Midwest --> East Coast Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
antidentite

New

Midwest --> East Coast Transfer

Post by antidentite » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Important disclaimer: I am not a law student, but a dental student studying in Boston. I am posting on behalf of my girlfriend who does not enjoy scouring the internet for information and statistics as much as I do.

She is currently a 1L at a T2/T3 with a full scholarship. Her 1st semester GPA was 3.56. And although she won't know her class rank until end of 2nd semester, the median curve is set to 3.0. I would guess and hope she would be at least top 25%. Plus she has another semester to boost it up further.

The school she attends is great regionally, and respected enough in the Midwest where I don't think she would struggle finding a job. She already has an internship at the Institute for Justice this summer (not sure how relevant that would be on a transfer app). But since I am studying in Boston and will almost certainly start practicing on the east coast after graduation, she is willing and wanting to make the move so that her job prospects are better off here. It doesn't hurt that we wouldn't have to fly back and forth to see each other anymore. We've been dating for nearly 5 years and marriage is not a matter of "if" but "when." She wanted to study here from the get-go but it didn't work out.

With that said, she is in the process of applying to BU, BC, and UNH. Based on some 509 reports it looks like she would be within a reasonable GPA range for those schools. But as a non-law student, I am rather unfamiliar with rankings and the importance of regional ties. She would be jumping from a Midwest school ranked ~95 to top 30s in the case of BU and BC. Any information regarding her chances would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to learn more about the process and maybe help boost her confidence in the process.

Return to “Transfers”