Advice for Transferring to Another Law School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Advice for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bleedcubbieblue

Bronze

Post by bleedcubbieblue » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:50 pm

mizzjasmine07 wrote:0l here who is planning on attending wake with a 15k scholarship a year, in hopes of transferring to uva after my 1st year. my undergrad gpa is a 4.0 in criminal justice but i scored a 146 on the lsat.however im a URM. i am also considering going to univ of maryland for my 1st year, yet it would be at sticker. all in all, would wake which is ranked 39..and the dean of wake graduated from UVA law or univ of maryland, which is ranked 42, be easier to transfer from to get to uva?
If I were you, I'd take a year off and study like mad for the LSAT. Don't waste a 4.0 GPA!!! I don't understand why you are even considering transferring at this point. If you can't score higher then a 146, it is doubtful that you will be able to achieve a rank high enough at either of those schools to allow you to transfer to UVA. However, I'm sure you can do better than a 146. Study your a$$ off and get to the high 160's+ and you'll have a great shot at obtaining $$$ at lower ranked schools and admission into the t14.

Step back from this situation and REALLY think about your options....

smiley

Bronze

Post by smiley » Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey everyone,

Question. For an extremely competitive school (HYS), if someone else at your current school who has better grades than you is applying too (think #1 compared to top 5%), are you automatically not getting in? Thanks.

Oh, this is a T20, if that makes a difference.

save the world

New

Post by save the world » Thu May 19, 2011 3:18 pm

smiley wrote:Hey everyone,

Question. For an extremely competitive school (HYS), if someone else at your current school who has better grades than you is applying too (think #1 compared to top 5%), are you automatically not getting in? Thanks.

So I'm hearing different things, will transferring to another law school look bad and how does this affect our resume? Couldn't I just put where my JD is from ?

meant to post this as a reply to the thread not this reply. sorry.
Last edited by save the world on Thu May 19, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 19, 2011 3:24 pm

There's nothing automatic about transfer admissions. This last year HLS got over 300 applicants and took around 30 students. They get a lot of qualified applicants from a number of schools, so they have to rely on things beyond just grades to distinguish them.

I know for a fact that HLS is using WE to differentiate applicants. If you have a few years of WE that might help you get in ahead of someone else at your school with slightly better grades. Other factors (strength of LORs, reasons for transferring and other content of PS) can make a difference too.

Also, it's not like these schools only take one person from each school. There are at least three different schools that sent multiple transfer students to HLS this past year. Plus, if there's one guy applying ahead of you, and he gets into all three of HYS, he can only go to one of them. Then the other two will have a seat open they still want to fill.

However, keep in mind that the gap from #1 to top 5% is a fairly big gap in terms of chances, regardless of whether someone else from your school is applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blind bomber

New

Post by blind bomber » Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey guys,

So top 5% (three grades outstanding so could fall to as low as top 10%) at T30, what are the chances of acceptance at 1) Stanford, 2) Duke, 3) GULC.

3 years work experience and fairly solid extracurriculars (oral advocacy award & 60+ hrs pro bono 1st year), also have a Master's degree from a reputable school.

Thanks for any info!

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 pm

blind bomber wrote:Hey guys,

So top 5% (three grades outstanding so could fall to as low as top 10%) at T30, what are the chances of acceptance at 1) Stanford, 2) Duke, 3) GULC.

3 years work experience and fairly solid extracurriculars (oral advocacy award & 60+ hrs pro bono 1st year), also have a Master's degree from a reputable school.

