Transfer Chances from #41 - GW / Gtown and how to ask profs for recs Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mchammered

New

Transfer Chances from #41 - GW / Gtown and how to ask profs for recs

Post by mchammered » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi! I am a 1L at a school in DC ranked around #40... I am looking to transfer early action to either GW or Gtown. My GPA is a 3.71 and I am top 15% of my class, with 1 B, 2 A-'s, 1 A, and 1 A+*. Chances of success here?

Additionally, looking for guidance on how to ask professors for letters of recommendation would be great. I feel awkward asking profs (ones that I know really like me / taught me in classes that I was very successful in) to write my recs, since I've heard some react poorly to that. Any advice would be amazing!

gunesli3

New

Re: Transfer Chances from #41 - GW / Gtown and how to ask profs for recs

Post by gunesli3 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:16 am

No question you'll be accepted at GW, but I wouldn't advise anyone to pay full tuition there, especially coming from a similarly respected school in the region.

<3waitlists

New

Re: Transfer Chances from #41 - GW / Gtown and how to ask profs for recs

Post by <3waitlists » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Great shot at GULC. I also agree with the above poster on GW. Maybe you'll get some access to NY biglaw you wouldn't at GMU's OCI but that's not worth full tuition.

Don't stress over asking for apps. Profs do this all the time. Ask for an appointment, ask for their advice on transferring first, and then end the conversation by asking for the rec itself. Maybe one of them will try to convince you to stay, but GULC transfer > GMU any day of the week. Ask for recs now and send in the GULC EA app. Good luck!

Data on transfers:
https://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blo ... -2017.html

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”