Asking for an LOR from a professor Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking for an LOR from a professor

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm in the process of applying to transfer and I have to go through the oh so awkward process of asking professors from my current school to write LOR's for me. Should I attach my resume to the email? On the one hand, I feel as though this is common practice. On the other hand, why would a professor be interested in seeing my resume? They (hopefully) know me and would write the letter based on their experience of me being in their class. So, what do you all have to say - attach the resume or no?

janereacher

Bronze

Re: Asking for an LOR from a professor

Post by janereacher » Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I included my resume. I think it might have helped give them more information to work with while constructing the recommendation letter. Additionally, I asked them for job references and may ask for a clerkship reference in the future so I think it made sense to give them a full sense of who I am.

Larrymitchell808

New

Post by Larrymitchell808 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 pm

janereacher wrote:I included my resume. I think it might have helped give them more information to work with while constructing the recommendation letter. Additionally, I asked them for job references and may ask for a clerkship reference in the future so I think it made sense to give them a full sense of who I am.
I agree with this - it can't hurt so why not

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

I provided a resume-- and I would offer to provide your personal statement and any other relevant information that might help them write the LOR. I also asked professors for the letter in person. Being in person allowed us to have a conversation so they understand my motivations for transfer. I was open about my reasons while remaining positive and professional. I would not ask for a letter over email unless you are unable to meet in person for reasons of geography, etc. I also wanted to gauge their response to make sure the LOR would be sufficiently strong. I waived the right to read their letters, but since most schools want at least one law school professor LOR, I knew the quality of these letters would be important. You don't want a lukewarm letter. So, yes, get your resume cleaned up and provide it. And, if possible, request your letter in person.

Xfer45

New

Post by Xfer45 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 pm

I asked both profs by email, but also offered to meet in person in the messages. Both agreed by email, so a meeting wasnt necessary. And providing a resume is a good idea; one of the profs specifically requested it. Also might help to provide an addressed envelope if your prof is old school and doesn't want to submit via LSAC's platform. Good luck

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 pm

I gave them my resume and also a copy of my fall grades so they knew I wasn't a dummy. Also explained one of my hobbies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”