Thanks for any info!
I would say you're in at Duke/GULC, but a reach for Stanford (but still worth applying). Duke does not always take a lot of transfers, so there is always a small chance that you get dinged there.

blind bomber

New

Post by blind bomber » Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks Arrow,

Any shot at NYU?? I want to specialize in tax so this would be ideal, also do not need recommendations so can avoid that awkwardness

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm

blind bomber wrote:Thanks Arrow,

Any shot at NYU?? I want to specialize in tax so this would be ideal, also do not need recommendations so can avoid that awkwardness
Good shot at NYU, and I would be surprised if they didn't take you. Your numbers should have no trouble getting you into anything outside of HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ImConfused

New

Post by ImConfused » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Last edited by ImConfused on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 pm

ImConfused wrote:I am a rising 2L at Washington U in St. Louis, not getting much money, and I am in the top 25% of the Class. I just got into Northwestern as a transfer student and have to decide as soon as possible whether or not to transfer. WUSTL's OCI's deadline for early session is Monday at noon--they have 70 employers, about 10-20 of which are Chicago offices. They have another OCI for the Fall that currently has 20 employers, and though they say they will add more, I don't think it is anywhere near as big as this early session one that they have now. I'm from Chicago, my family / contacts are there, I want to practice there preferably at an NLJ250/500, etc. I am not on Law Review at WashU and I am not in the 10% there, but I don't want to position myself such that I am doing Northwestern's OCI without Northwestern grades/GPA and without any sort of ranking (even though they don't rank employers still have access to transcripts at the interviews) so that employers there overlook me while if I had stayed at WashU I would have been interviewed by employers coming in for the top 1/3 or top 25 % and selecting me because I am in that pool. Northwestern allows access to their only OCI, where bidding is due in two weeks, as soon as I pay my deposit money, which I will have to do soon if I decide to go. They do say however that there are about 800 employers that participate. Having said that, Northwestern has very qualified candidates who have substantial work experience and advanced/graduate degrees, neither of which I have having gone straight from Undergrad to WUSTL. I also do not have a business background, which NU's candidates seem to predominantly have and which seems to be a key factor in their appeal to BigLaw. The increase costs of living / tuition will run me 10-15K a year, which is not a real consideration, provided that WashU does not throw tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money at me to get me to stay any time soon. Should I transfer??!
You should post this in a few more places.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:30 am

ImConfused wrote:I am a rising 2L at Washington U in St. Louis, not getting much money, and I am in the top 25% of the Class. I just got into Northwestern as a transfer student and have to decide as soon as possible whether or not to transfer. WUSTL's OCI's deadline for early session is Monday at noon--they have 70 employers, about 10-20 of which are Chicago offices. They have another OCI for the Fall that currently has 20 employers, and though they say they will add more, I don't think it is anywhere near as big as this early session one that they have now. I'm from Chicago, my family / contacts are there, I want to practice there preferably at an NLJ250/500, etc. I am not on Law Review at WashU and I am not in the 10% there, but I don't want to position myself such that I am doing Northwestern's OCI without Northwestern grades/GPA and without any sort of ranking (even though they don't rank employers still have access to transcripts at the interviews) so that employers there overlook me while if I had stayed at WashU I would have been interviewed by employers coming in for the top 1/3 or top 25 % and selecting me because I am in that pool. Northwestern allows access to their only OCI, where bidding is due in two weeks, as soon as I pay my deposit money, which I will have to do soon if I decide to go. They do say however that there are about 800 employers that participate. Having said that, Northwestern has very qualified candidates who have substantial work experience and advanced/graduate degrees, neither of which I have having gone straight from Undergrad to WUSTL. I also do not have a business background, which NU's candidates seem to predominantly have and which seems to be a key factor in their appeal to BigLaw. The increase costs of living / tuition will run me 10-15K a year, which is not a real consideration, provided that WashU does not throw tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money at me to get me to stay any time soon. Should I transfer??!
Pretty solid yes, in my opinion. It sounds like Northwestern is the place for you, considering the OCI pool, your family, your connections to Chicago and desire to practice there, no law review at UWash and no scholarship from UWash. Just go!

transfer123

New

Post by transfer123 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Arrow,

I just wanted to say thank you so much! I followed your thread on transferring and it has paid off. I had my entire transfer applications ready to go in late April including recommendations. One of my professors ended up turning his grades in 7 weeks late... I was worried that this was going to ruin everything. Finally, he submitted them last week, the transcript was sent off Thursday, and today I was accepted to Miami and Penn State. My application literally went to complete at 10am and I was accepted at 4pm and then 5pm.

