Advice for Transferring to Another Law School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TatteredDignity

Gold

Re: Advice for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:52 pm

solo3888 wrote:I am a top 2% in low T14 + full ride. I am also a CPA. HAving read this forum for a few years now, I heard several people talking about an "exit strategy". The times, 5-10 years from now, when you can not take all those crazy hours in Big LAw any more. I also met a few of such people myself. Graduates of T14 schools, they were done with big law in 3 to 5 years. One of those exit strategies is MBA, that opens doors to corporate world and makes your landing there a little softer. As a matter of fact i have just received a letter of acceptance to a JD/MBA program. No scholarship though. Sticker. $85K. Another thing is transfering to Yale and eventually teaching. Risky, even with my grades. Twice as expensive as an MBA in my school. Dont ask me what I like more. My question is about VALUE. What has more value - an JD/MBA for $85K or transfering to YAle (2 years, 75K a year = $150K). And my second question is - I realize my chances are pretty high, but still... what are my risks?
If this post is representative of your writing skills...good luck in the academy.

solo3888

New

Post by solo3888 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
If this post is representative of your writing skills...good luck in the academy.
Thank you very much for a free evaluation of my writing skills. But I would prefer an answer to my question.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:20 pm

as a transfer, I would also say that its important to make friends early at your new school, and to have to work harder to make them. Unlike 1L when you were tossed into classes with the same people, you don't have this, and you are now on the outside of those peer groups. So you may want to consider getting involved in clubs and activities to socialize

jnturner

New

Post by jnturner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am

Hi All,

I am hoping I can get some advice from all of you experienced peeps out there. I currently go to a TTTT law school. I have 4.0 and am top of the class. I got a 170 on my LSAT and was accepted to UW Madison, but because I was offered a full scholarship, I chose the TTTT law school. I am now trying to transfer. First, what do you think my chances are of getting accepted to Harvard or Yale (and yes I realize the jump from a TTTT to HYS is quite unlikely). Second, given the state of the job market, would you consider it better to graduate with no loans or better job prospects (there are also certain perks in graduating top of your class at any school)? Finally, outside of the NY schools, are there any other top ten schools you would highly recommend that you believe I would have a fair shot at being accepted to?

Thank you for any and all responses.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:59 pm

jnturner wrote:Hi All,

I am hoping I can get some advice from all of you experienced peeps out there. I currently go to a TTTT law school. I have 4.0 and am top of the class. I got a 170 on my LSAT and was accepted to UW Madison, but because I was offered a full scholarship, I chose the TTTT law school. I am now trying to transfer. First, what do you think my chances are of getting accepted to Harvard or Yale (and yes I realize the jump from a TTTT to HYS is quite unlikely). Second, given the state of the job market, would you consider it better to graduate with no loans or better job prospects (there are also certain perks in graduating top of your class at any school)? Finally, outside of the NY schools, are there any other top ten schools you would highly recommend that you believe I would have a fair shot at being accepted to?

Thank you for any and all responses.
Skip HYS (and probably Chicago; you can throw an app to Harvard, but they barely take #1 T2 students let alone TTTT's) but apply everywhere else. Someone will probably bite (I know Michigan takes students from TTTT's).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

surferchic1303

New

Post by surferchic1303 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Last edited by surferchic1303 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

sjd1988

New

Post by sjd1988 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:01 pm

I just finished my 1L year at a 15-21 range school in the Top 20% (3.78/4.00 gpa) and am interning for a judge this summer. I'm from the Chicago area and plan on practicing there after law school, so I am strongly considering taking a shot at both Northwestern and U of C. With those stats, I feel I'm a bit of a long shot, so I'm hoping for some guidance and/or a reality check. Thoughts?

