GULC EA/RD Transfer 2019 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tls_toddy

New

Re: GULC EA/RD Transfer 2019

Post by tls_toddy » Thu May 02, 2019 2:02 pm

hdshap wrote:
Did you straight up ask if you had a letter coming? I just called and they told me early may.
I asked if they made any decisions and I found out from there. Did they ask for your name?

hdshap

New

Post by hdshap » Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm

tls_toddy wrote:
hdshap wrote:
Did you straight up ask if you had a letter coming? I just called and they told me early may.
I asked if they made any decisions and I found out from there. Did they ask for your name?
I called back with my name and they said I would receive a decision in the next week or two (with a very dull voice on the other end). While not completely giving up hope, I think that means I was rejected if they let other students know.

Now back to contracts.

frobscottle

New

Post by frobscottle » Thu May 02, 2019 3:26 pm

I called and got "Sorry, we're unable to confirm the status of anyone over the phone and have not mailed any letters yet." (Thankfully, I didn't provide my name). Yuck. :x

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

frobscottle wrote:I called and got "Sorry, we're unable to confirm the status of anyone over the phone and have not mailed any letters yet." (Thankfully, I didn't provide my name). Yuck. :x
Sorry to hear this. Two things: many transfer apps opened up at other great schools on May 1. If you are intent on transfer, I would apply broadly. I still have pending apps (no decision yet) at three other law schools and have been deferred from two. That doesn't even include my in-state school, to which I have not yet applied, which would be wayyyyy cheaper for me.

Also, acknowledging this is unsolicited advice (but here I go), I am a non traditional student with a long career already behind me, and so I say with some degree of confidence (as the elder statesman here) that most people end up where they should be. That's undoubtedly a hard pill to swallow today, but I could tell you tales as recent as March (regarding summer internship interviews) that would have you saying, "whoa, she's probably right.

Do well on your finals, if you're still in finals -- then try for a handful of other schools. Do not despair! This does not define you.

frobscottle

New

Post by frobscottle » Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 pm

frobscottle wrote:Just thought I'd toss myself in the ring - also applied EA and have been getting the same little updates as y'all.

high T2 | 3.725 | my school doesn't rank before end of 1L but I'm going to guess, top 10%
2 Recs, both from my 1L professors
Summer: State Gov AG Office (I've always slanted public sector)

Good luck to everyone! I'm going to guess we'll get notifications on April 30 (the last possible day)...
Bumping this for future threads - I got my letter today (after a phone call saying no letters had been sent yet...). I'm on a big city on the West Coast, date marked is 4.26.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:46 pm

frobscottle wrote:
frobscottle wrote:Just thought I'd toss myself in the ring - also applied EA and have been getting the same little updates as y'all.

high T2 | 3.725 | my school doesn't rank before end of 1L but I'm going to guess, top 10%
2 Recs, both from my 1L professors
Summer: State Gov AG Office (I've always slanted public sector)

Good luck to everyone! I'm going to guess we'll get notifications on April 30 (the last possible day)...
Bumping this for future threads - I got my letter today (after a phone call saying no letters had been sent yet...). I'm on a big city on the West Coast, date marked is 4.26.
Freakin sweet! Congrats. You had me convinced it was bad news.

hdshap

New

Post by hdshap » Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Just got my letter as well. Yey.

CALIqueen

New

Post by CALIqueen » Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 am

In via letter 05/02

3.8x
T2

Future applicants: Deff didn’t think I’d get in EA - so throw your app in! See what happens!

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Fri May 03, 2019 10:03 am

For those who got letters, did you get information on how to pay the deposit or are you expecting a follow up e-mail sometime soon with a password to the admitted students site, etc.? Sort of hoping that if something got lost in the mail, I'd still get an e-mail at some point.

Also I know one of you mentioned the address was on upside down. Wondering if that may be the cause of delay/perhaps some letters not showing up in informed delivery.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 am

hdshap wrote:Just got my letter as well. Yey.
Congrats!! An object lesson to all of us to not overanalyze things:
hdshap wrote:I called back with my name and they said I would receive a decision in the next week or two (with a very dull voice on the other end). While not completely giving up hope, I think that means I was rejected if they let other students know.
Looks like the person who picked up the call never even bothered to check your admission status and just gave you a generic "wait for the mail" response.

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Fri May 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Nevermind guys. Got my letter 8) it didnt scan

Xfer45

New

Post by Xfer45 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 pm

tls_toddy wrote:Nevermind guys. Got my letter 8) it didnt scan
Congrats!!

frobscottle

New

Post by frobscottle » Mon May 06, 2019 1:17 am

Hey folks, has anyone paid a deposit online? I'm trying to see if there's a way to do it without going through the mail (since that takes forever) and haven't found anything just yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 am

frobscottle wrote:Hey folks, has anyone paid a deposit online? I'm trying to see if there's a way to do it without going through the mail (since that takes forever) and haven't found anything just yet.

