T10 --> Columbia/NYU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T10 --> Columbia/NYU

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm

I am currently median at a lower T10, 3.33 first semester GPA. I would like to transfer to Columbia or NYU, due to my interest in being in New York finance law.

What are my chances, and any way I could improve them? Thank you for your insights.

kaiser

Gold

Re: T10 --> Columbia/NYU

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm

It is highly unlikely they are going to accept a median student as a transfer. There are more than enough top 10% students to fill up the transfer class at both schools. If you improve substantially and can get yourself into that top quarter or so, maybe that would change things. Though are you sure its really necessary? Pretty much all of the T10 schools have excellent nationwide reputations and should make you competitive for a big firm position in NY.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 pm

You should really only bother doing this if you have a spouse in NYC or something. Otherwise there's really no point.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:28 pm

kaiser wrote:It is highly unlikely they are going to accept a median student as a transfer. There are more than enough top 10% students to fill up the transfer class at both schools. If you improve substantially and can get yourself into that top quarter or so, maybe that would change things. Though are you sure its really necessary? Pretty much all of the T10 schools have excellent nationwide reputations and should make you competitive for a big firm position in NY.
UVA, Duke, and Michigan all send ~1/3 of their classes to NY. Berkeley only sends around 15%, but I'm assuming most of that is self-selection. https://www.lstreports.com/

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:32 pm

AdieuCali wrote:
kaiser wrote:It is highly unlikely they are going to accept a median student as a transfer. There are more than enough top 10% students to fill up the transfer class at both schools. If you improve substantially and can get yourself into that top quarter or so, maybe that would change things. Though are you sure its really necessary? Pretty much all of the T10 schools have excellent nationwide reputations and should make you competitive for a big firm position in NY.
UVA, Duke, and Michigan all send ~1/3 of their classes to NY. Berkeley only sends around 15%, but I'm assuming most of that is self-selection. https://www.lstreports.com/
Thats what I figured. As someone who went to NYU myself and who helps recruit for my firm, I'm struggling to understand why its necessary unless its for personal reasons. I certainly wouldn't make that move just to increase chances at working in finance for big NY firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stackitup

New

Post by Stackitup » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Fair enough. But, doesn’t a T10 have greater leeway? Median there isn’t median at your random TTT

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Stackitup wrote:
Fair enough. But, doesn’t a T10 have greater leeway? Median there isn’t median at your random TTT
No doubt that median T10 is better than median at a TTT. But median T10 isn't going to get the spot over top 10% at a T20 or T30. And thats where a huge chunk of transfers will come from (as well as the top 1-3% from lower ranked schools).

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:39 pm

kaiser wrote:No doubt that median T10 is better than median at a TTT. But median T10 isn't going to get the spot over top 10% at a T20 or T30. And thats where a huge chunk of transfers will come from (as well as the top 1-3% from lower ranked schools).
Esp. NYU/Columbia. There's a only a million law schools in the NYC area with students with NYC ties who would rather attend a T14 if given the chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm

OP here. Let's just say I have personal reasons for being in NYC, including spouse, location

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Let's just say I have personal reasons for being in NYC, including spouse, location
Then thats the way to sell it. Just do as well as you possibly can this next semester. If you get up to that top quarter, may be a possibility, especially if you have compelling personal reasons for wanting to do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 pm

What's the GPA I should aim for?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the GPA I should aim for?
I mean, its sort of an odd question to ask. Shoot for the highest GPA you can possibly get. Its not like knowing a specific target GPA in advance should condition how you work this next semester. Just do the best you possibly can and see where the chips fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm just wondering what is the 25% gpa

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just wondering what is the 25% gpa
It depends on what school you go to lmao

<3waitlists

New

Post by <3waitlists » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 pm

25th percentile for Columbia is 3.68 and 25th percentile for NYU is 3.49