GULC to T6? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SusanSays

New

GULC to T6?

Post by SusanSays » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:24 am

Got 3.8 in the first semester, so I'm probably among top 10% at GULC. No strong softs. I wonder if I had a good chance at T6 if I can do equally well in the second semester.
Actually I don't know whether transfer is a good idea for me. GULC offers me a half ride scholarship, and I'm afraid that I would miss OCI. My career interest is big law.
Should I transfer or just stay at GULC?

QContinuum

Re: GULC to T6?

Post by QContinuum » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:44 am

If you maintain your performance in second semester, yes, I think transferring up to a T6 is very possible. Every year there are several GULC students who make the move.

That said, I agree with your suspicion that transferring may not make too much sense for you, given your scholarship. A half-ride is a hefty amount of $ to lose (transfers don't get scholarships). You'll have your pick of BigLaw firms anyway if you're a transfer-quality GULC student.

Transferring up makes the most sense where the 1L school is outside the T20. Transferring up would get the formerly non-T20 student in front of more firms at OCI (many more firms attend T13/T20 OCIs than non-T20 OCIs), and would also give them a stronger law school "brand" for the rest of their career. For some students, this may be worth the price of giving up a scholarship. But neither of these reasons apply to you. Georgetown has strong OCI attendance and is a strong enough "brand" that it wouldn't handicap you down the road.

Congrats on your success and best wishes for the remainder of 1L!

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:42 am

It won't let me reply anonymously, so OP please PM me. I have some anecdata that may help.

SusanSays

New

Post by SusanSays » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 am

QContinuum wrote:If you maintain your performance in second semester, yes, I think transferring up to a T6 is very possible. Every year there are several GULC students who make the move.

That said, I agree with your suspicion that transferring may not make too much sense for you, given your scholarship. A half-ride is a hefty amount of $ to lose (transfers don't get scholarships). You'll have your pick of BigLaw firms anyway if you're a transfer-quality GULC student.

Transferring up makes the most sense where the 1L school is outside the T20. Transferring up would get the formerly non-T20 student in front of more firms at OCI (many more firms attend T13/T20 OCIs than non-T20 OCIs), and would also give them a stronger law school "brand" for the rest of their career. For some students, this may be worth the price of giving up a scholarship. But neither of these reasons apply to you. Georgetown has strong OCI attendance and is a strong enough "brand" that it wouldn't handicap you down the road.

Congrats on your success and best wishes for the remainder of 1L!
Thanks for you advice! Yeah money matters a lot lol. I'll try to keep my performance and make a decision later.

johnnymacaroni

New

Post by johnnymacaroni » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:54 pm

If you can maintain your grades, you can get a job at virtually any firm in the country. Not much value added to transfer and way more to lose if scholarship money at current school is involved. I'd stay at grind another semester to maintain, and just enjoy killing it at OCI at GULC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Columbia would be worth it, but not NYU.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Wild Card wrote:Columbia would be worth it, but not NYU.
Ignore this, OP. Columbia and NYU students have practically identical opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”