NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Starting this up. Between top 5-10% (around 16/250) at t-40, UR 6/10. Good luck all! Unsure of my chances but praying for an acceptance.

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm

School Rank: 30’s
GPA: 3.86
Class Rank: Top 5% (This is the highest rank my school gives. TLS calculator puts me in the top 3%.)

Complete 5/31
UR1 6/7
UR2 6/13
UR3 6/14

Someone at that admissions office keeps accidentally clicking on my application when they’re playing solitaire or something.

Also, OP, with those numbers I think you’re in very good shape. What’s your GPA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:08 pm

MSUN5 wrote:School Rank: 30’s
GPA: 3.86
Class Rank: Top 5% (This is the highest rank my school gives. TLS calculator puts me in the top 3%.)

Complete 5/31
UR1 6/7
UR2 6/13
UR3 6/14

Someone at that admissions office keeps accidentally clicking on my application when they’re playing solitaire or something.

Also, OP, with those numbers I think you’re in very good shape. What’s your GPA?

GPA is 3.69. After looking at previous years, it seems like we are UR earlier than usual. I wonder if the office is moving quicker this summer. Also have an app out at Columbia but I'm not optimistic.

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:49 am

Yeah I wonder if these early URs translate into earlier decisions. As far as I can tell, we’re going UR a full week, week-and-a-half earlier than any other cycle since at least 2014.

I am a bit hesitant to read too much into the status changes though, partially because I was sooooooo wrong when a similar tea-leaf-type-indicator pointed towards super early decisions for GULC EA, but they ended up coming out fairly late.

Of course, that’s not going to stop me from obsessing over them and making predictions. Haha. How the hell else are we supposed to pass the time?

Also, re Columbia: I think they’re a teeny bit pickier than NYU on the GPA front. Last year their transfer medians were 3.8/37 and NYU’s were 3.57/27.

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 am

Here’s a few more numbers for fun and posterity. In 2017 NYU’s medians were 3.57/28 and Columbia’s were 3.76/30.

From what I can tell—and the data is pretty sparse so maybe take this with a grain of salt—I think the conventional wisdom is basically right. NYU is a bit more willing to go deeper into the top of the class at a T1, and Columbia is a bit more willing to take a shot on high-achievers from a T2/T3. Both schools also admit a disproportionate quantity of students from NYC-area schools.

Anyway, OP, hope this helps you get a clearer picture of your chances. You’re probably right about where you need to be for NYU, but a bit of a reach at CLS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am

MSUN5 wrote:Here’s a few more numbers for fun and posterity. In 2017 NYU’s medians were 3.57/28 and Columbia’s were 3.76/30.

From what I can tell—and the data is pretty sparse so maybe take this with a grain of salt—I think the conventional wisdom is basically right. NYU is a bit more willing to go deeper into the top of the class at a T1, and Columbia is a bit more willing to take a shot on high-achievers from a T2/T3. Both schools also admit a disproportionate quantity of students from NYC-area schools.

Anyway, OP, hope this helps you get a clearer picture of your chances. You’re probably right about where you need to be for NYU, but a bit of a reach at CLS.

Thank you! I think you're probably spot on. Fingers crossed for some movement this week.

shadyswift1

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby shadyswift1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Checking in. T1 top 15% (3.7).

ohladcsc

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby ohladcsc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Checking in!

School 40-50s
Top 3%
3.93
Law Review/Moot Court/Research Assistant (for what it’s worth)

Complete/UR1: 6/13

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Any chance there's movement this week? Ordinarily wouldn't expect it but these early UR's have me anxious!

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:40 pm

I have no idea. In 2014/15 I believe there was a pattern like: UR1... gap... UR2, UR3 and then a decisions a few days after UR3. But then the past couple cycles have been pretty different. Basically, I have no idea.

The only consistent pattern I can identify has been UR1 in the 3rd week of June and the first wave of admits the last week of June. We’ve already broken pattern one, but I still kinda sorta expect we won’t start getting news until late next week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Waiting is so painful. The admissions office appears to be more responsive than most schools, though.

youya

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:21 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby youya » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

This may be a stupid question. But how do you guys know whether the forms are received by NYU and whether you are under review? I submitted my app today but did not see anything. :shock:

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 am

youya wrote:This may be a stupid question. But how do you guys know whether the forms are received by NYU and whether you are under review? I submitted my app today but did not see anything. :shock:


You’ll get an email with a status checker link. NYU can take a bit to send it though. I submitted my app in mid-May and didn’t get one for like a week-and-a-half.

janereacher

Bronze
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby janereacher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting is so painful. The admissions office appears to be more responsive than most schools, though.


Yes, this has been a relief. I've gotten responses within 24 hours and often the same day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Any movement this last two days for anyone?

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement this last two days for anyone?


All quiet on the western front, my friend.

DC2NY2x

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby DC2NY2x » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Fella from admissions said that even if you don't have your College Questionnaire/Transcript submitted, as long as everything else is submitted and your College Transcript is in your CAS report, it will go under review anyways.
Having said that, today my status checker updated to say my Law School Transcript was received, just leaving the College Questionnaire/Transcript missing, but it still says "processing".

STATS:
T20-25
Top 1%-15% (3.678)
"Complete": 6/20

divingfish

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby divingfish » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 am

How long does it usually take from law school transcript being received to transcript checked on status checker? I sent my transcript and it was delivered three days ago but my statue checker still says it is missing. Should I call the admission officer or wait?

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 am

UR 2 as of today (6/24)

DC2NY2x

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby DC2NY2x » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:03 am

DC2NY2x wrote:Fella from admissions said that even if you don't have your College Questionnaire/Transcript submitted, as long as everything else is submitted and your College Transcript is in your CAS report, it will go under review anyways.
Having said that, today my status checker updated to say my Law School Transcript was received, just leaving the College Questionnaire/Transcript missing, but it still says "processing".

STATS:
T20-25
Top 1%-15% (3.678)
"Complete": 6/20



UPDATE: UR1 6/24

MSUN5

Bronze
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby MSUN5 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:UR 2 as of today (6/24)


The plot thickens. By all available indications, we should get our first round of decisions on Thursday or Friday of this week. In past years the first decisions came on:

2018: Fri, 6/29
2017: Thur, 6/29
2016: Thur, 6/30
2015: Fri, 6/26

Ms. Owl

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Ms. Owl » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:UR 2 as of today (6/24)


Same here. All documents received sometime over the weekend.

Submitted/UR1 - 6/14
UR2 - 6/24

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:02 am

Excellent research on your part, MSUN. I wonder if there's any discernible pattern to UR updates.

divingfish

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 am

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby divingfish » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Submitted 6.18
UR 1: 6.18
Also went under review today.

vault101

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: NYU Law Transfer Thread 2019

Postby vault101 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 pm

UR2 is still 6/18.

But the college questionnaire and college transcript are checked today (6.24).

Strange!



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.