What gpa worth it to apply (transfer) to YLS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What gpa worth it to apply (transfer) to YLS

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Was waitlisted at YLS and ended up choosing HLS. First semester I got a 3.67 (2 P, 2 H, 1 DS (LRW)). What grades would I need for a shot to transfer? Journal isn't a concern as I didn't do write on at HLS. Thanks!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: What gpa worth it to apply (transfer) to YLS

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu May 23, 2019 3:35 pm

If your GPA is good enough to transfer, then it's good enough to create better opportunities than median at YLS would. It almost never makes sense to transfer between roughly-equally-ranked schools absent a strong personal reason (e.g., RBG transferred from Harvard to Columbia to be with her spouse).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2019 3:45 pm

OP here. I personally find the clerkship boost worth it, and YLS would actually be lower COA for me so there's no reason not to transfer besides loss of first year grades and social connections. I've heard median at YLS gives a good shot at CoA clerkships which is good enough of a reason for me.

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Thu May 23, 2019 4:14 pm

I think LSAT airbenders point is that if your GPA is good enough at H to transfer to YLS, then there is no clerkship boost. Median to median, sure theres a boost, but you will be going from above median student at HLS (if you have the GPA/recs to transfer to Y) to essentially median or below at Y (since you wont have any connections or gpa). No idea what GPA is actually required though.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu May 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Yeah. Even if median at Yale fares a bit better than top 25% at Harvard (or top 1/3, or magna, or wherever one has to be to transfer), which I doubt in the first place, it's likely a smaller effect than the downside of having much weaker connections with professors, which are often decisive in getting interviews.

If Yale is substantially cheaper (or, relatedly, if you have very specific career goals where YLS's loan assistance would apply but HLS's wouldn't) then it might be worth looking at, of course. I just doubt that you're going to improve your outcomes by transferring—probably the opposite.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 24, 2019 2:43 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Yeah. Even if median at Yale fares a bit better than top 25% at Harvard (or top 1/3, or magna, or wherever one has to be to transfer), which I doubt in the first place, it's likely a smaller effect than the downside of having much weaker connections with professors, which are often decisive in getting interviews.

If Yale is substantially cheaper (or, relatedly, if you have very specific career goals where YLS's loan assistance would apply but HLS's wouldn't) then it might be worth looking at, of course. I just doubt that you're going to improve your outcomes by transferring—probably the opposite.
Agreed 100%. There are no opportunities available to Yale students that aren't also available to top HLS students. Yale is a stronger law school because (many) more opportunities are available at median at Y than at H, but top H students absolutely can get anything YLS students can get, be it clerkships or competitive PI or whatnot. (Top H students may arguably/possibly have more opportunities, in fact, because of H's sheer size - more professors to network with in various legal niches!)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”