GULC or UCLA Law?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 337961
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:07 pm

Got accepted to both GULC and UCLA Law. Which one is better in terms of prestige? Does T14 really matter if you're not looking to work in Big Law?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3531
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 pm

If you want to work in non-Biglaw LA, UCLA. If you want to work on the East Coast non-Biglaw, probably GULC. If you think questions of prestige actually matter without providing the context of what career you're looking at and where you'd like to start it, I'm not sure anyone can help you.

Eliminating Biglaw as a career goal only obfuscates, and likely makes the advice worse. "Prestige" might matter for the type of organization you want to work for, but none of us can accurately say that, and more importantly, it's such an anomalous idea that it will never fit for non-defined career paths. If you want to know whether GULC will do better in federal government hiring, you can get useful opinions. If you are looking to get into non-regional non-profit work, you could still find some useful opinions, even if they are anecdotal.

I love transfer choosing threads, because it rarely gets at the heart of the question, at least initially: should I transfer, and will the increased cost of transferring be worth the long-term career investment? It's a fantastic question, and one that needs to be answered for those considering transferring, but it can't be answered without knowing where you came from (law school-wise), how you've done there, and what your goals are relative to both the school you currently attend and what school you're considering attending.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 6366
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:57 am

In addition to what UVA2B said, haven't you missed OCI at both?

duke1932452

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby duke1932452 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:47 am

I would choose UCLA especially if you are looking at big law. Georgetown would only be helpful if you got their OCI because it is such a big school. UCLA is going to be a much better decision, plus LA market for big law is a lot less competitive then DC's.

Xfer45

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby Xfer45 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 pm

duke1932452 wrote:I would choose UCLA especially if you are looking at big law. Georgetown would only be helpful if you got their OCI because it is such a big school. UCLA is going to be a much better decision, plus LA market for big law is a lot less competitive then DC's.


I think it's worth mentioning that you're currently on the waitlist for GULC. And not that biased advice can't be good advice, but the above is pure sophistry.

duke1932452

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby duke1932452 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:51 am

I have made my decision on what school so what you choose does not matter to me. If you PM me ill explain what school, but I was giving advice from someone who wants big law and missed their opportunity. DC is an extremely difficult market and everyone will agree with that. If your goal is big law UCLA is the correct choice. Just trying to help

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 6366
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:53 am

duke1932452 wrote:I was giving advice from someone who wants big law and missed their opportunity.


Not to pile on here, but this is exactly why you shouldn't be giving advice on this point. You're perfectly qualified to tell people what not to do with those credentials. You just have no business recommending particular schools for biglaw, given your lack of experience getting the desired outcome.

duke1932452

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby duke1932452 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I was honestly trying to help, but I can see your argument. Should have know with lawyers haha. But seriously best of luck with your decision!

Xfer45

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Re: GULC or UCLA Law?

Postby Xfer45 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 pm

I was going to let this sit, but you had to double down.

duke1932452 wrote:I would choose UCLA especially if you are looking at big law.


Doesn't appear OP wanted biglaw.

duke1932452 wrote:Georgetown would only be helpful if you got their OCI because it is such a big school.


Seriously, there's no other reason, however small, attending GULC over UCLA might be helpful? And say there wasn't, I suspect OP will have missed UCLA's OCI too.

duke1932452 wrote:UCLA is going to be a much better decision


We know almost nothing about the OP's plans apart from the fact that they don't appear to want biglaw, so how on Earth can you make this claim?

duke1932452 wrote:plus LA market for big law is a lot less competitive then DC's.


I know little about the LA legal market, but your other comments have me skeptical of yet another bald assertion.

Let's be clear, you weren't trying to be helpful at all. Your advice, combined with your other posts re: GULC's waitlist, makes your motive as clear as glass. As you should know, this is a life changing decision for OP. Without a doubt, they should disregard your "advice."

[Redacted at poster's request]
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited at poster's request.



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.