Please Help - Backing Out of Accepting an Offer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Please Help - Backing Out of Accepting an Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:25 pm

I’m mostly interested in answers from an ethics perspective if anyone could please provide their insight or any concrete info they could point me to to answer this:

So I made a choice to deposit somewhere even though I was still waiting on others I am more interested in. I filled out the form, called and told them I would be mailing the deposit today. They said that’s great and they would make a note in my file that the check is coming.

Well, before I was able to get to the post office, a school called that I was waiting on and that I’m more interested in.

My question is: can I call school 1 tomorrow & renege without actually sending in the deposit? Is it an ethical issue or just bad form? Or is it a non-issue and I am overthinking? Please anything would help!

cavalier1138

Re: Please Help - Backing Out of Accepting an Offer

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

What was the wording on the deposit form? Did it say anything about withdrawing any outstanding applications?

MSUN5

Bronze

Post by MSUN5 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 am

Are you past the deposit deadline for school (1) already? Did they make this notation in your file in lieu of a deposit on the good faith belief that a deposit was incoming? Or did you just say you would be sending one shortly and you still have a window of time before the commitment window elapses?

I would advise you take a close read through this document:
http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... oodadm.pdf

Pg 3 is, perhaps, relevant.
After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class.

ChiaOut

New

Post by ChiaOut » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m mostly interested in answers from an ethics perspective if anyone could please provide their insight or any concrete info they could point me to to answer this:

So I made a choice to deposit somewhere even though I was still waiting on others I am more interested in. I filled out the form, called and told them I would be mailing the deposit today. They said that’s great and they would make a note in my file that the check is coming.

Well, before I was able to get to the post office, a school called that I was waiting on and that I’m more interested in.

My question is: can I call school 1 tomorrow & renege without actually sending in the deposit? Is it an ethical issue or just bad form? Or is it a non-issue and I am overthinking? Please anything would help!
If it’s not a binding decision then ethics are not at play. Do what is best for you. Better to let them know ASAP so that someone who really wants the opportunity can be given the choice. They understand the transfer game and just want us to be adults. You will be taken out a loan and have to pay for it afterwards. Plus you’re allowed to deposit and walk away that why they make it non refundable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”