Penn Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:25 pm

law_monkey wrote:
bdubs wrote:Checking in here
Yay! Congrats! And join the super awesome FB group! :)
Which one are you?

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 pm

YHF26 wrote:I actually didn't start looking until late June, and got a wonderful 1 bedroom apartment for $775/mo (about $815 with utilities) about a mile from the law school.
Where in Center City? That's a pretty sweet deal.

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
bdubs wrote:Checking in here
Yay! Congrats! And join the super awesome FB group! :)
Which one are you?
PM'd.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:43 pm

law_monkey wrote: PM'd.
No you didn't :wink: nevermind, grasshopper needs to be more patient.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Taaaag :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

YHF26 wrote:
czelede wrote:Also coming to say hi! I was admitted last Friday (RD) and will likely end up attending.

Some housing advice would be appreciate if any Philly dwellers have the time - I'm thinking I want to live in Center City, but as a female that will likely be living alone safety is a huge concern for me. I have a dog, which means I need to be walking her outside at least 30min to an hour everyday - obviously sometimes this will be after dark, in the winter. What areas would you recommend to stay in or away from? And is ASW early enough to start looking for apartments, or should I begin my hunt now?

r6, thanks so much for being so helpful in this thread thus far :)
As a female runner, I totally understand :) There is a wonderful bike path on the east side of the Schuykill, and I've been running there every day since August with no problems. I probably wouldn't go north of the Art Museum at night, but there's a nice stretch of about a mile where there are generally people out (at least until about 8 PM). I don't live near any of these areas, but as a gross generalization, I was advised not to go west of 45th street, north of the Vine St Expressway, or south of South Street by myself at night. I've been in some of these places by myself at night and felt fine, but if you want to be careful, those might be some good general guidelines. Hope that helps!
Thanks!

Can I ask how you found your present place? I'm not from the area (would need to fly in) so I'm trying to figure out which places to look at when/if I make it to ASW, but so far my only resources are Craigslist.

Also, can anyone speak to how early people generally sign leases? I'd like to have everything out of the way before April/May (will be traveling throughout the summer) but I know a lot of places don't even know their openings farther than 60 days in advance.

penn0Ler

New

Post by penn0Ler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 pm

czelede wrote:
YHF26 wrote:
czelede wrote:Also coming to say hi! I was admitted last Friday (RD) and will likely end up attending.

Some housing advice would be appreciate if any Philly dwellers have the time - I'm thinking I want to live in Center City, but as a female that will likely be living alone safety is a huge concern for me. I have a dog, which means I need to be walking her outside at least 30min to an hour everyday - obviously sometimes this will be after dark, in the winter. What areas would you recommend to stay in or away from? And is ASW early enough to start looking for apartments, or should I begin my hunt now?

r6, thanks so much for being so helpful in this thread thus far :)
As a female runner, I totally understand :) There is a wonderful bike path on the east side of the Schuykill, and I've been running there every day since August with no problems. I probably wouldn't go north of the Art Museum at night, but there's a nice stretch of about a mile where there are generally people out (at least until about 8 PM). I don't live near any of these areas, but as a gross generalization, I was advised not to go west of 45th street, north of the Vine St Expressway, or south of South Street by myself at night. I've been in some of these places by myself at night and felt fine, but if you want to be careful, those might be some good general guidelines. Hope that helps!
Thanks!

Can I ask how you found your present place? I'm not from the area (would need to fly in) so I'm trying to figure out which places to look at when/if I make it to ASW, but so far my only resources are Craigslist.

Also, can anyone speak to how early people generally sign leases? I'd like to have everything out of the way before April/May (will be traveling throughout the summer) but I know a lot of places don't even know their openings farther than 60 days in advance.
I went down to Philly last weekend to look for an apartment. My wife and I looked at almost a dozen apartments, mostly in University City, but also a couple in Center City. From talking to leasing companies, it seemed like many of the more desirable units were already rented for the following academic year. We ended up finding a great 1-bdr, but most of the places we looked at seemed like dumpy UG apartments.

What struck us the most was the overall difference in cost between CC and UC. The large one-bedroom that we found was quite nice, under $1000/month with all utilities, and an easy walk to the law school. For a comparably sized place in CC, the going rate seemed to be around $1500/month. A 6k/yr difference didn't seem to make the supposed convenience of CC worth it, esp when you can hop on a bus and be in CC in a few minutes. Also, all the grocery stores that we looked at in CC were WAY more expensive than Fresh Grocer or Supreme Shop-n-Bag (both near Penn in UC).

