Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
leggy1T1

New

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by leggy1T1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 pm

RD accepted today - interview October 20, app submitted Sept, stats in profile - super excited! Congrats to everyone & hope to see you all there, although I may defer to c/o 2015 :roll:

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:15 am

leggy1T1 wrote:RD accepted today - Congrats to everyone & hope to see you all there, although I may defer to c/o 2015 :roll:
+1 I am likewise thinking of deferring. Does anyone know how lenient NU's deferral policy is?

Anyone know when scholarships are offered?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:45 am

ArchRoark wrote:
leggy1T1 wrote:RD accepted today - Congrats to everyone & hope to see you all there, although I may defer to c/o 2015 :roll:
+1 I am likewise thinking of deferring. Does anyone know how lenient NU's deferral policy is?

I deferred last year, so long as you have a good reason, it seemed like it's not a big deal, you just send an email requesting the deferral, but you still have to pay seat deposits.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:22 am

homestyle28 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:

I deferred last year, so long as you have a good reason, it seemed like it's not a big deal, you just send an email requesting the deferral, but you still have to pay seat deposits.

are they down with deferring scholarships too?

(also +1 on the question about when they make scholarship offers)

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Last year they sent out the process for applying for scholarships in late January and decisions weren't made until mid to late March. Although there may have been a few people that got the full-ride w/ 1-year deferral with their initial acceptance. I was not one of those people so I don't know when they actually got that offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:

are they down with deferring scholarships too?

(also +1 on the question about when they make scholarship offers)
Last year I was told that if you request a deferral (as opposed to them offering it with a scholly in order for an applicant to get some WE) you have to re-apply for aid/schollys. Apparently, they evaluate these on a class by class basis...they're not known for being super generous, so not many folks can count on $$ from them.

bananaboat29

New

Post by bananaboat29 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm

I got the e-mail on Friday but my status checker still hasn't changed and there are no pdfs...anyone else?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 pm

bananaboat29 wrote:I got the e-mail on Friday but my status checker still hasn't changed and there are no pdfs...anyone else?
Same

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:04 pm

bananaboat29 wrote:I got the e-mail on Friday but my status checker still hasn't changed and there are no pdfs...anyone else?
Same. I called the admissions office and they said they would look into it. Apparently, they're going to email me when it's fixed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:46 pm

forward21 wrote:
Same. I called the admissions office and they said they would look into it. Apparently, they're going to email me when it's fixed.
This happened last year too, I wouldn't worry about it too much, the letter, while validating, isn't that exciting.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:14 pm

sorry I've been absent- I emailed the direct admitted student email (you'll find it in the email you got letting you know you got in) after 6pm on ED day and I had a reply and a fixed PDF by 10am the next morning.

But feel ok- they didn't make any mistakes so if you have the email you are in.

Did anyone get a non-form letter? I'm in no way bothered that mine was pretty form letter, but I was just curious.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Does anyone know what the current status is in the dean-search or whatever it is going on? I know Dean Van Zandt is heading to the New School this coming year and that Dean Yuracko will be the interim dean, but I wonder how long the search process takes and what effect, if any, it will have on the students over the next three years.

EDIT: or I could just get my head out-my-ase : http://www.law.northwestern.edu/difference/newdean/
Last edited by Remnantofisrael on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Does anyone know what the current status is in the dean-search or whatever it is going on? I know Dean Van Zandt is heading to the New School this coming year.
Kim Yuracko is Interim Dean and they are looking still for the new Dean.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:Does anyone know what the current status is in the dean-search or whatever it is going on? I know Dean Van Zandt is heading to the New School this coming year.
Any good rumors, candidates, hopefuls, etc?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I'm not too up on the details.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I'm not too up on the details.
If only you had won that SBA election, we would have the inside scoop.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Checking in here. In Round 1 to the JD/MBA program. Anyone know how scholarship offers are handled? The March timeframe can't be right for the joint program since my seat deposit is due March 7.

I will email them wrt to it at some point but I wanted to wait until I hear from at least a few more schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:14 am

bdubs wrote:Checking in here. In Round 1 to the JD/MBA program. Anyone know how scholarship offers are handled? The March timeframe can't be right for the joint program since my seat deposit is due March 7.

I will email them wrt to it at some point but I wanted to wait until I hear from at least a few more schools.
I'm not sure about the JD/MBA program but for JD candidates you must complete a series of things before receiving your financial aid package. I've copied and pasted the following from their website:

JD Candidates
Financial aid at Northwestern Law takes many forms, including scholarships, grants, and loans. You absolutely must apply for financial aid in order to be considered for any kind of financial assistance, including scholarships or grants. All of our scholarships/grants are awarded on a combined basis of need and merit, so if you do not submit a financial aid application, you will never be considered for a scholarship. There are 3 components to a complete financial aid application:

A 2011-2012 Need Access application (available online after January 2, 2011)
Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application *
A 2011-2012 FAFSA (our school code is 001739)

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 pm

dddhhh wrote: I'm not sure about the JD/MBA program but for JD candidates you must complete a series of things before receiving your financial aid package. I've copied and pasted the following from their website:

JD Candidates
Financial aid at Northwestern Law takes many forms, including scholarships, grants, and loans. You absolutely must apply for financial aid in order to be considered for any kind of financial assistance, including scholarships or grants. All of our scholarships/grants are awarded on a combined basis of need and merit, so if you do not submit a financial aid application, you will never be considered for a scholarship. There are 3 components to a complete financial aid application:

A 2011-2012 Need Access application (available online after January 2, 2011)
Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application *
A 2011-2012 FAFSA (our school code is 001739)
Thanks. JD/MBA program one didn't have that clear language about FAFSA and NeedAccess. I am going to fill them out ASAP once the year is over.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:48 am

Does anyone know if there are any decent northwestern law apparel options? I know there are kellogg specific items, but the law school merchandise section is crap. I know its stupid and shallow to walk around rep-ing a school I haven't even started at, but whatever.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:49 am

Remnantofisrael wrote:Does anyone know if there are any decent northwestern law apparel options? I know there are kellogg specific items, but the law school merchandise section is crap. I know its stupid and shallow to walk around rep-ing a school I haven't even started at, but whatever.
gotta go to abbott hall. there are a few nice hoodies & stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:58 pm

IAFG wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:Does anyone know if there are any decent northwestern law apparel options? I know there are kellogg specific items, but the law school merchandise section is crap. I know its stupid and shallow to walk around rep-ing a school I haven't even started at, but whatever.
I just got loaded up with a ton of stuff from my fam-in-laws who lives in chicago...there's the standard stuff hats, tshirts, etc. But I believe that got it all at Abbot Hall (that's the LS bookstore right?)

dorriedoodle

New

Post by dorriedoodle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Any one take a look at the Scholarship application? It's two essay questions. Do these answers have to be different than info on application? Can I plagiarize myself? Can I assume the person reading my scholarship application read my normal application?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:14 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I just got loaded up with a ton of stuff from my fam-in-laws who lives in chicago...there's the standard stuff hats, tshirts, etc. But I believe that got it all at Abbot Hall (that's the LS bookstore right?)
yup :)

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:08 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Heard a rumor that one of the Clintons is being considered.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”