Penn Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Veyron

Gold

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Post by Veyron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Does anyone know how high the dean's scholarships run for Penn? Is it at most 10/15k a yr? Or can they even be as high as the named ones?
70k or 90k (total) methinks
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote: Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.
Alcohol at Penn is almost always free, I can't even imagine they don't have it for ASW.
Oh, they HAS it.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:38 pm

1000th post!!! I wanted to celebrate here since Penn's my law school obsession!!! Special <3s to Azn, Philly, Dulc, and Habit for making this whole process less stressful and way more fun!!! :D

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 pm

<3 <3 <3 <3 you law_monkey

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm

law_monkey wrote:1000th post!!! I wanted to celebrate here since Penn's my law school obsession!!! Special <3s to Azn, Philly, Dulc, and Habit for making this whole process less stressful and way more fun!!! :D
STRESS

FUN!

Only 5 weeks till we can all get wasted together at Penn ASW!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:33 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
law_monkey wrote:1000th post!!! I wanted to celebrate here since Penn's my law school obsession!!! Special <3s to Azn, Philly, Dulc, and Habit for making this whole process less stressful and way more fun!!! :D
STRESS

FUN!

Haha this is why we're going to be friends WHEN WE'RE BOTH AT PENN!!! :mrgreen:

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Has anyone here considered a joint degree? I'm starting to look at a JD/MGA, but am wondering how hard it would be to get accepted to the MGA program during 1L since I have come straight from UG and how that would affect my employment prospects.
Any thoughts on this or other joint degrees and their value? Do you think certificates are worth a lick?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:46 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Has anyone here considered a joint degree? I'm starting to look at a JD/MGA, but am wondering how hard it would be to get accepted to the MGA program during 1L since I have come straight from UG and how that would affect my employment prospects.
Any thoughts on this or other joint degrees and their value? Do you think certificates are worth a lick?
I am!!! I'm looking into the social work or social policy dual degrees. That or getting the nonprofit management certificate, although of course the business cert from Wharton would clearly be super practical and amazing!!

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:56 pm

law_monkey wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Has anyone here considered a joint degree? I'm starting to look at a JD/MGA, but am wondering how hard it would be to get accepted to the MGA program during 1L since I have come straight from UG and how that would affect my employment prospects.
I am!!! I'm looking into the social work or social policy dual degrees. That or getting the nonprofit management certificate, although of course the business cert from Wharton would clearly be super practical and amazing!!
I could def see how anything from Wharton would be a big boost to anyone's resume. How do you think the social work or policy degrees would work? How much attention do you think Penn would give us as joint degree candidates in terms of finding employment?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:43 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
I could def see how anything from Wharton would be a big boost to anyone's resume. How do you think the social work or policy degrees would work? How much attention do you think Penn would give us as joint degree candidates in terms of finding employment?
I don't know except I think a lot of schools assign one of their advisors to help with the joint degree students. And we would have two school's resources to utilize. Since Penn places such an emphasis on interdisciplinary learning I would expect it to be more helpful than other schools.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Any program but business and medicine is as easy as pie once you get your law school acceptance.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Veyron wrote:
Any program but business and medicine is as easy as pie once you get your law school acceptance.
Oh wow...a JD/MPP sounds pretty possible and sexy! Thanks!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:05 am

TLSNYC wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Word to the wise, however, it won't help your prospects for a firm job and you don't need it for most government jobs either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 am

Veyron wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Word to the wise, however, it won't help your prospects for a firm job and you don't need it for most government jobs either.
Which cross-disciplinary programs do help with general employment prospects?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:28 am

[/quote]

Any program but business and medicine is as easy as pie once you get your law school acceptance.[/quote]

Oh wow...a JD/MPP sounds pretty possible and sexy! Thanks![/quote]

Word to the wise, however, it won't help your prospects for a firm job and you don't need it for most government jobs either.[/quote]

Which cross-disciplinary programs do help with general employment prospects?[/quote]

General as in firm, probably none.

Wharton helps for people who want to go into a specialized field where both law and business skills are necessary.

PHD helps people who want to become professors

Other then that, don't bother.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:01 am

Heyyy, checking in. Is anyone still talking about housing/ setting up housing. Should I be signing a lease before ASW, because that seems to be the consensus I am getting. If so, I could seriously use a roomate... Taking applications.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:21 am

shanshan333 wrote:Heyyy, checking in. Is anyone still talking about housing/ setting up housing. Should I be signing a lease before ASW, because that seems to be the consensus I am getting. If so, I could seriously use a roomate... Taking applications.
I've heard that it's actually fine to wait a little longer. If I do commit though I will almost DEFINITELY be looking for a roomie! Post this again in like a month when all the non-EDers have our financial aid info haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:46 pm

law_monkey wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:Heyyy, checking in. Is anyone still talking about housing/ setting up housing. Should I be signing a lease before ASW, because that seems to be the consensus I am getting. If so, I could seriously use a roomate... Taking applications.
I've heard that it's actually fine to wait a little longer. If I do commit though I will almost DEFINITELY be looking for a roomie! Post this again in like a month when all the non-EDers have our financial aid info haha.
You're probably right, but I sure hope we don't have to wait another month for finaid! I really want to see what they give me in terms of a dean's scholarship (if anything!). Do any of you know if Penn considers scholarship offers from only HYSCCNMV in negotiating?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 am

TLSNYC wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
You're probably right, but I sure hope we don't have to wait another month for finaid! I really want to see what they give me in terms of a dean's scholarship (if anything!). Do any of you know if Penn considers scholarship offers from only HYSCCNMV in negotiating?
Anecdotaly, I hear anything "lower" doesn't carry much weight.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:18 am

Veyron wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Anecdotaly, I hear anything "lower" doesn't carry much weight.
Well then hopefully NYU is as generous with need-based schollies as the website says they are! If I can at least get some solid aid from them to run back to Penn with that would be perfect! Or Penn could always just give me a decent package to begin with...yeah right. :(

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

swampthang wrote:
violaboy wrote:
swampthang wrote: Prominence does seem to breed that love/hate polarity. What are the schools are your never-love list and why? How do you feel about schools back home? I actually think I heard that Penn isn't on the free alcohol ASW train, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. It's be great if they were-- then I could make a "Good Will Hunting"esque joke.
I got sloshed last year at the wine mess. Proven wrong :D
Wine mess?? Isn't that a Chicago thing? What day was it on so I can plan my trip accordingly!
There was one at Chicago too! I probably drank more there... They both were after all of the activities on Friday evening, before dinner. It should be on the schedule (haven't looked) along with the group booths.

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:03 pm

law_monkey wrote:
STRESS

FUN!

Um I haven't been on here in a while but I'm DEFINITELY in on this wasted at Penn business.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 pm

khodorko wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
STRESS

FUN!

Um I haven't been on here in a while but I'm DEFINITELY in on this wasted at Penn business.
YAY.

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Did you guys already all book rooms for the weekend?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”