Penn Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Celtic Bhoy

New

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Post by Celtic Bhoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41 am

Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 am

Celtic Bhoy wrote:Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?
We are going to meet up to hang out after the informal reception on Thurs. There are 2-3 bars with direct view of the front door of the law school :D I have been looking at the law school from my favorite happy hour spot for more than a decade now!

Celtic Bhoy

New

Post by Celtic Bhoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
Celtic Bhoy wrote:Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?
We are going to meet up to hang out after the informal reception on Thurs. There are 2-3 bars with direct view of the front door of the law school :D I have been looking at the law school from my favorite happy hour spot for more than a decade now!
Wow that's awesome! If it's an open thing, sign me up for the hang out! :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:02 am

Celtic Bhoy wrote:
Sure, the more the better. We will pick somewhere to go after the reception. Just come to it and hang around. I will put my username on the name tag and wear a Penn shirt so everyone can find me :)

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:07 am

r6_philly wrote:
Celtic Bhoy wrote:
Sure, the more the better. We will pick somewhere to go after the reception. Just come to it and hang around. I will put my username on the name tag and wear a Penn shirt so everyone can find me :)
I wish I could make it. I was speaking with a Penn 2L and she said ASW sold her on the school. I have a conference in D.C. that weekend. I plan to make a regular campus visit sometime soon though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
How is New Deck (or any of those other across-the-street bars) on prices? I went once, but I think my friend paid or I just can't remember- it looks a little classy for my blood.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 pm

swampthang wrote:
How is New Deck (or any of those other across-the-street bars) on prices? I went once, but I think my friend paid or I just can't remember- it looks a little classy for my blood.
New Deck's ok. Nothing on that block is going to be "good" on price. But it's not White Dog level. I go to Mad Mex mostly. I am not a tavern kind of guy.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:
New Deck's ok. Nothing on that block is going to be "good" on price. But it's not White Dog level. I go to Mad Mex mostly. I am not a tavern kind of guy.
Define "tavern". I ask because I recently debated this while walking by Cherry Street Tavern and an argument starting over whether tavern could refer to the amount of lighting inside.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 pm

swampthang wrote:
Define "tavern". I ask because I recently debated this while walking by Cherry Street Tavern and an argument starting over whether tavern could refer to the amount of lighting inside.
haha lightning, decor, and atmosphere. So patrons too. You know how a Irish Pub is an Irish Pub and a sports bar is a sports bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 pm

so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 pm

swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?
I have been pretty interested in 2400 Chestnut, largely cause it feels like the best compromise. It is close enough to the school that you make it there in 10 minutes, but close enough to say the Rittenhouse Square area that you could get there in 10 minutes too.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 am

swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

University city and its not even close. You can worry about having fun as a 2L

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

swampthang wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:
This lighting question is relevant to my interests.

Also, it occured to me that I haven't yet RSVPed to the unofficial TLS get together on Thursday! I'll be there!

Lastly, I just got an email from the Penn student who will be putting me up. So if anyone else hasn't heard yet, don't fret, they didn't forget about us.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
This lighting question is relevant to my interests.

Also, it occured to me that I haven't yet RSVPed to the unofficial TLS get together on Thursday! I'll be there!

Lastly, I just got an email from the Penn student who will be putting me up. So if anyone else hasn't heard yet, don't fret, they didn't forget about us.
Haha I will give you guys a bar tour if the hosts are not?

Look for me at the unofficial reception Thur. afternoon.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am

Veyron wrote:

I think this is a good point. Besides, it's not like UC is a ghost town or anything. Where would you reccomend in UC for maximizing safety and proximity to anything interesting when out of the library while minimizing travel time and cost? It's a tough balance to strike, but I just can't see myself paying $1,000+ for an apartment.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am

swampthang wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I think this is a good point. Besides, it's not like UC is a ghost town or anything. Where would you reccomend in UC for maximizing safety and proximity to anything interesting when out of the library while minimizing travel time and cost? It's a tough balance to strike, but I just can't see myself paying $1,000+ for an apartment.
Near the outer rim of the Penn Public Safety's patrol zone as seen on the safety publication.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Near the outer rim of the Penn Public Safety's patrol zone as seen on the safety publication.
Ok, now I just need to find this patrol map (LinkRemoved) and determine the UC equivalent of Tatooine (though sans Hutts preferably). Dang, looks like the place I was checking out is literally a block outside the PPZ. Do you think I would be bantha fodder if I were living there, r6?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

swampthang wrote:
Ok, now I just need to find this patrol map (LinkRemoved) and determine the UC equivalent of Tatooine (though sans Hutts preferably). Dang, looks like the place I was checking out is literally a block outside the PPZ. Do you think I would be bantha fodder if I were living there, r6?
You should be ok out to 46 or or, and 49th if you are right on/off Baltimore. Anything further is a little hairy. I do see Penn kids all over the place within and beyond the colored boundry, but ignorance is bliss? I lived at 49th and Springfield (right at SW color boundry) for years, it's not worth the discount. And this coming from a native low-income resident, not a Penn student at the time (I moved out of the city as soon as I could afford to).

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

The thing is, most of the livable areas west of campus in UC are farther from the law school (which is at the eastern edge of campus) than places in center city. So wouldn't that make CC more convenient?

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:The thing is, most of the livable areas west of campus in UC are farther from the law school (which is at the eastern edge of campus) than places in center city. So wouldn't that make CC more convenient?
Meh, I think if you're along the NW edge of the PPZ you're looking at about 1 mi. to the law school vs. say 1.5 from Rittenhouse Square. So more convenient (especially if you don't have a bike), and I would presume, cheaper. That's my big concern: balancing convenience, price, and safety. Thus, I can't see myself living much further west than 40th St.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:The thing is, most of the livable areas west of campus in UC are farther from the law school (which is at the eastern edge of campus) than places in center city. So wouldn't that make CC more convenient?
The law school is at 34th and Chestnut. It is actually just off center to the right in the patrol zone area on the map. Center city requires you to cross the bridge over the expressway and the river, which makes them about equal distance, if you stay within, or just beyond the patrol zone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Are there any unofficial TLS get togethers besides Thursday? (It'll be a bit tough for me to make it by then)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:07 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Are there any unofficial TLS get togethers besides Thursday? (It'll be a bit tough for me to make it by then)
Friday night dinner thing?

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm really looking forward to visiting Philly and meeting everyone next week! Definitely count me in for Thursday night!

And do any TLSers have plans during the day on Thursday? (lunch or something?) I'm getting into Philly around noon, so I'll have some time to kill before the evening events start.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:21 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I'm really looking forward to visiting Philly and meeting everyone next week! Definitely count me in for Thursday night!

And do any TLSers have plans during the day on Thursday? (lunch or something?) I'm getting into Philly around noon, so I'll have some time to kill before the evening events start.
I told law monkey as well, I work at 2nd and Chestnut (old city) so I can take a late lunch around 1 or so, and we can go over to the school together. So take your pick at lunch venues.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”