Harbar1125

New

Post by Harbar1125 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Hello,

I am a rising 2L at Cardozo. I have 3.611 which puts me on Law Review and in top 10%. I currently have a half-tuition scholarship and I have been offered admission to Northwestern. I am from Chicago so the idea of coming back home is appealing. However, I do not know if I want to work in NY or Chi. I know that my goal is to do BigLaw, and probably in NYC. But I also know that if I stay I am limiting myself to that region, whereas, Northwestern would certainly open up my options. I am concerned with my career potential in NYC coming out of Northwestern vs. staying at Cardozo where I am in top 10%. Also, I do not know how much my student debt should play a factor. I already have significant debt, so losing my partial scholarship would hurt, but I just don't have much of a concept of how much it would hurt since I will be six figures in debt either way. Should I transfer? Please help!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:17 pm

stillwater wrote:
Harbar1125 wrote:Hello,

I am a rising 2L at Cardozo. I have 3.611 which puts me on Law Review and in top 10%. I currently have a half-tuition scholarship and I have been offered admission to Northwestern. I am from Chicago so the idea of coming back home is appealing. However, I do not know if I want to work in NY or Chi. I know that my goal is to do BigLaw, and probably in NYC. But I also know that if I stay I am limiting myself to that region, whereas, Northwestern would certainly open up my options. I am concerned with my career potential in NYC coming out of Northwestern vs. staying at Cardozo where I am in top 10%. Also, I do not know how much my student debt should play a factor. I already have significant debt, so losing my partial scholarship would hurt, but I just don't have much of a concept of how much it would hurt since I will be six figures in debt either way. Should I transfer? Please help!
transfer out of that sinking ship
There are many T14 schools near the NYC and Chicago area. Send out transfer applications immediately and see what you can get. Don't be afraid to apply to some reach schools (Columbia, NYU, Chicago) and pray that one of the accepts you. You have a good shot at some lower T14's like Georgetown.

Good luck!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Been reading the posts...thought I'd throw out my stats.

I'm a 0L currently. Going to a school in the 50s this fall. Chances at transferring up? I went to undergrad in DC, is GULC a possibility?

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:24 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Been reading the posts...thought I'd throw out my stats.

I'm a 0L currently. Going to a school in the 50s this fall. Chances at transferring up? I went to undergrad in DC, is GULC a possibility?
Read the guide. Then get back to us when you have your 1L grades.

GL!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Of course it'd all be guesswork without the grades, but assuming top 10%.

I'll be watching my grades especially 1st semester for GULC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Of course it'd all be guesswork without the grades, but assuming top 10%.

I'll be watching my grades especially 1st semester for GULC.
dumb assumption

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:43 pm

I have no idea what my grades will be, true. For the purposes of considering a transfer though, I was assuming I'd have to be top 10%. Anything less and I can't transfer.

Should of been clearer, sorry.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:45 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:I have no idea what my grades will be, true. For the purposes of considering a transfer though, I was assuming I'd have to be top 10%. Anything less and I can't transfer.

gulc takes a gazillion transfers

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:I have no idea what my grades will be, true. For the purposes of considering a transfer though, I was assuming I'd have to be top 10%. Anything less and I can't transfer.

Benjamin1987 wrote:READ THE GUIDE. Then get back to us when you have your 1L grades.

GL!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cloud Strife

New

Post by Cloud Strife » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:12 am

Transferring is golden. I can't thank Arrow enough for the initial "How to do well in Law School." I transferred into a T from a TTT. I'd like to bring up and correct some things I heard about the transfer process from LSAC which were untrue.

1. You give up Law Review.

To the contrary; there was at my school a separate write on for transfers. All the better sense it gives you a second shot at the process if you didn't make it at your old school.

2. You can't join clubs or Moot Court.

For some reason it felt easier. Maybe being at a new campus gives new energy, but for the most part you're certainly no worse off and you haven't missed any deadlines. Actually, similar to the law review comment, I felt like I missed out on a lot of stuff during 1L year prepping for exams. Transferring gave me the second shot for joining journals and trying out for moot court. There were no technical disadvantages.

3. You loose Friends and 1L bonding.

True, but you also double your connections. As in; you can keep ties with your old school while making new friends and connections in your new one. Really, isn't that slightly -more- valuable.

4. Social Stigma or Social Aloofness

I'm trying to quote LSAC. It's simply not true. I felt as though having a fresh start gave me more energy than the burnt out 2Ls.

In general I disagree with LSAC and recommend transferring. I only regret not taking Arrow's advice more directly or else I would have make T-14. Damn the orientation and case book method and three cheers for Arrow.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 am

Cloud Strife wrote:Transferring is golden. I can't thank Arrow enough for the initial "How to do well in Law School." I transferred into a T from a TTT. I'd like to bring up and correct some things I heard about the transfer process from LSAC which were untrue.

