U of Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor transfer chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HamiltonBurr

New

U of Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor transfer chances

Post by HamiltonBurr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 pm

3.82, top 10 % at south Texas college of law. I also have a judicial internship for a fed court lined up for the summer. What are my chances at these three schools if get similar grades this semester?

wishywashy

New

Re: U of Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor transfer chances

Post by wishywashy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 am

I don't see how going to Baylor or Oklahoma helps you at all. UT Austin would be the only transfer that makes sense to me. Even if you have some compelling reason to be in Oklahoma I would still think UT Austin would be better - plus the legal market in OK is not doling out 190k a year jobs much (to my knowledge).

What are you trying to get out of this transfer? A more prestigious degree? Better job placement? Jobs outside of Houston? I would think that top 10% as South Texas would get you some solid jobs in the Houston area and probably a shot at Dallas and maybe Austin.

Without more information I would say UT Austin or stay put (or t14 to the extent you can get top 5% or better).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 am

wishywashy wrote:What are you trying to get out of this transfer?
This is the key question. And what's your current scholarship situation?

HamiltonBurr

New

Post by HamiltonBurr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 pm

I want to get out of Houston, and if I graduate from here I’ll never get out. I have a meager scholarship here so that’s not a big concern.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:29 pm

HamiltonBurr wrote:I want to get out of Houston, and if I graduate from here I’ll never get out. I have a meager scholarship here so that’s not a big concern.
The above is not a good reason to seek transfer IMO. To each their own and I don't particularly like Houston, but it's the biggest legal market in TX and most UT law grads go to Houston, with Dallas coming at a close second. Market-paying firms and low COL. Again, I get not liking a city, but you're at STCL. Why would you choose that school if you don't want to work in Houston? You cannot realistically be pegging some niche market like Austin, Denver, or Seattle (I know you didn't mention these cities specifically) as a transfer to OU, Baylor, or even UT. Houston should be on the table. Your reasons for transferring should be linked to increased job prospects and taking into consideration the increased costs of transferring to the school.

In short, UT is the obvious choice. The other two simply don't make sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:34 pm

HamiltonBurr wrote:I want to get out of Houston, and if I graduate from here I’ll never get out. I have a meager scholarship here so that’s not a big concern.
You want to get out of Houston and do... what?

And this:
BasilHallward wrote:Why would you choose that school if you don't want to work in Houston?

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:05 pm

What about getting a good job with a big law or mid law firm and lateraling later (in other words tough it out for a few years then move)?

Also, try to get your clerkship post graduation in another market like Chicago, NY (this might be real hard in SDNY because competition), or some place you want to move.

If you just want out of Houston, but not Texas altogether, then your grades should already get you to Dallas maybe even Austin. I have friends who are current 3L's at your school doing just fine with Dallas jobs lined up near your class rank.

Are you trying to get out of Texas? Consider clerking after school and try to sell your story using that network you make while clerking.

Otherwise I still say UT or t14 or stay put and look to lateral later as a 2-3 year associate (Big Law maybe) . Baylor is a fine school but I don't see that putting you in a better spot than top 10% at your current place, ditto for Oklahoma and the jobs in OK are not as high paying.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:42 pm

wishywashy wrote:
What about getting a good job with a big law or mid law firm and lateraling later (in other words tough it out for a few years then move)?

Also, try to get your clerkship post graduation in another market like Chicago, NY (this might be real hard in SDNY because competition), or some place you want to move.

If you just want out of Houston, but not Texas altogether, then your grades should already get you to Dallas maybe even Austin. I have friends who are current 3L's at your school doing just fine with Dallas jobs lined up near your class rank.

Are you trying to get out of Texas? Consider clerking after school and try to sell your story using that network you make while clerking.

Otherwise I still say UT or t14 or stay put and look to lateral later as a 2-3 year associate (Big Law maybe) . Baylor is a fine school but I don't see that putting you in a better spot than top 10% at your current place, ditto for Oklahoma and the jobs in OK are not as high paying.
Are we talking federal Art. III clerkships here? OP is almost certainly not getting a Art III clerkship as top 10% from STCL. Not trying to be elitist, but that's the reality. 1/298 odds according to STCL employment data and you're bringing clerkships in major markets like Chi and NY. In all likelihood, it's a mag clerkship in Lubbock for a top 1% student. OP needs to focus on keeping grades up and come to grips that Houston presents a lot of legal job opportunities.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Are we talking federal Art. III clerkships here? OP is almost certainly not getting a Art III clerkship as top 10% from STCL. Not trying to be elitist, but that's the reality. 1/298 odds according to STCL employment data and you're bringing clerkships in major markets like Chi and NY. In all likelihood, it's a mag clerkship in Lubbock for a top 1% student. OP needs to focus on keeping grades up and come to grips that Houston presents a lot of legal job opportunities.
Major markets or some other place OP might like to move to. Magistrate or BK judges might work even in major markets if OP has a compelling story or fits well with a judge. Would it be low chances? Probably - but I think OP knows how STCL is ranked - though OP can still apply. Certain state judges might work as well if they are connected (maybe they use to be partners at big law or mid law). Just throwing it out there to get OP thinking and maybe even talking to career services which might assist him even more. And OP said she/he already has a fed clerkship lined up for the summer so the odds may be better than mere school ranking might otherwise show.

But yeah STCL is indeed an unranked law school, and that is what it is. Your point is well taken and staying realistic is good advice (including the very realistic and honestly solid option of staying in Houston and getting a good job).

Lastly, transfer was on the table to UT Austin (and I added t14 - though probably lower t14). If OP does transfer then I think the clerkship route in another state might help establish a network there (to the extent OCI doesn't get OP the desired outcome or clerkship becomes something OP wants).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”