YLS 2019 Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
YaleTransfer

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby YaleTransfer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:18 pm

Wanted to get some conversation going about transferring to YLS.

I went complete last week (T14, ~top 3%).

Anyone have thoughts on why they moved up the application deadline about two weeks this year? Do we still think that we’ll get decisions back in about a week and a half to two weeks, as has been the case in prior years?

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby janereacher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm

My app also went complete last week. For last year's applicants they waived the application fee because they opened up the application period late. Maybe they are just adjusting back? It would be great if we heard back sooner, but since they don't do rolling admissions, my guess it will still be around the 2nd week in July (i.e. a week later than Harvard).

YaleTransfer

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby YaleTransfer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

janereacher wrote:My app also went complete last week. For last year's applicants they waived the application fee because they opened up the application period late. Maybe they are just adjusting back? It would be great if we heard back sooner, but since they don't do rolling admissions, my guess it will still be around the 2nd week in July (i.e. a week later than Harvard).


Right, during '18 they opened up late. But as far as I can tell, for a few years going back, the application deadline has been the first week of July, and decisions have come out usually early-mid July. But this year they moved up the deadline.

TheJuiceIsLoose

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby TheJuiceIsLoose » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:31 am

How long after submitting did people get the email that their application was complete?

angbad

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby angbad » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Top 2% @ T20 checking in.

I submitted June 15 and have yet to receive an application complete email.

YaleTransfer

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby YaleTransfer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:42 pm

TheJuiceIsLoose wrote:How long after submitting did people get the email that their application was complete?


Just re-checked my email. They contacted me to let me know that my application was "received," and that they'll email again when the application is complete. Haven't received that completion email yet, apparently.

Email also says that they'll have decisions by mid-July at the latest.

TheJuiceIsLoose

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby TheJuiceIsLoose » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Because I'm bored, what are everyone's ballpark stats and where else did you apply to transfer?

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby amabe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 pm

School Rank: 60-80
Rank: Top 1%
GPA: 3.97

Everything went complete June 11. Accepted at Columbia.

Called the admissions office today and they said they hope to get decisions out later this week/early next week but hopefully before the 4th. :oops:

Good luck everyone!

YaleTransfer

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby YaleTransfer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 am

amabe wrote:School Rank: 60-80
Rank: Top 1%
GPA: 3.97

Everything went complete June 11. Accepted at Columbia.

Called the admissions office today and they said they hope to get decisions out later this week/early next week but hopefully before the 4th. :oops:

Good luck everyone!


This is great to hear re decision timeline.

Did they send you a "complete" email, or was it just a "we received your application email"?

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby amabe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 pm

YaleTransfer wrote:
amabe wrote:School Rank: 60-80
Rank: Top 1%
GPA: 3.97

Everything went complete June 11. Accepted at Columbia.

Called the admissions office today and they said they hope to get decisions out later this week/early next week but hopefully before the 4th. :oops:

Good luck everyone!


This is great to hear re decision timeline.

Did they send you a "complete" email, or was it just a "we received your application email"?


It was complete.

AlmostSplitter

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby AlmostSplitter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Hey all,

Got an acceptance call this morning but I don’t know if they’re all going out today. Good luck and love to everyone.

For posterity: CCN 10-15%, compelling personal reasons motivating transfer seemed to matter (the dean of admissions mentioned them on the call and my recommenders all mentioned them in my LORs).

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby janereacher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Just got the call - I'm in! Can't believe it. Stats: T1, 3.9, Top 2.5%

transfertransfer21

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby transfertransfer21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm

janereacher wrote:Just got the call - I'm in! Can't believe it. Stats: T1, 3.9, Top 2.5%


Congrats!!! That’s amazing!!

YaleTransfer

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby YaleTransfer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Also got the call this morning! Congrats everyone!

T14, 3.9.

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby ohladcsc » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:27 pm

janereacher wrote:Just got the call - I'm in! Can't believe it. Stats: T1, 3.9, Top 2.5%


Congratulations!!! Are you taking it, or waiting on H/S?

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby janereacher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 pm

ohladcsc wrote:
janereacher wrote:Just got the call - I'm in! Can't believe it. Stats: T1, 3.9, Top 2.5%


Congratulations!!! Are you taking it, or waiting on H/S?


I am going to wait for H so I have time to fully process and consider. Plus, I will know before Yale's decision is due. S is a huge blackbox regarding their timeline so I'm not sure.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2344
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby QContinuum » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 pm

janereacher wrote:
ohladcsc wrote:
janereacher wrote:Just got the call - I'm in! Can't believe it. Stats: T1, 3.9, Top 2.5%


Congratulations!!! Are you taking it, or waiting on H/S?


I am going to wait for H so I have time to fully process and consider. Plus, I will know before Yale's decision is due. S is a huge blackbox regarding their timeline so I'm not sure.

Congrats Jane!

Why would you possibly consider going to H over Y? Absent rare exceptions (compelling personal need to be in Boston; diehard interest in academia, with a specific research interest in an area of law with one or more profs at H, but none at Y), Y should win over H each and every time, hands down.

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby janereacher » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:25 am

QContinuum wrote:Congrats Jane!

Why would you possibly consider going to H over Y? Absent rare exceptions (compelling personal need to be in Boston; diehard interest in academia, with a specific research interest in an area of law with one or more profs at H, but none at Y), Y should win over H each and every time, hands down.


Thanks! It would definitely be related to a specific research interest but yes, even that may not be enough.

TheJuiceIsLoose

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby TheJuiceIsLoose » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:23 am

YaleTransfer wrote:Also got the call this morning! Congrats everyone!

T14, 3.9.

Congrats! Did you ever get your "application complete" email?

Igloo2022

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby Igloo2022 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:06 am

Anyone on here a Stanford/Harvard "lateral" transfer candidate?

amabe

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby amabe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:37 pm

YaleTransfer wrote:Wanted to get some conversation going about transferring to YLS.

I went complete last week (T14, ~top 3%).

Anyone have thoughts on why they moved up the application deadline about two weeks this year? Do we still think that we’ll get decisions back in about a week and a half to two weeks, as has been the case in prior years?


Are we assuming if we haven't heard yet its ding dong done?

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: YLS 2019 Transfer

Postby janereacher » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:59 am

Some preliminary insight into where YLS transfers are coming from this year:

Lower Tier 14: 5
T6: 2
T25: 2
T1 (30 to 45-ish): 4
T2: 1

Of course, the 509s will confirm but they seem to have gone lower in the rankings than previously.



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.