1. You give up Law Review.

To the contrary; there was at my school a separate write on for transfers. All the better sense it gives you a second shot at the process if you didn't make it at your old school.

2. You can't join clubs or Moot Court.

For some reason it felt easier. Maybe being at a new campus gives new energy, but for the most part you're certainly no worse off and you haven't missed any deadlines. Actually, similar to the law review comment, I felt like I missed out on a lot of stuff during 1L year prepping for exams. Transferring gave me the second shot for joining journals and trying out for moot court. There were no technical disadvantages.

3. You loose Friends and 1L bonding.

True, but you also double your connections. As in; you can keep ties with your old school while making new friends and connections in your new one. Really, isn't that slightly -more- valuable.

4. Social Stigma or Social Aloofness

I'm trying to quote LSAC. It's simply not true. I felt as though having a fresh start gave me more energy than the burnt out 2Ls.

In general I disagree with LSAC and recommend transferring. I only regret not taking Arrow's advice more directly or else I would have make T-14. Damn the orientation and case book method and three cheers for Arrow.
Lol. I agree I gunned so hard as a transfer...

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Cloud Strife wrote:
what was Arrow's advice???

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:39 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
when life gives you As, make transfer!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:32 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Bro did you even first page of this thread

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Bro did you even first page of this thread
Arrows advice: know your prof. Screw briefing. Get grades. Transfer. ??????. Get $

MKX

Bronze

Post by MKX » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Going to Chicago-Kent with a great sized scholarship...

I live in the Chicago area so I will be staying at home so I won't have anything to pay for except school/books. I hope to work in Chicago as well. Was Kent a reasonable choice for me then?

I hope to do corporate law and I know someone who can 99% guarantee me an in house business law internship. They can't obviously guarantee me a job because they work in a different department but I figure not a bad start..

Just wondering what are my chances of being able to transfer into NW after 1L? (I start this fall). It was my freshman GPA in college that hurt me in the selection process. I had under a 3.0 my first year in school and I'll be graduating around a 3.6 so I turned it around but I couldn't fix my GPA in time for applications.

I know I don't have numbers yet of where I rank in the school and what not, but I know with my study habits that I've seriously improved the last 3 years I will put in a lot of time and effort. My question basically is would the transfer be a good idea and what would I have to do to be able to transfer.

user has been warned for posting in the transfer forum as a 0L

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 pm

MKX wrote:Going to Chicago-Kent with a great sized scholarship...

I live in the Chicago area so I will be staying at home so I won't have anything to pay for except school/books. I hope to work in Chicago as well. Was Kent a reasonable choice for me then?

I hope to do corporate law and I know someone who can 99% guarantee me an in house business law internship. They can't obviously guarantee me a job because they work in a different department but I figure not a bad start..

Just wondering what are my chances of being able to transfer into NW after 1L? (I start this fall). It was my freshman GPA in college that hurt me in the selection process. I had under a 3.0 my first year in school and I'll be graduating around a 3.6 so I turned it around but I couldn't fix my GPA in time for applications.

I know I don't have numbers yet of where I rank in the school and what not, but I know with my study habits that I've seriously improved the last 3 years I will put in a lot of time and effort. My question basically is would the transfer be a good idea and what would I have to do to be able to transfer.
This forum is for current law students seeking advice on applying to transfer from one law school to another. As such, the following rules are hereby in place:

1) 0Ls should not be posting questions here.

If you're a 0L who wants advice about anything from current law students, including how transferring works, then you want to go to this forum set up just for you: viewforum.php?f=4

0Ls are welcome to be here, to read and to make appropriate comments, but read note #3 below before you comment.

2) 1Ls (and 0Ls!), do not ask about transfer odds or possibilities before you have grades.

And don't think about transferring before you even go to school. To transfer from Kent to NU you would need to be in the top 10%. I don't know if Kent still does this, but my friends just graduated in May and they section stacked making it hard to be in the top 10%. If you would rather go to NU, retake the LSAT. Don't plan on transferring entering law school. It rarely works out

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”