Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:12 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:Does anyone know what the current status is in the dean-search or whatever it is going on? I know Dean Van Zandt is heading to the New School this coming year.
Kim Yuracko is Interim Dean and they are looking still for the new Dean.
Any good rumors, candidates, hopefuls, etc?
Heard a rumor that one of the Clintons is being considered.
Please tell me it's Chelsea! That would be awesome.

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Lol. (Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not Chelsea.)

BTW, if you want to visit Northwestern and meet J. Stevens or J. Sotomayor, be sure to drop by on one of these dates: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/ne ... cfm?ID=523

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 am

I miss this thread, so thought I'd bump it. Are people working on the finaid app and essays? I think in answering the why I need/deserve aid I'm just going to say "Have you met me" to both.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

I think it's kind of odd that the law school handles financial aid for the JD/MBA program, but doesn't require essays from JD/MBAs. Perhaps they review the 4 we already submitted, or perhaps they just don't care as much for the handful of JD/MBAs.

It makes me wonder how the scholarship negotiation process will go.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:50 pm

bdubs wrote:I think it's kind of odd that the law school handles financial aid for the JD/MBA program, but doesn't require essays from JD/MBAs. Perhaps they review the 4 we already submitted, or perhaps they just don't care as much for the handful of JD/MBAs.

JD-MBAs get aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
bdubs wrote:I think it's kind of odd that the law school handles financial aid for the JD/MBA program, but doesn't require essays from JD/MBAs. Perhaps they review the 4 we already submitted, or perhaps they just don't care as much for the handful of JD/MBAs.

JD-MBAs get aid?
I doubt it.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

JD-MBAs get aid?
I doubt it.
COA for the JD/MBA is 100k/yr, you think they will give no financial aid? I may wind up just doing law school if that is the case.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:04 pm

bdubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

JD-MBAs get aid?
I doubt it.
COA for the JD/MBA is 100k/yr, you think they will give no financial aid? I may wind up just doing law school if that is the case.
At least not need aid.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote: JD-MBAs get aid?
I doubt it.
At least not need aid.
I thought need aid was an urban legend anyway.... but if it did exist I probably wouldn't qualify.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Do MBA programs do merit aid?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm

IAFG wrote:Do MBA programs do merit aid?
I doubt it.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Yes, but very little of it. The lower ranked schools offer full rides, while the Kelloggs of the world barely offer anything. Either way, the law school "handles" all of the aid for JD/MBAs, whatever that might be.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
I doubt it.
I always get the impression the JD-MBAs are more in the Kellogg family than the LS one, so if I had to put money on it I would guess JD-MBAs get whatever aid Kellogg would give them. I am not even sure we report JD-MBA stats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I doubt it.
I always get the impression the JD-MBAs are more in the Kellogg family than the LS one, so if I had to put money on it I would guess JD-MBAs get whatever aid Kellogg would give them. I am not even sure we report JD-MBA stats.
I intend to go through legal recruiting and would give up the MBA to go to law school if it came down to it. So if merit aid is off the table I would have to get next to nothing from other schools to make it worth my while. Why wouldn't they report my statistics?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:37 pm

I am just guessing because so many JD-MBAs have weak LSATs and I can imagine there being a joint program reporting loophole, like how schools didn't have to report PT students up until a couple years ago. If your focus is really law, why even apply for the joint program? At NU, it's an MBA with a law degree on the side. At least that is the impression I get. No JD-MBAs on law review, etc.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 pm

IAFG wrote:I am just guessing because so many JD-MBAs have weak LSATs and I can imagine there being a joint program reporting loophole, like how schools didn't have to report PT students up until a couple years ago. If your focus is really law, why even apply for the joint program? At NU, it's an MBA with a law degree on the side. At least that is the impression I get. No JD-MBAs on law review, etc.
50% of previous classes have gone into biglaw. My interviewer was a JD/MBA who does litigation at a DC biglaw firm that is known for JD/MBA recruiting and she seemed to think that prospects out of the program were great for legal careers. In addition my interests are somewhat at the intersection of consulting and law, so I wouldn't be upset if I was steered in the consulting direction.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm

bdubs wrote:
IAFG wrote:I am just guessing because so many JD-MBAs have weak LSATs and I can imagine there being a joint program reporting loophole, like how schools didn't have to report PT students up until a couple years ago. If your focus is really law, why even apply for the joint program? At NU, it's an MBA with a law degree on the side. At least that is the impression I get. No JD-MBAs on law review, etc.
50% of previous classes have gone into biglaw. My interviewer was a JD/MBA who does litigation at a DC biglaw firm that is known for JD/MBA recruiting and she seemed to think that prospects out of the program were great for legal careers. In addition my interests are somewhat at the intersection of consulting and law, so I wouldn't be upset if I was steered in the consulting direction.
Yeah I am sure the prospects are great, it's just a lot of time and $ to end up essentially in the same place as normal JD, but I understand keeping your options open. Then again that's a fucking expensive doorstop.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Yeah I am sure the prospects are great, it's just a lot of time and $ to end up essentially in the same place as normal JD, but I understand keeping your options open. Then again that's a fucking expensive doorstop.
:-) That is why I am interested in financial aid. I am not super concerned about the "extra" time during the summer between 1L and 2L, it seems like prospects for a great 1L SA are pretty small.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Well good luck. It will be interesting to see how your cycle shakes out.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks! Good luck to everyone here with their decisions.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Bumping this for today's admits. Congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adamdroog

New

Post by adamdroog » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:01 pm

I just got accepted yesterday. I will most likely be attending. It's nice to be able to relax and start making plans for next year.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Anyone receive their admitted students binder yet? I have not.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 am

I was all set to keep my job, stay home and attend Lewis & Clark PT (presumably on a hefty scholly) until I got the email from Northwestern yesterday. Now I don't know what to think! NU is the only other school I applied to that tempts me at all. I'd even easily turn down NYU, if by some miracle I got accepted.

Chicago sounds awesome. I think it would be good for me to get out of the PNW for a while. I even like cold weather and the Blackhawks! But I'm terrified of quitting my job, trying to rent out my condo (and continuing to pay the mortgage) and moving that far away. I'm an only child, my mom is dead, and moving away from my dad would be a serious wrench. (Yes, I know, pathetic. :oops: )

But I know I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't give NU full consideration. I really want to attend ASW to get a feel for the school and the city.

Congrats to all the other admits! I wish I had your conviction of purpose. :P

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Even though it may not be on target for everyone, I thought it might be helpful for people to see the 2009 employment report for Kellogg. The report includes the name and employer of all Kellogg MBA grads in 2009, including the JD/MBAs.

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... ort09.ashx

The law firms that are listed in the report are:
Cooley Godward
Fried Frank (2)
Kirkland & Ellis (2)
Latham & Watkins
Mayer Brown
Skadden
Vedder Price
Wachtell Lipton
Wilson Sonsini
Winston & Strawn

While individuals aren't identified as JD/MBA or just MBA the previous JD/MBA classes have been ~30 people. Not clear if any of the class are among the unemployed, but this list was encouraging to me.

The detailed 2010 report hasn't been posted yet, but the aggregate statistics are up and the percentage of grads with legal industry jobs remained the same. The 2010 legal salary range was also very similar to 2009 (150-170, mean and median near 160).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”