Transfering to lower-tier school Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfering to lower-tier school

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:03 am

I go to a T20 school and I'm wondering what are my prospects for transferring to a lower tier school in NYC? The reason why I want to transfer to a lower tier school in NYC is because my family is in NYC and this is ultimately where I would like to practice. The school I go to now is great but its a fairly regional school and I'm worried about my job prospects as well when I want to return to NYC to work. I've been heavily considering Fordham, however, because of a family situation and outside circumstances, my first semester 1L gpa suffered a bit. How important is 1L ranking when transferring down? I know I can bring my grades up this semester, but on the chance that I don't end up in the top 30% of my class, will it affect my ability to transfer to a school like Fordham even if I go to a higher ranking school right now?

Lolstudent

New

Re: Transfering to lower-tier school

Post by Lolstudent » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm

It looks like Fordham's median transfer gpa last year was 3.47 with most students coming from t2/t3 schools. You may get a little gpa bump because your gpa comes from a t20, but I still wouldn't bank on getting in with a gpa shy of 3.7, which is around their transfer 75th percentile.

wishywashy

New

Re: Transfering to lower-tier school

Post by wishywashy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:46 am

Anecdata - someone last transfer cycle had a cumulative 3.5 or so GPA at a lower ranked school and made it into NYU. The reason why this is relevant? They did really well their first semester in law school (think top 5%) then had a big family issue and GPA went into the toilet second semester. NYU bought the explanation. If I recall correctly so did Northwestern.

Perhaps you can do the flip of this - bad first semester and great second semester? I would still give Columbia and NYU a shot and try to pull second semester up as much as possible. You may have less than ideal odds at NYU and Columbia, but for $200 in app fees why not try? You have a good story and that seems to matter to the schools.

TL;DR - try to kill it second semester and apply up the tier as well as down, it's worth the extra cash.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”