I'm still waiting to hear from Cardozo, Brooklyn, Rutgers, and UNC. Given that Penn State is ranked higher than Brooklyn and Rutgers, do you think my chances are pretty good at those 2 schools? At this point, I kind of want to stay in NYC now. I've been working here all summer, but would probably jump at the chance to go to UNC (in-state).

I followed what you said a few months ago, and worried about my getting my GPA as high as possible and I guessed it worked! Keeping my fingers crossed for Cardozo as that was my reach and dream school for transferring. Anyone else who is reading this, listen and follow Arrow's advice!!!!!!! It will pay off! Thanks again Arrow!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arosen887

New

Post by arosen887 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Hey, So I am currently at Texas Tech Law and I just got into SMU Law school. At Tech I just got on law review and could make a national moot/mock team. In addition, I am in the top 15% of my class. I have no idea if I should transfer or not. Please help! Any advice would be appreciated.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Banned for trolling.

This news story doesn't need to be posted/discussed everywhere.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:48 pm

arosen887 wrote:Hey, So I am currently at Texas Tech Law and I just got into SMU Law school. At Tech I just got on law review and could make a national moot/mock team. In addition, I am in the top 15% of my class. I have no idea if I should transfer or not. Please help! Any advice would be appreciated.
Law review is huge for employers and that would be taken away along with the top %15...In my opinion it's not worth it...especially at sticker price...you've done very well at tech.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skgrosse

New

Post by skgrosse » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I have recently been accepted to the night program at a lower T2 school. Is it more difficult to transfer into the day program of a higher ranked school coming from the night program, than someone transferring from day program to day program?

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Stryka wrote:
arosen887 wrote:Hey, So I am currently at Texas Tech Law and I just got into SMU Law school. At Tech I just got on law review and could make a national moot/mock team. In addition, I am in the top 15% of my class. I have no idea if I should transfer or not. Please help! Any advice would be appreciated.
Law review is huge for employers and that would be taken away along with the top %15...In my opinion it's not worth it...especially at sticker price...you've done very well at tech.
I agree. not sure if you were offered any money at SMU, but as seeing you would lose your rank and LR, I dont think it would be worth it. Now if you want to end up in California after graduation, then I would think it would be a harder decision if you get in to Pepperdine or Loyola. But with SMU, I personally dont think it is worth losing all your credentials. Also, I'm not sure if Tech has already given you money, but if not, I would go ahead and use this as leverage to get a larger scholarship. I am a little biased because I am also a rising 2l with you at Tech, but I think if you want to stay in Texas, you should stay and build upon your achievements here.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 am

No. For example, once upon a time I went to a t30 school and was first-ish in my class, but I ended up at Georgetown due to my batshit crazy essay and troubled undergraduate record, while someone else got into Harvard because he had really prestigious work experience. Now, I'm an extreme case - I should've at least gotten into NYU - but the point is, even if I hadn't written a ridiculous essay, he still probably would've been taken over me due to his superior resume.

Archo

New

Post by Archo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:03 am

hi, found the information concerning transfer cell phone spy requirements: lsac.org/jd/apply/transferring-law-schools.asp
Hope it'll help someone
Last edited by Archo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jorgepesok

New

Post by jorgepesok » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:14 pm

jorgepesok wrote:Hey guys,

I am a 1L at UMN Law. I am originally from the east coast and really want to transfer back; this of course means Yale, Harvard, Columbia or NYU. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to my chances and what I need to strive for as far as class ranking (obviously the higher the better). Thanks
You literally need to strive to be first in your class. You may not need that exactly, but if that's not what you're aiming for, you're doing it wrong. Of course, this is a purely philosophical question; you can aim for #1 and end up at median, or worse. No advice will help you right now, other than to aim as high as you can and pray that you get there.

Why did you even go to UMN if you want the east coast so badly?

jorgepesok

New

Post by jorgepesok » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 am

Does the LSAT score matter much for transfers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”