Also, I was told by several friends to watch out for the large apt buildings in UC, esp the ones that have very pet-friendly policies. Apparently these places have a tendency to be infested with roaches, fleas, etc.

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:44 am

Any males interested in getting a house somewhere or other? They say Penn is the Party Ivy, so I wouldn't mind getting a multi-BR dwelling that could be used for the occasional social gathering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

YHF26 wrote:I found my place on Craigslist, actually! It's been fantastic. And regarding the price differential mentioned between UC and CC, it definitely exists, but you can get around it. My apartment is way less than $1k! I ended up finding my apartment in July, but I know a lot of people got theirs much earlier; it really depends on the place, as some will tell you that April/May is way too early. If you're looking for a doorman building/a building in general, those tend to fill up more quickly, so I'd suggest looking earlier.

On another note, you should absolutely come to ASW! I had a blast last year, and am still friends with many of the people I met (including my now boyfriend!). Plus, the official activities end mid-day on Saturday, so you'd have plenty of time to look for an apartment!
You met your boyfriend at ASW? Was there free alcohol involved? While I'm obviously excited about the ASW, as a general question I'm wondering about the wisdom of making a 3-year, $200k decision based on the tiny snippet that is ASW. I mean, obviously, my enjoyment of the respective ASWs is probably going to play a not insignificant role in my decision, but is that a good or prudent basis for decision-making? Looking forward to visiting! When does ASW information start getting sent out?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 pm

swampthang wrote:
YHF26 wrote:I found my place on Craigslist, actually! It's been fantastic. And regarding the price differential mentioned between UC and CC, it definitely exists, but you can get around it. My apartment is way less than $1k! I ended up finding my apartment in July, but I know a lot of people got theirs much earlier; it really depends on the place, as some will tell you that April/May is way too early. If you're looking for a doorman building/a building in general, those tend to fill up more quickly, so I'd suggest looking earlier.

On another note, you should absolutely come to ASW! I had a blast last year, and am still friends with many of the people I met (including my now boyfriend!). Plus, the official activities end mid-day on Saturday, so you'd have plenty of time to look for an apartment!
You met your boyfriend at ASW? Was there free alcohol involved? While I'm obviously excited about the ASW, as a general question I'm wondering about the wisdom of making a 3-year, $200k decision based on the tiny snippet that is ASW. I mean, obviously, my enjoyment of the respective ASWs is probably going to play a not insignificant role in my decision, but is that a good or prudent basis for decision-making? Looking forward to visiting! When does ASW information start getting sent out?
Woah swampthang, I recognize your tar from third grade! (I think?)

Also, tag :)

YHF26

New

Post by YHF26 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 am

Last edited by YHF26 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
swampthang wrote:

Woah swampthang, I recognize your tar from third grade! (I think?)

Also, tag :)
I know. It's the best isn't it? I LOVED those books.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

qed2011

New

Post by qed2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi everyone! Checking in!

I was also wondering if there's much in the way of housing in the Rittenhouse Square area that's not a big fancy doorman building. I'd like to pay at most 1k for a studio, and it seems that a lot of them are ending up at around 1100-1200, which seems a little ridiculous.

I'd also be totally interested in getting a 2BR and a roommate in that area, if anyone's interested. I do have a dog, but he's small and well-behaved.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:38 pm

qed2011 wrote:Hi everyone! Checking in!

I was also wondering if there's much in the way of housing in the Rittenhouse Square area that's not a big fancy doorman building. I'd like to pay at most 1k for a studio, and it seems that a lot of them are ending up at around 1100-1200, which seems a little ridiculous.

I'd also be totally interested in getting a 2BR and a roommate in that area, if anyone's interested. I do have a dog, but he's small and well-behaved.
Yes there are lots of colonial style townhouses a couple of blocks south of the park. So look on craigslist, trulia and other non-campus related rental sites.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:41 pm

qed2011 wrote:Hi everyone! Checking in!

Welcome! Also <3 the fact that you're bringing the dog to law school!

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Tag, and will join the FB group later.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm heavily leaning toward Penn for the fall :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 pm

khodorko wrote:Tag, and will join the FB group later.

I for one believe that USC undergrad -> Penn JD is one of the best academic choices a person can make. :D

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

law_monkey wrote:
khodorko wrote:Tag, and will join the FB group later.

I for one believe that USC undergrad -> Penn JD is one of the best academic choices a person can make. :D
You better believe that!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

One week til the NYC reception!! :)

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

dulcatis wrote:One week til the NYC reception!! :)
+1!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”