly see my inquiries into your love for Tommy Trojan as beyond the scope of material that could be expected for a "Penn Law Class of 2014" discussion. Just fyi. HTH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 pm

--ImageRemoved--

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:54 pm

swampthang wrote:
law_monkey wrote: No problem with jabs at my school. I go back and forth with my UCLA friends all the time (who I feel are fully entitled to bash USC fwiw), and it's all in good fun. However, I do have a problem with people who go out of their way to post irrelevant insults. Just fyi:

You could make a full-time job of calling out threads that have veered off from their stated title. Not relevant. At all. Furthermore, getting to know your classmates is a pretty important part of your 3 years at law school, so I hardly see my inquiries into your love for Tommy Trojan as beyond the scope of material that could be expected for a "Penn Law Class of 2014" discussion. Just fyi. HTH.
I went to a really sucky high school that had no sports champions or school spirit or anything. They literally bulldozed down the middle of a cornfield and plopped a school there. When I got to college and heard about some of my other friends' experiences, I was really sad that I could care less about my high school and felt that I had an inadequate education there (not just because of the lack of school spirit but because it really was a terrible school). A huge part of my love for USC is the amount of school spirit and emphasis on the Trojan family that helps most people feel involved and part of a community right away. So yes, I will argue until I'm blue in the face about how much I love my school because that loyalty is something I've really come to value. I will definitely be the same with whatever law school I end up at. Just a little tidbit about your potential future classmate. :D

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm

law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:

I went to a really sucky high school that had no sports champions or school spirit or anything. They literally bulldozed down the middle of a cornfield and plopped a school there. When I got to college and heard about some of my other friends' experiences, I was really sad that I could care less about my high school and felt that I had an inadequate education there (not just because of the lack of school spirit but because it really was a terrible school). A huge part of my love for USC is the amount of school spirit and emphasis on the Trojan family that helps most people feel involved and part of a community right away. So yes, I will argue until I'm blue in the face about how much I love my school because that loyalty is something I've really come to value. I will definitely be the same with whatever law school I end up at. Just a little tidbit about your potential future classmate. :D
A very classy answer. I went to a pretty craptacular high school so I can relate some. My best friend and I were the only two who got out, so we often joke about how absurd it will be when we go back to our 10-year reunion. I doubt you'll change my deep-seated (or is it seeded? I honestly don't know and think you could make an argument either way) and passionate disdain for $C, but maybe I'll still buy you a drink come ASW. So what's the deal with this Bar Review Thursday? Do we get free booze like at NYU and UChi?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 pm

swampthang wrote:
I would definitely ask. If Penn students are collegial as they're made out to be, I'm sure they'll help you out. And as they say, it never hurts to ask.
Most of us are :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm

swampthang wrote:
A very classy answer. I went to a pretty craptacular high school so I can relate some. My best friend and I were the only two who got out, so we often joke about how absurd it will be when we go back to our 10-year reunion. I doubt you'll change my deep-seated (or is it seeded? I honestly don't know and think you could make an argument either way) and passionate disdain for $C, but maybe I'll still buy you a drink come ASW. So what's the deal with this Bar Review Thursday? Do we get free booze like at NYU and UChi?
Haha definitely not looking to change anyone's mind. We're definitely one of those love 'em or hate 'em schools. I have a few schools myself that there's no way I will ever even slightly like. And you won't have to buy anyone a drink if there is free alcohol, which I'm guessing (hoping) there will be since that seems to be the trend.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:35 pm

law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Haha definitely not looking to change anyone's mind. We're definitely one of those love 'em or hate 'em schools. I have a few schools myself that there's no way I will ever even slightly like. And you won't have to buy anyone a drink if there is free alcohol, which I'm guessing (hoping) there will be since that seems to be the trend.
Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 pm

swampthang wrote: Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.
Alcohol at Penn is almost always free, I can't even imagine they don't have it for ASW.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote: Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.
Alcohol at Penn is almost always free, I can't even imagine they don't have it for ASW.
:lol:
swampthang wrote:Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.
The obvious answer there is UCLA. Can't live with them, but then I guess I can't live without them either since then the biggest rival would be gone. Also Notre Dame because we have the longstanding football rivalry with them too. I'm also generally annoyed by LSU because a lot of the time they do a lot of USC hate in the media and we never play them. They're insignificant to us, so a lot of us wonder about their Trojan obsession. That's more annoyance than hate though. So yeah, most of my school dislikes are born out of sports, but that's probably because it's so easy to get fired up about that stuff. And the schools at home (Nebraska) are fine if you want to stay in Nebraska, but I didn't which is why I left. I guess I do have a deep dislike of UNL just because my mom always watched the Husker games when I was little, and I thought football was boring and pointless and didn't understand why my mom cared so much. Oh how the times have changed...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:00 pm

swampthang wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.
I got sloshed last year at the wine mess. Proven wrong :D

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm

violaboy wrote:
Wine mess?? Isn't that a Chicago thing? What day was it on so I can plan my trip accordingly!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am

swampthang wrote:
violaboy wrote:
Wine mess?? Isn't that a Chicago thing? What day was it on so I can plan my trip accordingly!
There's a Thursday night TLS social. :wink: And I think the scheduled Penn social is on Friday IIRC.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Does anyone know how high the dean's scholarships run for Penn? Is it at most 10/15k a yr? Or can they even be as high as the named ones?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”