You need to get your credentials, and then go into "MyAccess" (same site to apply for fin aid). I literally just pulled my check from the mailbox after I saw I could do that.

RentAIC

New

Post by RentAIC » Tue May 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Well, last final done. Now I just have to hope I got that 3.2!

thebirdlawexpert

New

Post by thebirdlawexpert » Tue May 07, 2019 7:41 pm

How do you get credentials to login?

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Tue May 07, 2019 10:12 pm

thebirdlawexpert wrote:How do you get credentials to login?

Status checker

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has had their transfer admission anywhere revoked for dipping below a 3.2? My last final was rough. Also scared my classmates figured out what they did wrong last semester.

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 am

tls_toddy wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has had their transfer admission anywhere revoked for dipping below a 3.2? My last final was rough. Also scared my classmates figured out what they did wrong last semester.
I would try not to worry about it until you have something to worry about. Having said that, I suspect they won't revoke an offer unless it's catastrophic. Many schools don't accept transfer grades lower than C. Not sure what the GULC policy is on transfer credits, but I'd think if that's their policy, you could get as low as a C in a single course and probably be OK. This is speculation. Fingers crossed for you.

I sent in my deposit waiver and withdrew from all other schools, so if the sh** hits the fan GPA-wise, I will have to remain at my own 1L school (or I suppose start applying for transfer elsewhere). Let's hope that doesn't happen to any of us.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 10, 2019 12:09 am

tls_toddy wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has had their transfer admission anywhere revoked for dipping below a 3.2? My last final was rough. Also scared my classmates figured out what they did wrong last semester.
Keep in mind every professor grades differently, so even if your classmates figured out - in retrospect - how they could've aced Prof. A's CIv Pro class, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll ace Prof. B's Crim class this semester.

Fingers crossed!

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:46 pm

hdshap wrote:
clocktower wrote:Currently go to GULC and transferred here. Wanted to check in and just let you all know that coming to GULC as a transfer was a colossal mistake and if I could go back in time I would have either gone to any other school I was accepted to or would not have transferred at all. Happy to answer questions via dm to avoid potentially outing myself here.

Seriously, please think twice about your motivation to go through with this. Many of you have good enough grades at good enough schools to get the same outcome you would get out of GULC for far less money and far less stress.
For some reason I can't message you on this thing. Is there any way you could email me?? I am really really interested in learning more from you. hdshap@gmail.com
Did anyone hear about specifics from Clocktower about his/her GULC transfer experience? If so, could you please email me at tlstransfer2021@gmail.com

I tried to dm Clocktower but did not hear back. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYTransfer

New

Post by NYTransfer » Sat May 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything (positive and negative) about transfers' OCI experience at GULC? Also has anyone applied for housing yet?

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:46 am

QContinuum wrote:
Keep in mind every professor grades differently, so even if your classmates figured out - in retrospect - how they could've aced Prof. A's CIv Pro class, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll ace Prof. B's Crim class this semester.

Fingers crossed!
Thank you! Man I wish I saw this a few days ago. I've been stressed out about grades!

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am

Transfer2021 wrote:
I would try not to worry about it until you have something to worry about. Having said that, I suspect they won't revoke an offer unless it's catastrophic. Many schools don't accept transfer grades lower than C. Not sure what the GULC policy is on transfer credits, but I'd think if that's their policy, you could get as low as a C in a single course and probably be OK. This is speculation. Fingers crossed for you.

I sent in my deposit waiver and withdrew from all other schools, so if the sh** hits the fan GPA-wise, I will have to remain at my own 1L school (or I suppose start applying for transfer elsewhere). Let's hope that doesn't happen to any of us.

Thanks for the perspective. I'm all-in like you. Good luck to us both! With EA transfers, does GULC report on the 509s the GPA at the time of admittance/acceptance, or would they need to report the cumulative GPA of those who enroll?

EDIT: Also, I have not heard from clocktower.

tls_toddy

New

Post by tls_toddy » Tue May 14, 2019 12:46 pm

For future readers, here are consolidated stats for this EA cycle:

Address/Status Checker Changes: 4/1
Letters/Deferral E-mails Sent: 4/26
Letters Received: 05/01 - 05/03
Not all letters scanned via USPS informed delivery, and some people near GULC got later letters, but all dated 4/26 (I think?)

Stats I've been able to glean

Admitted

T1: 3.8/top 10%, Top 12.5%, 3.75
T2s: 3.59/Top 12%, 3.66/Top 10%, 3.725, 3.8x, 3.9x
T3: Top 5%
T4: 3.8

And Deferred:

T1: 3.4/Top 20%,
T3: 3.5/Top 15%, 3.6

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!